Anyone else miffed at Nissan for lease incentive structure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brg2290

I've been attempting to secure a NMAC lease on a 2012 Leaf. So far, here's what I've learned about the NMAC lease incentives:

1. Incentive is tied to the prospective purchaser's zip code.
2. I've seen three different tiers for lease incentives. For example, my zip code qualifies for $8025 lease incentive. Joe Lukasik has posted that Kayser Nissan's Wisconsin zip qualifies for $9075. Englewood, CO. and Seattle, WA - $9775.

I live 280 miles from Seattle, and my prospective lease incentive is $1750 less than my same state neighbors. I can't cross shop for a better lease on the west side of the state because my incentive is tied to my zip code. $1750 over 24 months makes my payment $73.00 per month higher than someone who is eligible for the $9775 incentive.

This explains why Larry H. Miller Nissan in Englewood, CO is running a 0 down, $489 taxes and fees, $177 per month lease ad on the masthead of their website, while the best payment I can come up with is $240 per month (which I know is not bad, but $$177 per month is a fair bit more attractive).

Spokane is not a particularly small city, but there is virtually no public charging infrastructure here. They don't sell a ton of Leaf's here. I'm sure other cities are similar. Given these disadvantages, why would Nissan add one more obstacle by not making their best lease incentive available in these areas? Has this been a source of frustration for anyone else?

I was ready to lease a Leaf, but seeing that my zip code apparently has lower lease incentives than other zip codes I won't go for it. The idea driving an electric car is attractive to me, the idea that I am charged more because I live where I live is a turn off. Not with me, Nissan, I want an electric car but I don't need it.

It is simple for me: If I get a good deal comparable to what I see is accomplishable, I am ready to lease today. If not - oh well, my 12 yo Ford costs less per year than any new car that depreciates.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to offer regional incentives (all of Southern California, for example) but I've never heard of one slicing and dicing it to the extent that Nissan apparently is. Nor have I heard of one being tied to the zip code where you live rather than where the dealer is located...

All I care about is how much they want to charge vs. how much I'm willing to pay. I really don't care how they arrive at their offer. They could be consulting a Magic 8 Ball. It's a corporation. Expecting their "reasons" to make sense is bound to lead to disappointment. :lol:

The price was acceptable and I wanted the car so we had a deal.

magic8ball.jpg

Not sure why anyone cares about regional incentives, state incentives are different as well. Go to the dealer you want to buy form and negotiate, I have seen $130 a month in Colorado with nothing down and all taxes and fess included. That's a total cost of $3120 for 24 months. Negotiate or don't get the car.

EVDRIVER said:
Not sure why anyone cares about regional incentives, state incentives are different as well. Go to the dealer you want to buy form and negotiate, I have seen $130 a month in Colorado with nothing down and all taxes and fess included. That's a total cost of $3120 for 24 months. Negotiate or don't get the car.

You just made my point - $130 per month in Colorado most certainly was influenced by Nissan incentives, which, as I stated, are higher in parts (all?) of Colorado. At this point the best price lease deal is highly impacted by Nissan incentives, which are tied to zip.

Regarding your suggestion to negotiate, I've tried that as well. Since the lease incentive is established by Nissan / NMAC, they establish the parameters, not the dealers. So, I called the Nissan Leaf toll free number and spoke with a customer service representative I've been working with and explained the discrepancies in incentives vs. zip codes. I asked if they would be willing to make a special dispensation and allow me the same incentive as a Seattle zip code. She called me back later that day, said it went up three levels above her, and the answer came back "Unfortunately, no."

EVDRIVER said:

You are right. I negotiated and I won't get the car.
No harm to me, I can live without a Nissan product.

So how does one determine what incentive/discount their particular zipcode provides?

cBeam said:
EVDRIVER said:

You are right. I negotiated and I won't get the car.
No harm to me, I can live without a Nissan product.

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, lots of things are more expensive because of where I live. I guess I could boycott realtors, grocery stores, gas stations... Oh, wait... :p

gergg said:
So how does one determine what incentive/discount their particular zipcode provides?
You can start by calling dealerships in your area. I'm not sure if it would be best to talk with a salesperson, the sales manager, or the finance person. You can look on the local dealerships website to see if there are any Leaf lease offers, then look for the fine print and read it to see the incentive. You may be able to call Nissan Leaf 800 customer service number and ask them. I would suggest checking multiple sources just to make sure you're getting the correct information.

Where are you located?

Miffed at Nissan? No. Would like to get the same incentives here in FL as other parts of the country but that is capitalism in the US. There are no standard prices for electricity either, should I be miffed at the power company? Plus any way you look at the LEAF lease deal, it is one of the best around so go for it and enjoy.

Back