Anyone installed Curt bike rack trailer hitch?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NasGoreList

Looks like they are making the cheapest bike rack hitch bar CURT Trailer Hitch #11396

That retails for under $140.

Has anyone installed one of these? How is the fit and quality?

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/11396/installsheet/CM_11396_INS.PDF

11396_1024x768_a.jpg

i have not installed a Curt hitch on my Leaf but i have installed one on my former Prius and also on my Volvo.

they fit perfect and are very easy to install. i didn't have to raise either of my cars to do the install. was able to do it on level ground while on my back. socket wrench and sockets were all that is required. Torque wrench if you're really picky.

I have not installed that one but I did install this one from Torklift:

http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2013+-Nissan-Leaf-2-Stealth-Trailer-Hitch-p1120.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks quite similar to the Curt Hitch, although it costs quite a bit more. Installation was very straightforward. Note that you have to cut a hole in the plastic shield on the underside of the car. If your Leaf is leased that might cost you some money when it comes time to return it.

You wouldn't have any pics of the Torklift hitch installed on your Leaf? I am strongly considering this for my 2014 SV. Kinda wanted a preview of how it looks/fits. Thanks so much! How did you run trailer wiring or is the hitch for bike carriers, etc.?

Curt

Here is a picture showing the Torklift hitch with a Thule bike rack:

33esfol.jpg

As you can see the hitch itself is almost completely invisible. The receiver barely peaks out from underneath the rear bumper. The yellow tag you can see is part of the bike rack, not the hitch.

I have not used it for towing so I haven't had to deal with wiring.

Excellent! Thanks for the pic. It does seem to tuck under very nicely. I will see what next month brings for projects...

For the torklift:
*NEVER EXCEED YOUR VEHICLE'S MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED TOWING CAPACITY WHICH MAY BE A LOWER RATING THAN THIS TRAILER HITCH*

May? Or is? Anyone know?

I have a Swingman 4 bike rack that I would love to use but didn't know that hitches existed for the Leaf.
Anyone know if 4 bikes on a rack with either of these two hitches are too much weight?

foolios said:
For the torklift:
*NEVER EXCEED YOUR VEHICLE'S MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED TOWING CAPACITY WHICH MAY BE A LOWER RATING THAN THIS TRAILER HITCH*

May? Or is? Anyone know?

I have a Swingman 4 bike rack that I would love to use but didn't know that hitches existed for the Leaf.
Anyone know if 4 bikes on a rack with either of these two hitches are too much weight?
Carrying bikes on a rack attached to the hitch is not like "towing" a trailer or another vehicle at all, so I'm not sure there is any direct comparison of "capacity" to be made in such a situation. There is no published "towing capacity" for the Leaf anyway, as Nissan basically says it should never be done at all, but adding a cargo load to the rear of the car is a different matter entirely, with no dynamic loads from a towed vehicle entering the picture. I would have no problem with a 4-bike carrier attached to the back myself. The total weight would be less than 200 lbs, no? That is like driving with a large man standing on your rear bumper--I don't see how that would upset the car much, myself. Efficiency would go down, certainly, but it wouldn't create a dangerous situation or extraordinary strain and wear on the car, IMHO, especially for just occasional use and short trips. Seeing the tow hitch on the car when it is serviced, however, may give the dealer an excuse to blame you for any failures that might be attributed to towing, even if you never used it for that, so there may be a downside if the dealer is a dick about it.

YMMV,
TT

That makes sense to me. I have been so eager to go biking. It's time to get my hobby back in gear.

Thanks for the support!

I installed the Curt #11396 hitch on my 2013 Leaf SL. It was easy to do and looks great. In fact, I just sold my Leaf but kept the hitch and all the hardware. I would be glad to sell the whole kit to anyone that's interested. First $80 takes it.

Back