24,000 Miles in a Nissan Leaf and counting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkjayakumar

Got this article through the November newsletter from Nissan.

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2012/09/24000-miles-in-nissan-leaf-and-counting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wondering if the owners of this story are members of MNL.

LOL, he actually flips the orange flap when finished charging? Mine has never been, nor will it ever be, closed :)

Anyway, decent vid, but the guy is truly understating to say one gives up nothing going electric. I don't think "the cause" is helped by minimizing real drawbacks of EV (range).

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
LOL, he actually flips the orange flap when finished charging? Mine has never been, nor will it ever be, closed :)

Uummm...actually it's a good idea to keep it closed to prevent small particles, etc. from entering the contacts. Haven't you ever opened the charge hatch to clean after going through a car wash and notice how much water splashes in there as well? They wouldn't have put the extra flap there if it wasn't worth it.

Stanton said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Uummm...actually it's a good idea to keep it closed to prevent small particles, etc. from entering the contacts. Haven't you ever opened the charge hatch to clean after going through a car wash and notice how much water splashes in there as well? They wouldn't have put the extra flap there if it wasn't worth it.
Yeah, I actually wonder why the hatch itself doesn't seal up instead of having the orange cap, though...

I always open and close the orange flap.

I also agree with EatsShootsandLeafs in regards to the guy in the commercial's statement about not giving anything up. Whether anyone admits or or not, all of us have given up range as a result of moving to a Leaf (assuming you came from a gasoline vehicle to begin with) For some people like me it has not been a hindrance at all since my commute falls well within the Leaf's range as well as my side trips. But to say that I no longer have the ability to drive across country in my vehicle means I've given something up, even if I don't actually need or want to use that ability.

adric22 said:
I always open and close the orange flap.

I also agree with EatsShootsandLeafs in regards to the guy in the commercial's statement about not giving anything up. Whether anyone admits or or not, all of us have given up range as a result of moving to a Leaf (assuming you came from a gasoline vehicle to begin with) For some people like me it has not been a hindrance at all since my commute falls well within the Leaf's range as well as my side trips. But to say that I no longer have the ability to drive across country in my vehicle means I've given something up, even if I don't actually need or want to use that ability.

Wait, I disagree. If you don't want or need to go more than the Leaf's range in a Leaf, how are you giving something up? It's like saying "I don't like or want a leather interior, but I gave that option up when I bought my Leaf." I am NOT giving anything up by driving my Leaf. I have another car I can jump in for long distance, therefore I didn't give up anything by purchasing the Leaf for my normal daily driving.

Now, IF the Leaf is your only vehicle, then I'd agree that you gave up the ability to jump in YOUR car and drive long distance. If it's not, then you didn't give up anything.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Yeah, I actually wonder why the hatch itself doesn't seal up instead of having the orange cap, though...

It's a lot easier to create an effective seal with the flat cap than it would be with the complex curve of the charge door which is also subject to air buffeting, latching forces, and potential bending forces from use and dings. Much like a gasoline filler lid in that respect.

Interesting. What did I give up that really mattered and is a negative:

1) Long range.
2) Quick refilling practically anywhere.

Let's be honest. Owners can't stick their heads in the sand and pretend driving a pure electric doesn't have its disadvantages. We should explain, instead, how often we actually go beyond the range of the LEAF.

Since I installed my level 2 charging station? Once. That's it. And that was a 500 mile round-trip.

PatricioEV said:
Wait, I disagree. If you don't want or need to go more than the Leaf's range in a Leaf, how are you giving something up? It's like saying "I don't like or want a leather interior, but I gave that option up when I bought my Leaf." I am NOT giving anything up by driving my Leaf. I have another car I can jump in for long distance, therefore I didn't give up anything by purchasing the Leaf for my normal daily driving.
Exactly! That's what the ICE car is for... although it often sits for several months without moving an inch.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Because when it's open and I'm using my QC port (or vice-versa) then J1772 would be unprotected...

Back to the original topic...

I was curious as to how a Florida resident managed to own a LEAF for 18 months, since the first LEAF wasn't delivered to Florida (a Tier 2 state) until about 12 months ago (November 2011). Until I saw this:

http://vimeo.com/48466519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ordered and delivered to a California resident, who moved to Florida right away.

It's nice to see a Florida resident still happy with the car. It would have made it through two summers by now.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Anyway, decent vid, but the guy is truly understating to say one gives up nothing going electric. I don't think "the cause" is helped by minimizing real drawbacks of EV (range).
I always close mine, too. I figure that connector has to be expensive to replace. I don't see the video as minimizing drawbacks. It obviously works well for his family. It works well for me, too. Now, we didn't just "park" my wife's car, but we do try to drive the LEAF whenever we travel together.

The transition from horse and buggy to automobiles had disadvantages also:

1. No more free fertilizer for their garden
2. Horse power really meant something going through mud filled rutted out streets
3. You could pack more of your family in a buggy
4. The automobile had limited range as superhighways were not that common
5. Not that many places to purchase gasoline in 1910

To return to the original topic, I passed 24,000 miles coming to work this morning. I haven't bought a drop of gas in 17 months and still show full capacity for my battery. It's been a great car so far!

In the video the owner said that there are over 300 charge stations in Orlando. How did Orlando get so many charge stations in such a short period of time ?

They started long before there were any significant number of electric cars in the state.

http://www.plugincars.com/despite-no-electric-cars-orlando-installs-hundreds-charge-stations-107539.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Stanton said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

since there is two ports, one will always be exposed and to be honest with ya; if i could close the hatch with the quick charge cover off, i would do it...

as far as the conversion to cars from horses? i think the first gas station opened in 1912. previous to that, gas was usually delivered by...used guessed it! a horse drawn wagon

driveleaf said:
Yes, I am a member of MNL. :)

And we're up to 26,000 miles now.

Nice to see you here!

I'm sure a lot of LEAF owners in the southeast U.S. are curious as to how well your LEAF's battery has held up after two, Florida summers and 26,000 miles.

Back