AERO vs LEVITON vs SCHNEIDER

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suwaneedad

OK team, the number of threads is overwhelming. I take delivery (one of the first in Atlanta) next month and need to understand if there are any practical differences (e.g., slower vs faster charging, shorter vs longer cord) among these three options. If not, I'll go with the Schneider model via Home Depot, due to price. Thank you very much!

suwaneedad said:
OK team, the number of threads is overwhelming. I take delivery (one of the first in Atlanta) next month and need to understand if there are any practical differences (e.g., slower vs faster charging, shorter vs longer cord) among these three options. If not, I'll go with the Schneider model via Home Depot, due to price. Thank you very much!

Save your money... Convert your Nissan supplied 120v EVSE to a level 2 at EVSEUpgrade... I believe there's a banner at the top of this joint to their website... :ugeek:

Schneider is "indoors" only if that would be an
important limitation. I have one that has been
working like a charm for two months.

6150839269_3fa602ef78.jpg

6148491352_3c6a3b8e9e_z.jpg

All that have these three seem to report no issues.
I prefer the look of Schneider and bought mine from Home Depot.
Only reason to go with Leviton would be that it only requires 20 amp main feed.
Look for AV on ebay for best price if still available.

I have used my EVSE upgrade for almost everything. I use it at 110v during the day while i am at work and 220v whenever i am at home. I bought adapters so when i am at a friends house i plug into their dryer outlet or when i am at a park or campground i plug in there.

hodad66 said:
Schneider is "indoors" only if that would be an
important limitation. I have one that has been
working like a charm for two months.

Actually, Schneider has several indoor/outdoor models available, though not necessarily cheap.

I personally have an AV unit installed. Can't tell you how it works yet. My dashboard still says week of December 5th. :)

http://static.schneider-electric.us... Vehicle Charging/Outdoor EVCS/2800CT1001.pdf

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SC...m_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-BTM_BTB05209020&cm_vc=IDPBBZ2
Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-11X294_AW01.JPG

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SCHNEIDER-ELECTRIC-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-11X296
Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-11X296_AW01.JPG

charlestonleafer said:
As far as price goes, EVSE upgrade would be the cheapest. AV would be next in line @ $660 with shipping.
Actually the AV unit is the cheapest *complete* unit, while the getting the EVSE upgraded is the cheapest path to 240v charging. Don't forget that buying a new/2nd Nissan EVSE will set you back from $700 (parts.com) to $900+ (dealer) before the upgrade. I think most like the idea of keeping the Nissan EVSE in the car and so would like to have a complete unit like the AV mounted on the wall. However, I'd recommend getting the EVSE upgraded in either case.

There is also the consideration that the total cost after installation may be higher for a unit like the AV that requires a 40a circuit, while if someone already has a 20a or 30a 240v outlet available the upgraded unit or lower amperage wall units like the Legrand can just plug right in with a simple adapter.

fooljoe said:
There is also the consideration that the total cost after installation may be higher for a unit like the AV that requires a 40a circuit, while if someone already has a 20a or 30a 240v outlet available the upgraded unit or lower amperage wall units like the Legrand can just plug right in with a simple adapter.[/quote ]

I did the AV install on 30AMP As I had the Water heater plug available and the AV unit is able to run at 24 amp without a problem. I understand I will not be able to use the next level 6.6 chargers that need a 40amp setup but then again when will that be. Cost of install was only 100.00 to remove the plug and place the AV unit on the wall . SO alot of people with heater or dryer plugs could easily change out or move wires to a nearby location on 30 AMPs without problem or cost.

:idea:

mksE55 said:
fooljoe said:
There is also the consideration that the total cost after installation may be higher for a unit like the AV that requires a 40a circuit, while if someone already has a 20a or 30a 240v outlet available the upgraded unit or lower amperage wall units like the Legrand can just plug right in with a simple adapter.[/quote ]

I did the AV install on 30AMP As I had the Water heater plug available and the AV unit is able to run at 24 amp without a problem. I understand I will not be able to use the next level 6.6 chargers that need a 40amp setup but then again when will that be. Cost of install was only 100.00 to remove the plug and place the AV unit on the wall . SO alot of people with heater or dryer plugs could easily change out or move wires to a nearby location on 30 AMPs without problem or cost.

:idea:

Yes, that will work, however, it does not meet code, and no electrical inspector will "sign off" on it. Just keep that in mind, its fine for a DIY install, but no electrician is going to do that for you and get it permitted and inspected, as it will not pass.

mksE55 said:

Leviton or Legrand would have been better in this situation. Possibly need to swap the breaker down to 20 amps. Wire can always be oversize.
Or are you saying the AV unit was set to charge at 24 amps max down from the standard 30 amps?

mksE55 said:
I did the AV install on 30AMP As I had the Water heater plug available and the AV unit is able to run at 24 amp without a problem
I'm not aware that the AV unit allows you to select the amperage used like the SPX does. Of course it would *work* on a 30a or 20a circuit, and probably even on a 15a circuit, as the current Leaf won't ever draw more than 16a. However, as Mitch pointed out, code requires that a 40a-rated device like the AV unit be installed on at least a 40a-rated circuit. Of course the realistic worst-case is that at some unknown point in the future someone with a MY13 Leaf or a Focus EV or Tesla or whatever might try to plug in to your AV and your breaker will trip.

Just got my Schneider unit from Home Despot. Leviton is available for more at electric supply places. Home Despot is close and a return if necessary is readily available. Using a credit card extended the warranty. Two electricians have looked at it. The two fuses are 60 amps. They say that the breakers and associated wiring have to be 60 amp. This raises the cost of materials slightly. My house house has 200 amp service so that is not a problem. Does anyone have a perspective on this? It would seem to be a good idea to also have the Nissan supplied unit upgraded to take advantage of opportunities while out and about.

Have the electrician re-read the install instructions.
Especially the part about a 40 amp circuit.

The ampacity of the internal fuses does not play a role in determining the circuit to be added.

tech01 said:
They say that the breakers and associated wiring have to be 60 amp. This raises the cost of materials slightly. My house house has 200 amp service so that is not a problem. Does anyone have a perspective on this?
Um, try a 3rd electrician. This is definitely wrong. Take a look at the installation instructions here. Page 2 left column Preparation->Power Requirements->Feeder Circuit Breaker: two-pole, 40A.

tech01 said:
Just got my Schneider unit from Home Despot. Leviton is available for more at electric supply places. Home Despot is close and a return if necessary is readily available. Using a credit card extended the warranty. Two electricians have looked at it. The two fuses are 60 amps. They say that the breakers and associated wiring have to be 60 amp. This raises the cost of materials slightly. My house house has 200 amp service so that is not a problem. Does anyone have a perspective on this? It would seem to be a good idea to also have the Nissan supplied unit upgraded to take advantage of opportunities while out and about.

are you sure they are quality electricians. they really need to read the install manual. this is not just guess work and look inside the unit.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. G.E. also offers a charge station for $1500ish. Now has anyone substituted the group size 45 regular battery with either or a larger group size or deep cycle bigger group size (like a sump pump battery). Also has anyone augmented the small PV panel in the spoiler :?:

Back