Aftermarket head unit (android) for e-NV200'14

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metten

Hello everyone, I have joined this group because I was surging for experience with replacing the original Carwings head unit with a universal 2din Android car radio. I read a lot of posts with the same question but no real answers. I had replaced the touchscreen of the Clarion unit and ended up with a nice and clear black screen. I have to figure out how to resolve that. Meanwhile I bought a Boscer android 13 radio to be build in (equal to the Podofo). I ordered an Open Vehicle Monitoring System to replace the Nissan Connect features. I only need a smart guy to write an app to display the interior temperature setting and the stand of the blower and the blower speed. I think the head unit only displays values and settings via the Canbus and the controls are done by the ECU. Trial and error will do the job.

I don’t understand that, and I don’t write code, but I do hate the screen on my 2019 leaf sv. You sound like you have looked into this sort of stuff. Any advice? Right now I’m going under the assumption of “it’s a nightmare, just live with it” but if it’s not I am interested.

I am waiting for some wiring harness and the OVMS unit. I will post an update when the radio is installed. For the OVMS unit I hope the result is in line with the information available online. It should replace the Nissan Connect service which isn't connecting . https://www.openvehicles.com/

Hi Metten,

with and Android radio you can install LeafSpy Pro, and enable a custom screen which will show the climate status. Only extra thing you need is a compatible OBD bluetooth dongle, look for info around this forum.

As for OVMS, it does replace everything the Nissan Connect does and then some (It should be able to stop charging as well). Fair warning for iPhone users, the iOS app is not great but does do everything you need, you just might need to do some of the things through the command line portion. Android app is better.

Hi Metten,

with and Android radio you can install LeafSpy Pro, and enable a custom screen which will show the climate status. Only extra thing you need is a compatible OBD bluetooth dongle, look for info around this forum.

As for OVMS, it does replace everything the Nissan Connect does and then some (It should be able to stop charging as well). Fair warning for iPhone users, the iOS app is not great but does do everything you need, you just might need to do some of the things through the command line portion. Android app is better.
Thanks for your reply. I use an android phone, one problem fixed. Also have Leafspy pro with OBDII transmitter. The OVMS reads the HVAC signals too. (https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html). That will be a nice puzzle for me to figure out how to make it visible.
I have removed the clarion head unit and connected the android radio. Pos; car still drives, neg; android radio does not power up. The wiring harness I used is for Nissan Qashqai, I'm not sure it is the right layout. I've asked the radio supplier for advice, no answer yet. I have to search the forum for a wiring diagram of the Clarion QY-7251. I think I have to make a wiring harness myself,already struggling to find the right sockets. I don't want to cut in the original wiring.
Facing the rear of the Clarion the upper left grey socket is not in the wiring harness and contains the external microphone and aux I like to use. The blue socket is the original USB also not in the harness. The canbus box socket of the harness does not fit the Android radio. I had to order a separate adapter for the GPS (not included) and radio antenna (wrong socket) at Amazon, both more expensive than the wiring harness.

Attachments

• DSC_0295 1.JPG
    DSC_0295 1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • OVMS_Metrics.png
    OVMS_Metrics.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0296~2.JPG
    DSC_0296~2.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 0
  • adapterkabel.png
    adapterkabel.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Metten,

Thanks for the LeafSpy info. I didn't see the HVAC info before but now I have found a lot hidden screens in the LeafSpy app. The app isn't consequent in shifting screens. Some screens you have to tap other you need to swipe from left to right or from top to bottom. Doesn't matter anyway I found the screen and it gives me the information. HVAC info is not updated very fast or not applicable after changes made. Has this something to do with the sampling rate?

Regarding the radio wiring, from what I know the head unit is identical to the Leaf so the AV section of the service manual should apply to your car as well. You can find it here: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals From a cursory glance the wiring shown seems to correspond to the Leaf wiring diagram but obviously I can't see what's going on in your car. Better to grab a multimeter and verify. One thing Nissan is pretty known for is not grounding the radio through the harness, instead relying on the chassis of the radio.

The top left connector goes to the TCU and should not need to be used, more than likely the microphone will not work well with an aftermarket radio. Aux input should come from the larger main connector.

That is the information I was looking for, thanks a lot. Now I can wire it up by measurement, more safe than trial and error. It will take me some time to get it done but more fun when I succeed. Unfortunately I broke the two pins of the camera so I have to wait for the new pins to arrive. I'll make sure to ground the radio through the car chassis.
I will post a picture of the home made harness.

I don’t understand that, and I don’t write code, but I do hate the screen on my 2019 leaf sv. You sound like you have looked into this sort of stuff. Any advice? Right now I’m going under the assumption of “it’s a nightmare, just live with it” but if it’s not I am interested.
The e-NV200 car works fine without the head unit so you don't have to live with it. It only takes time and perseverance to get back the things you want and some money and patience. I do like the Hewlett Packard old commercial quote "Nothing is impossible". If you don't want to live with it change it. Thank to the input from FinnishCoffee I am sure it is possible. Keep an eye on this thread for the final result.

The e-NV200 car works fine without the head unit so you don't have to live with it. It only takes time and perseverance to get back the things you want and some money and patience. I do like the Hewlett Packard old commercial quote "Nothing is impossible". If you don't want to live with it change it. Thank to the input from FinnishCoffee I am sure it is possible. Keep an eye on this thread for the final result.
P.S, I don't write code either but there are a lot off guys that does. For the OVMS I guess some codes are needed and a lot off enthusiasts are willing to help if needed. I just enjoy the challenge.

It took me some time to get the right pinout for the e-NV200. Finally I bought the workshop manual at https://easymanuals.co.uk/product/n...pdf-workshop-service-repair-manual-2017-2020/ only € 20 for 7872 pages!

The Android radio is much smaller than the Original Clarion head unit. With a small adjustment of the rounded corners in the dash the Android fitted well and is kept in place just by epoxy glue.

ABRP on screen with actual SoC through Android Auto, works perfect with the original GPS antenna. SoC input comes from the unsurpassed OVMS module. There is lots of space for the OVMS module and the GPS and GSM antenna behind the Android radio in Cluster Pannel. For the OBDII socket I loosened the male socket because in the e-NV200 there is nearly enough space fore the cable.

I still have to connect some wires to get all functionality but this can only be done when the new pins are delivered. FM signal is week as is the DAB+, also something to resolve.

Thanks to the support of @FinnishCoffee and @mark from Openvehicles.com

As coincident last week I received a mail from Nissan support:

“We will inform you regarding your technical file with reference number 02015603.

We are sending you this message to inform you that the NissanConnect EV app that can be paired with your vehicle [VSKTAAME0U0503504] is being disabled in preparation for the retirement of 2G technology. This affects Nissan LEAF and eNV200 vehicles produced up to 2016.

The discontinuation of the NissanConnect EV app is related to the decision of the mobile network operators that affects all car manufacturers using the same 2G technology.

As a result, these vehicles will no longer be able to use Nissan Connect services remotely via the NissanConnect EV app from April 1, 2024. That is why you can no longer create a new account.

We want to assure you that the most important functions, such as the climate control timer and the charging timer, can be accessed directly through your car's navigation system. Please refer to the videos linked in the Nissan driver's guide app and your owner's manual for more information on how to use these features.

You can count on Nissan's continued commitment and investment in more advanced technologies and platforms for future products.

Thank you for being a Nissan owner and for your support.”

Attachments

• DSC_0341.JPG
    DSC_0341.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0341.JPG
    DSC_0341.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back