2017 Leaf S - I-Key System Fault and LOTS of DTCs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. I don't understand why replacing the battery would result in more DTCs, unless it created a poor connection. Or, possibly, unless the new battery is defective, but you find it reads the right voltage...

Consider purchasing a battery tester;
https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-FBA_BT100-Analyzer-Automotive-Directly/dp/B01ANF1BRW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2L0EEFP2B3V5L&dchild=1&keywords=foxwell+battery+analyzer&qid=1629427688&sprefix=Foxwell+Battery%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMUZaRFJNV01LWlE1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg3MTQ0M0pIM0tURE4zTDBUMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjQ3ODE0MVhWVE4wOTg0R0tFTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

lorenfb said:

So it sounds like everyone is conviced that this is a 12v issue.

I ordered a tester from Amazon to check my old and new battery, it should be here Saturday.

rodenti said:

It's a common problem and the symptoms fit. What is unusual is the corrosion you found although IMO that also points to a 12V issue but of a slightly different type.

rodenti said:
lorenfb said:

I ordered a tester from Amazon to check my old and new battery, it should be here Saturday.

We are all suggest the 12V battery because it's the low hanging fruit. You want to rule out 12V issues first, as otherwise you'll likely need to take it to Nissan. The odds that it's going to be a cheap fix, once Nissan is involved, are little to none.

Modern dealer repairs amount to using a diagnostic computer to identify the failed component(s) and replacing the entire component. All of the electronic components on the LEAF are pricey.

Modern dealer repairs amount to using a diagnostic computer to identify the failed component(s) and replacing the entire component.

Make that "assembly." They hate to have to remove a $50 component when they can just replace the whole $3,000.00 assembly.

LeftieBiker said:
Modern dealer repairs amount to using a diagnostic computer to identify the failed component(s) and replacing the entire component.

Make that "assembly." They hate to have to remove a $50 component when they can just replace the whole $3,000.00 assembly.

The 12V battery tested as good, so I have brought it into the dealership for diagnosis.

I'll report back when they figure out what's wrong.

The dealership has traced it to a faulty IPDM.

Unfortunately the part is backordered in Canada so there is no timeline as to when it can be repaired.

You should check out this post:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23865&start=40#p598722

This one too:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31869

It might just be a bad relay, but you might need to check several relays to find the bad one.

This video should help to diagnose the bad one (if any):

https://youtu.be/ieyr63wDqG0

Thanks for all your help.

I contacted Nissan Canada and they were able to find the part that was needed. The IPDM was installed last week and all the issues with my car are gone.

I was away from home on vacation for a couple of weeks and then when I started looking at testing the relays the replacement IPDM had arrived. I decided to bite the bullet and go with the easy fix.

rodenti said:
Thanks for all your help.

I contacted Nissan Canada and they were able to find the part that was needed. The IPDM was installed last week and all the issues with my car are gone.

I was away from home on vacation for a couple of weeks and then when I started looking at testing the relays the replacement IPDM had arrived. I decided to bite the bullet and go with the easy fix.

You're lucky! I was having the exact same issues with my 2011 Leaf. It first happened last year during a cold/humid period, and some relay switching around seemed to fix it (a new 12V did not). But it happened again this year with different codes being thrown, and now I can't find a new or used IPDM anywhere in this country. So my car is getting harvested for parts :(

Anitza said:
You're lucky! I was having the exact same issues with my 2011 Leaf. It first happened last year during a cold/humid period, and some relay switching around seemed to fix it (a new 12V did not). But it happened again this year with different codes being thrown, and now I can't find a new or used IPDM anywhere in this country. So my car is getting harvested for parts :(

That sucks... the Nissan Leaf is supposed to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, but I guess even reliable vehicles can break down occasionally.

Too bad you couldn't find a replacement IPDM - if it was the same issue as mine it would have fixed the problem

Back