400lb of torque??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeiJidosha said:
I have driven the Spark EV, Fiat 500e, LEAF, and have a Fit EV. Spark feels similar to Fit EV in Sport, but feels to sustain peak acceleration longer for a faster 0-60 time. While the motor torque number is stand-out, actual performance will be modestly better.

KJ, what were your impressions of torque steer between the 500e and the Spark EV? As I commented on the 500e thread, I drove the Fiat today and was shocked at the torque steer. Lunging, darty steering when accelerating from out of a turn. How does the Spark EV do in this regard?

Boomer23 said:
KeiJidosha said:
I have driven the Spark EV, Fiat 500e, LEAF, and have a Fit EV. Spark feels similar to Fit EV in Sport, but feels to sustain peak acceleration longer for a faster 0-60 time. While the motor torque number is stand-out, actual performance will be modestly better.

KJ, what were your impressions of torque steer between the 500e and the Spark EV? As I commented on the 500e thread, I drove the Fiat today and was shocked at the torque steer. Lunging, darty steering when accelerating from out of a turn. How does the Spark EV do in this regard?

The Rav4 EV is crazy with torque steer.

Boomer23 said:
KeiJidosha said:

I drove the Spark EV on surface streets, so didn't get a chance to ring it out in the corners, but it did not exhibit anything memorable for me. Fiat 500e did not produce much torque steer for me at REFUEL either. But I left the traction control on. It might be different with it turned off. I used to have a Shelby GLHS. THAT had ornery torque steer.

dm33 said:
KeiJidosha said:
“The very high torque is motor performance that we are very proud of, and customers will notice the difference: (It has a gear reduction of 3.18 to 1, so the axle torque is the product of these two).”

Spark EV - 402FtLb torque thru 3.18:1 drive = 1,278FtLbs axle torque
Fit EV - 189FtLb torque thru 8.05:1 drive = 1521FtLbs axle torque
LEAF - 207FtLb torque thru 7.94:1 drive – 1,643FtLbs axle torque
Isn't it axle torque that anyone cares about? If I have a super torqy engine but have to start in 5th gear, its not going to be very impressive.

Based on those numbers, does that mean that the Leaf has the most axle torque from a start? The 2013 is limited in software from a stop, but if it wasn't, would it be faster than the Spark? Does the 2012 Leaf feel faster than the Spark?
Still need to account for wheel diameter and weight. But my point was that performance would be closer than the ~200% torque number indicates.

KeiJidosha said:
“The very high torque is motor performance that we are very proud of, and customers will notice the difference: (It has a gear reduction of 3.18 to 1, so the axle torque is the product of these two).”

Spark EV - 402FtLb torque thru 3.18:1 drive = 1,278FtLbs axle torque
Fit EV - 189FtLb torque thru 8.05:1 drive = 1521FtLbs axle torque
LEAF - 207FtLb torque thru 7.94:1 drive – 1,643FtLbs axle torque

And Spark EV torque is flat to 2,000 RPM which is ~41mph. I have driven the Spark EV, Fiat 500e, LEAF, and have a Fit EV. Spark feels similar to Fit EV in Sport, but feels to sustain peak acceleration longer for a faster 0-60 time. While the motor torque number is stand-out, actual performance will be modestly better.
All are worthy of your consideration. LEAF has more room, Spark EV is quicker, 500e more style. LEAF lacks thermal management, 500e lacks QC, Spark EV has a slow on-board charger. RAV4EV beats all the above at higher cost. Availability, and your personal needs will determine which is a better buy.

Yup, motor torque or hp means nothing compared to chassis dyno results, or actual power to the axle. So yes, with less gear reduction, the Spark has less torque multiplication.

This backs my findings exactly. To me the Spark was unimpressive when mashing the throttle from a stand still. I wanted to put the salesman in my car to show him my car felt quicker off the line. (The spark felt pretty quick 20-40mph) Not too mention the LEAF is smoother, less road noise, is more stable, roomier, etc. etc. Went to the dealership with the intent to possibly get a Spark EV. Left with no interest in the vehicle whatsoever. See my review on the following post:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6198&start=570#p304803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back