Actual charging time always less than predicted by LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilingbee

Example: Our LEAF tells us that it will take 3:30 to get to 80% charge. I plug-in our Blink EVSE and the LEAF charge timer is set to start at 12AM. The next morning I go to unplug the LEAF, and the Blink tells me the last charge was completed in 2:21.

What explains the discrepancy between the LEAF's predicted 3:30 to reach 80% and the Blink reporting that it only took 2:21? This has happened several times now, with the Blink reporting charge completion times between 2:12 and 2:21.

smilingbee said:
Example: Our LEAF tells us that it will take 3:30 to get to 80% charge. I plug-in our Blink EVSE and the LEAF charge timer is set to start at 12AM. The next morning I go to unplug the LEAF, and the Blink tells me the last charge was completed in 2:21.

What explains the discrepancy between the LEAF's predicted 3:30 to reach 80% and the Blink reporting that it only took 2:21? This has happened several times now, with the Blink reporting charge completion times between 2:12 and 2:21.

It's as crazy as the Guess-O-Meter !!! Who knows? I know in Japan, they use 100 volt and 200 volts, instead of 120 and 240. That may have something to do with it.

Happens to me too. Carwings predicts 3:30 and it takes 3 hours. I think it has to do with what voltage you have. I'll bet it's figuring the time based on the worst-case of 16 Amps at 208V, but since we are charging at 240 it takes less time.

Let's see, 208*16*3.5 = 11.65 kWh & 11.65 kWh takes 3:02 at 240V & 16A. Sounds right...

A few days ago, I was down to 5 bars (from 10). The car showed it would take 3 hours to 80% and the Blink only took 1 1/2 hours! Even from 6 bars, it usually takes about 2 hours, so I believe I had a little help that day.

Same here. I was testing the Leaf charger time settings with no start time, only an end time at 5 am. (So that I would not always be starting exactly at 12:10 am every day - no other EVs in my neighborhood that would add a load at the same time, but just wanted to see how it would work) The Leaf actually started charging around 11 am (outside my superoff peak of midnight.) I had to change the end time to 6:30 am so that it would start after midnight. In both occasions that actual charging time needed was only a few hours. Very conservative estimates. I wonder if Nissan could confirm if this is just being conservative or based on calculations with different charging voltages in Japan as you speculate/calculate. hmm.

I think it's better for Nissan to be conservative and have owners pleasantly surprised that it gets done sooner than making a more accurate estimate but have owners be mad if something causes it to take longer.

I've recently started noticing the same thing. It does take less time to recharge than indicated. I wonder why?

Back