Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's funny, as when I called the same number I received the opposite answer.
I think, though, that I may give it a shot without license #, as I'm getting sick of non commuting in the diamond lane and seeing 1 of each 5 cars break the law (1 passenger, no sticker).
garygid said:
I just called the DMV Field Office (number 2nd post above) and they informed me that the Vehicle License Number field entey could be left blank, as long as you had the VIN filled in correctly.

So, I will send my forms 1000 and 4048 in ASAP. :D

mogur said:
So, I called Sacramento and spoke to a very nice gal there who went off and did some research. She claims that the green ZEV Parking Stickers are not supposed to be issued until January 2012. I explained that others have already received them but she would not budge on that fact - not until 2012.

That's a shame. She's wrong of course. I wonder if a different clerk would have a different answer.

For us:

Applications and checks mailed on 1/29/2011, with plate numbers, in one envelope (marked on the outside to indicate two applications inside)

HOV check cleared our bank on 3/29/2011
HOV stickers arrived 3/31
Parking check cleared 3/31
Sticker arrived today 4/6

Both return mailings came with DMV printouts of the vehicle registration, and the HOV sticker mailing included a certificate to be carried in the vehicle.

garygid said:
I just called the DMV Field Office (number 2nd post above) and they informed me that the Vehicle License Number field entey could be left blank, as long as you had the VIN filled in correctly...
I just did the same, and was told that I would need the license plate number on the form, or it would be kicked back. I read my VIN to her and she mentioned that the dealer had not yet submitted my info to the DMV - they have 20 days to do that from the date of purchase.

Received both my white carpool lane stickers and the green-white ZEV parking stickers last week... it took about six weeks (I sent it in Feb. 19), which was not exactly fast, but faster than I had expected (I had been told up to 8 weeks). I received my stickers just a few days after the checks were cashed, so if you see they were cashed and two weeks go by, I would call in.
If anyone lives in the Bay Area, there is electric car parking just outside of the city offices at 1947 Center Street... kind of nice when parking is jammed on a weekend.
Keep the faith, if you send it, the stickers will come.

Josh

P.S. -- I sent my form in two days after getting the car, with no license #, and the forms went through just fine (you need the VIN, of course).
J

barsad22 said:
P.S. -- I sent my form in two days after getting the car, with no license #, and the forms went through just fine (you need the VIN, of course).

Out of curiosity, is your plate number on the HOV certificate? It may be that you don't absolutely need to provide the plate number at application time, but the VIN needs to have become associated with a plate number before they will issue stickers, and maybe they just did that step for you, once your registration was completed and plates were issued?

Perhaps it depends on the clerk processing the form - it would not surprise me at all if some individuals were more likely than others to go out of their way to complete the mapping for a plate-less application.

As noted above, both my HOV and parking stickers came with full reprints of the car's DMV registration.

ok, I got my parking sticker today. So I'm confused where it's supposed to go. It says the driver's side rear window. Does that mean on the little rear window on the side, or the left side of the rear window?

malloryk said:
ok, I got my parking sticker today. So I'm confused where it's supposed to go. It says the driver's side rear window. Does that mean on the little rear window on the side, or the left side of the rear window?

I take that to mean rear window on the left side. The meter-maid would be looking at the back end of your car (assuming it wasn't backed in).

Jimmydreams said:
malloryk said:

I take that to mean rear window on the left side. The meter-maid would be looking at the back end of your car (assuming it wasn't backed in).
That makes the most sense, since it also won't block the driver's vision in that location.

mwalsh said:
mxp said:
Is there a picture of the "parking" decal? Where on the car do you affix the parking decal and how does the parking decal work/or used?

IMG00358.jpg.scaled.500.jpg

Affix to the rear window or rear bumper. Allows you to park in spaces designated as 'Electric Vehicle Only' without fear of citation or tow.

Thanks for posting up the pic Mike! :)

When I called, I was told you must have a license number or they will be returned... However, it appears clear they you get different answers depending on whom you speak to, so who knows what to believe or what will happen.

Fabio said:
that's funny, as when I called the same number I received the opposite answer.
I think, though, that I may give it a shot without license #, as I'm getting sick of non commuting in the diamond lane and seeing 1 of each 5 cars break the law (1 passenger, no sticker).
garygid said:
I just called the DMV Field Office (number 2nd post above) and they informed me that the Vehicle License Number field entey could be left blank, as long as you had the VIN filled in correctly.

So, I will send my forms 1000 and 4048 in ASAP. :D

Got license plates yesterday, finally. Took almost one month.
Will be filing HOV and Parking apps today.

Now, could you guys tell me whether I should fill out the fields in the Parking Application:

"This document is executed in (city) _____, California, on _____ (date)

Seems like these fields are for clerk use, but they are editable which make me confused.

Thanks.

jason98 said:
Got license plates yesterday, finally. Took almost one month.
Will be filing HOV and Parking apps today.

Now, could you guys tell me whether I should fill out the fields in the Parking Application:

"This document is executed in (city) _____, California, on _____ (date)

Seems like these fields are for clerk use, but they are editable which make me confused.

Thanks.

I filled out those fields, and my applications seemed to go through ok. I'm pretty you're supposed to fill them out.

A very kind lady today, who took her time to call in the office that deals with the application, and gave me an answer that finally made sense to me. If your VIN is in the system, a license plate is automatically assigned to that VIN, and the DMV employee can process the application (even if the field is blank). If your VIN is not in the system the application will not be processes.

DeaneG said:
garygid said:
I just called the DMV Field Office (number 2nd post above) and they informed me that the Vehicle License Number field entey could be left blank, as long as you had the VIN filled in correctly...
I just did the same, and was told that I would need the license plate number on the form, or it would be kicked back. I read my VIN to her and she mentioned that the dealer had not yet submitted my info to the DMV - they have 20 days to do that from the date of purchase.

malloryk said:
I filled out those fields, and my applications seemed to go through ok. I'm pretty you're supposed to fill them out.

Thanks, malloryk.
One more question though.
I can't find the mailing address to send the parking application to. It is not on the form:
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf

It is also missing on the web page:
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.htm

Oops, sorry. Found it on the form, was looking at the wrong place.

That's correct, the forms came with the plate number on them, even though I didn't have it on the original form. They wait until they get the electronically transmitted registration form from the dealership and a plate assignment, and then they process the forms and cash the checks. New Leaf owners, don't worry about what you're told at DMV (did you really think you would get accurate, efficient service from the DMV?), just send the forms in and start the countdown, then call in 8 weeks and start complaining if you don't see your checks cashed.

Josh

wsbca said:
barsad22 said:

Out of curiosity, is your plate number on the HOV certificate? It may be that you don't absolutely need to provide the plate number at application time, but the VIN needs to have become associated with a plate number before they will issue stickers, and maybe they just did that step for you, once your registration was completed and plates were issued?

Perhaps it depends on the clerk processing the form - it would not surprise me at all if some individuals were more likely than others to go out of their way to complete the mapping for a plate-less application.

As noted above, both my HOV and parking stickers came with full reprints of the car's DMV registration.

NO free tolls of Fastrak in Bay Area, you get reduced tolls in the HOV lane during HOV hours, that applies to all cars in the HOV lane. No more free tolls for anyone as of July 1 2010.

Back