A possible charge station etiquette solution

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainnw

A year and a half ago, I built a system that allows driver to communicate their charging intentions with one another. We now have over 100 Seattle area EV drivers on the system. I think its robust enough to share with other EV drivers at this point.

It is called ChargeSticker: http://www.chargesticker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea is simple. Instead of posting your name and phone number on your dash, a sticker provides an anonymous and uniform method of contacting the car owner using any cell phone. Printed on the "sticker" is a special phone number and a 7 digit unique code. You can either call or text the special phone number, and you will be anonymously connected to the car owner. The driver can then communicate their charging intentions.

No mobile websites, apps, etc. required. Just lowest common denominator communication.

Let me know if you find it useful or have any suggestions. I am running this as a free service for the fellow EV community, and hopefully it well help reduce some of the frustration between the long term charger and the driver looking for a quick top off.

Hey, thanks!

Just signed up. Simple to create an account and generate the sticker. I think I'll leave one version on the dash and print one to an actual sticker for the inside of the charge hatch.

I like it a lot, as some people don't use smart phones, so no apps, and/or not everyone always checks in or even uses PlugShare to send a message. Like the anonymity of it too.

What a great idea!

Just signed up. I always disliked having to leave a sign on my dash with my cell # on it. This is perfect. I can laminate this card and put it on my dash or visor etc for when I use public charging and not sitting in or near my car.

Thanks. Hoepfull this spreads to all the other EV sites and boards.

I just signed up. It would be nice to have a sticker that also explained how to know when charging was complete on your model car so that they could simply unplug you. Presuming nothing weird that would need you to stay plugged.

I park in Denver at Canopy parking and there are three Juice Bars accessible to about 4 parking spaces each. Typically two are ICEd and the one plug is in another car. If I think they are done charging, I unplug and plug myself in. By the time I return, the same has typically been done to me. I have never had someone unplug me before I was finished.

A proper weatherproofed sticker with instructions and sized for the door over your charger port could be used to subsidize this business model. I would pay $10 for that sticker if done well.

One big problem with this just occurred to me. I have a cell phone, not a smart phone. It has texting capability, but I have texting blocked. A text sender does not get a message that the text did not go through, and I receive no word that there was a text. Unless the wording on the sticker made clear that the person had to CALL, not just text, the number, this could lead to some nasty misunderstandings.

In case someone is wondering why I have texts blocked, it's because in the six years I've had a cell phone I've only received three texts that were something useful to me, e.g., friends letting me know they were running late, etc. The rest were all either my cell provider sending me admin stuff I get on email anyway, or spam. Each text costs me 20 cents and they're a distraction when they happen when I'm driving. I don't see why I should pay to get advertising I don't want. I also can't text back - the stupid little phone keys are just not suited to typing, and so far as I can tell, there is no backspace to fix a typo or error, or cancel a text without sending.

So far as I know there is no way to create a text "white list" to allow a text from this site but block all the spam. So the advantage is largely lost on me. I would just as soon put up a note with my cell phone number and an instruction to call, but as I said earlier, I almost never use public charging. I still think the idea is a clever one and suitable for most people, probably.

I think calling is a little intrusive. I much prefer the asynchronous communication /privacy of texting.

I understand why you wouldn't want to spend 25 cents per spam text several times a month though.

Rat said:
One big problem with this just occurred to me. I have a cell phone, not a smart phone. It has texting capability, but I have texting blocked. A text sender does not get a message that the text did not go through, and I receive no word that there was a text. Unless the wording on the sticker made clear that the person had to CALL, not just text, the number, this could lead to some nasty misunderstandings.

In case someone is wondering why I have texts blocked, it's because in the six years I've had a cell phone I've only received three texts that were something useful to me, e.g., friends letting me know they were running late, etc. The rest were all either my cell provider sending me admin stuff I get on email anyway, or spam. Each text costs me 20 cents and they're a distraction when they happen when I'm driving. I don't see why I should pay to get advertising I don't want. I also can't text back - the stupid little phone keys are just not suited to typing, and so far as I can tell, there is no backspace to fix a typo or error, or cancel a text without sending.

So far as I know there is no way to create a text "white list" to allow a text from this site but block all the spam. So the advantage is largely lost on me. I would just as soon put up a note with my cell phone number and an instruction to call, but as I said earlier, I almost never use public charging. I still think the idea is a clever one and suitable for most people, probably.

i suggest making your own sign then.

I just signed up Wifey and me. Great concept.

One can have their phone carrier block premium texts and knock out lots of spam and blocks all costly picture texts. Other txts will still get through.

One can also get a google phone number for free and do free texting through google voice or talkatone. I have both on my iphone but now that I have unlimited texts, I use it rarely. I always give my google number to car salesmen, and other people I don't want to have my real number. Because it is internet based, sometimes goog texts can be slow which is why I did the chargesticker. Some goog texts are right on time and all phone calls are spot on.

Back