8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbonez

This can't be good for deliveries. Pray for the People.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

_51632164_jex_982715_de27-1.jpg

Screw the car and deliveries. I hope that people are OK.

8.9 magnitude is HUGE. Biggest I've been was the Loma Prieta in '89 which was "only" a 6.9. A 8.9 is 100 times stronger. The recent quake in New Zealand which did a lot of damage was "only" a 6.3.

Those videos of water coming in and aftershock are surreal. My prayers. Hawaii, Taiwan, Phillipines under Tsunami warning and west coast under watch. Be safe ppl and My Prayers.

The videos from Sendai area are just frightening. This will not doubt have tremendous impact on all of Honshu. Our hearts and prayers for all those in the effected areas. Oppama is approx 250 miles SSW from the epicenter which is a significant enough distance to be felt as moderate and has a large penisula protecting it from a direct tsunami from the epicenter.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/global/shake/c0001xgp/

Reported 30 foot tsunami hits Sendai, just devastating. Not much time to react to get 1 million people mobilzed to higher ground. My delivery concerns are so petty now. :oops:

Godzilla and Katrina are trending on Twitter right now. Way to stay classy, America.

Hopefully, everyone gets to safe areas. The Leafs will get here when they get here. It's just a car.

sdbonez said:

The video that this image comes from is frightening. The water level rose to the bottom of the bridge at the top of the frame when the video ended and was still on the rise. Boats and cars were getting smashed into the bridge. Looked like everyone was clear. Our prayers are with the people living in these coastal areas.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
Godzilla and Katrina are trending on Twitter right now. Way to stay classy, America.

Hopefully, everyone gets to safe areas. The Leafs will get here when they get here. It's just a car.

Amen. My car can wait. Our prayers go out the people of Japan and the folks at Nissan.

Wow. An 8.9 is a crazy large number. Hopefully the death toll won't be as large as some are speculating. Let's also hope that the damage is minimal in places like Hawaii where the energy can get trapped around the islands. The good thing is that the Japanese are probably better prepared for a disaster like this and better organized to deal with it than just about anyone else. Thoughts and hopes go with them.

As others have said, the cars will get here when they get here.

Magnitude 8.9 is in the epic range. There will likely be major aftershocks for many months. To our friends in Japan, we're thinking of you.

My thoughts and prayers are with Japan. When you watch some of the videos, one thing you notice is that how long this quake lasted, it went on forever. Yes cars will get here when they get here.

awallis said:
The Oppama plant is shut down:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2011/_STORY/110311-03-e.html

Good that nobody got hurt in any of the facilities except for minor injuries to 2.

Report following the earthquake in Northern Japan (update)

At 14:46 JST, a strong earthquake hit Northern Japan. The following is a report related to Nissan operations.

<Facilities>
•Iwaki Plant (Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture), Tochigi Plant (Kawachi County, Tochigi Prefecture), Yokohama Plant (Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture), Oppama Plant (Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture), Zama Operations Center (Zama City, Kanagawa Prefecture) all suspended operations immediately.
•Small fires broke out at the Tochigi Plant and the Iwaki Plant casting facilities but have been extinguished.

<Employees>
•Evacuations have begun at locations close to the coastline, where tsunami warnings have been issued.
•Two employees at Tochigi Plant suffered minor injuries.
•The company has advised employees to remain inside facilities where it is safe. However, those who are able to walk home are allowed to leave their offices based on their personal discretion.
•Power outage confirmed at the Nissan Technical Center (Atsugi City, Kanagawa Prefecture). Employees who were remaining in that facility are now evacuating to the Nissan Advanced Technology Center (Atsugi City, Kanagawa Prefecture) nearby.

<Plans after tomorrow>
•Plants will suspend operations originally planned for Saturday March 12 and Sunday March 13.
•Operations after Monday, March 14, for all plants and facilities including the Global Headquarters (Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture), will be decided after all assessments including suppliers, are conducted tomorrow, March 12.

<Dealerships>
•Some dealerships in the Kanto region (area surrounding Tokyo) have reported damage. Reports regarding dealerships in Northern Japan are yet to be confirmed.

Keep praying for the people of Japan...

http://www.mediapost.com/blogs/raw/?p=5911

Nissan says in spite of tsunami warnings for the west coast of the U.S. the automaker does not anticipate any immediate affect from the earthquake or tsunami on its “Americas operations, facilities, dealers or customers.”

The company, one of Japans largest three automakers has suspended operations at its Japan plants through Sunday, per a company statement.

Nissan says its global headquarters building in Yokohama is was not significantly affected. “So far, there are no reports of employee casualties and employee safety precautions are underway at all locations,” said a company statement.

I just received email from my Nissan contact in Michigan. Here is his comments regarding the earthquake:

"Phone line does not work in the affected area (half of the nation). I have not yet reached my family and colleagues, but I think they are OK because no major issue is reported in their area.

Nissan email servers in Japan are down, and some of the Nissan factories and offices still have no power. I heard employees stay at office overnight because trains stop and highways are closed.

According to the authorities, afterquake will continue for a month. US government does not recommend to travel to Japan until April 1."

This is yet another reminder of how precious life is. We ought to be thankful that, so far this century, our West Coast has been spared such devastation. The LEAF is a very important car, both for what it is and for the potential for good that it represents. But it goes without saying that human lives are far more important. I pray for God's comfort for the people of Japan.

Back