2021 Plus SOC, charging behavior clarifications?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlmalisz

Have now had our '21 Plus since June, and love the car. With the onset of PNW winter driving (getting to use lights, wipers, defog, and running winter tires), range has predictably shrunk. As a retired engineer, I am still trying to wrestle down what the battery SOC numbers on the dash mean. I have seen in various fora mentions of battery headroom and tailroom that lie outside the 0-100 scale on the dash. I'd like to know the real values for those for the '21 Plus. I'll be plugging in a module for LeafSpy in the next week or so, and can get numbers and probably dope this out, but in the meantime:

1) What's the battery capacity that's above where things are when the dash SOC reads 100%? Is that a fixed percentage of total battery, and thus will shrink as battery SOH goes down? Or is it some fixed number of kWh from whatever 100% x SOH is?
2) Similarly, the same questions for what apparently lurks below dash 0% SOC?
3) Does the OBC stop charging for L1/L2 when this pseudo-100% is reached?

Thanks in advance. Trying to get my head around actual usable battery numbers as given by the vehicle.

--Richard

rlmalisz said:
Have now had our '21 Plus since June, and love the car. With the onset of PNW winter driving (getting to use lights, wipers, defog, and running winter tires), range has predictably shrunk. As a retired engineer, I am still trying to wrestle down what the battery SOC numbers on the dash mean. I have seen in various fora mentions of battery headroom and tailroom that lie outside the 0-100 scale on the dash. I'd like to know the real values for those for the '21 Plus. I'll be plugging in a module for LeafSpy in the next week or so, and can get numbers and probably dope this out, but in the meantime:

1) What's the battery capacity that's above where things are when the dash SOC reads 100%? Is that a fixed percentage of total battery, and thus will shrink as battery SOH goes down? Or is it some fixed number of kWh from whatever 100% x SOH is?
When it reads 98% to 100% SOC (state of charge), total capacity is somewhere +56 kWh or higher, but to get it to edge out to 56.3 or 56.4 can take an hour or more for balancing. That's why if you unplug at 98% and start the Leaf, it just rounds it to 100% if the capacity is already at 56 kWh or higher. As the battery ages, the SOH will go down from 100% but from I've seen on mine, the capacity has stayed the same, I can still charge to 100% and still be over +56 kWh even at 96%,95%,94%, SOH, etc. So don't fret the mico changes in SOH because if you look at it every day and see 99.99%, 99.97%, 99.95%, 99.92% SOH, don't extrapolate a pattern that says the battery will hit 50% SOH in 3 years. The SOH changes over time, will go down as new, then stabilize for a while where it slowly goes up and down over time, temperature, usage, etc.
2) Similarly, the same questions for what apparently lurks below dash 0% SOC?
I do have an answer for the modern Leaf Plus :D
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32148
Data is at the bottom of that page, but basically you have about 5.0 kWh of power left after 0% SOC, depending on how balanced your pack is, you can drive it down to 0.5 kWh before shutdown, so you have about 4.5 kWh of power that if used gently (low speeding driving, no AC/Heat, etc, the same as using one acceleration bar on the dash) could get you easily (4.5 x 5.0 m/kwh) over +20 miles of extra range.
3) Does the OBC stop charging for L1/L2 when this pseudo-100% is reached?

Thanks in advance. Trying to get my head around actual usable battery numbers as given by the vehicle.

--Richard
It stops once the pack is fully charged & balanced. The balancing part can take over an hour, you don't have to wait for it to benefit from the range of 100% though, that's more to keep all the cells working in unison for cell life to avoid once cell over working compared to the others.

Back