Accessory Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverLeaf

Does anyone know the telltale signs of a degrading accessory battery?

Here in Arizona, an accessory battery typically lasts 2 years or so.

I expect slightly longer in the LEAF due to the trickle charge from the solar panel (minimal).

When the battery starts to go in a gas powered vehicle, the cold cranking signals the battery is starting to fail.

How will we know when the battery starts to fail in our LEAF? Are there any telltale signs?

Testing a lead-acid battery involves measuring the voltage while under a significant load for a certain time duration. A poor-man's approach is to crank the starter for awhile. We don't have that "luxury", but there are tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt-12-volt-battery-load-tester-90636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some parts stores will run the test for you for free. I think I've heard that autozone will do this. Your dealer can certainly run a check during regular maintenance, of course.

Nubo said:
Testing a lead-acid battery involves measuring the voltage while under a significant load for a certain time duration. A poor-man's approach is to crank the starter for awhile. We don't have that "luxury", but there are tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt-12-volt-battery-load-tester-90636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some parts stores will run the test for you for free. I think I've heard that autozone will do this. Your dealer can certainly run a check during regular maintenance, of course.
That's the exact one I use, runs about $19.99 when on sale. Works like a champ!

I am also in AZ. I read that our accessory battery may last longer than the batteries in non EV cars because of the lower under the hood temperatures and the absence of high current starting. I guess only time will tell.

myleaf said:
I am also in AZ. I read that our accessory battery may last longer than the batteries in non EV cars because of the lower under the hood temperatures and the absence of high current starting. I guess only time will tell.

Seems logical. In my '91 Miata the original battery (located in the trunk) lasted 7 years -- two in Cleveland winters, and 5 in hot inland CA summers. Not sure how much was due to the location vs the fact that the OEM Panasonic AGM battery was highly regarded...

Just measure the battery voltage when the car has been off for a couple of hours.. below 12V you got trouble.

I suspect these batteries may last the life of the car, they are not used to crank over an engine.

Back