2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 8 years (to the day) from the 'in service date' which I think it the day it is driven off the lot after being purchased. Or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

DaveinOlyWA said:
........Other things to consider; long-term storage (which to me is more than a few days) the ideal is around half. Nissan shipped cars from Japan at 40% SOC verified with both of my 24 kWh cars (along with inept dealerships) so anywhere in that range is good.

Gotcha...thank you for the education and responses. I am fortunate enough to have a motorcycle and a second vehicle that I use for towing, family-hauling, and long-distance trips. (four kids, the wife, the boats, the side by sides, etc.). Getting caught without enough battery won't be an issue for me, especially because my world for the most part is all within five miles of my house. The part that has me doing backflips is the fact that I start to get into pre-new-battery milage when I am now at 30% battery. I was easily able to drive it every day with a max range of ~58 miles. So this new battery will make it EASY to keep it at, or below 50%, and still drive it every day. I bought this car "just because" and I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but in that time, I have been converted to a big EV fan! Now if I can only convince the wife to make her next vehicle a Tesla X or Y vs the new Ford Bronco she wants LOL

Can anyone tell me how far off I am from losing my 4th bar?

2017 Leaf S, Augusta, GA.

Current stats via LeafSpy: 80882 miles, 51.598AHr, SOH 64.92% been down to three bars for about 5-6 months, firmware update completed.

fergy126 said:

Current stats via LeafSpy: 80882 miles, 51.598AHr, SOH 64.92% been down to three bars for about 5-6 months, firmware update completed.

Winter's coming, so the battery health will get "preserved" until the spring. Going off of memory, ~62% SOH or somewhere around there is when the fourth bar drops.

I'd say your close but at 80k miles I'd watch how many miles are put on the car this winter. The SOH usually levels off when the temp drops although I don't know how much that applies to a climate like Georgia. Remember that if you hit 100,000.1 miles the warranty has expired.

fergy126 said:

How's them tires looking? Charge to 100% as much as possible and jackrabbit takeoffs as much as you can get away with. You should lose that bar well before 90,000 miles.

fergy126 said:

FYI. My stats

2016 Leaf SV
San Diego, CA
battery replacement under warranty at end of Sept 2020

dropped 4th bar:
71,062 miles
2020-09-16
SOH = 65.86
AHr = 52.35

dropped 3rd bar:
65,580 miles
2019-06-29
SOH = 72.36
AHr = 57.51

fergy126 said:

Thanks for the advice and info comrades, I'll post my specs when the 4th bar drops.

My daily commute is about 100 miles so I may switch to my ICE vehicle during the winter just to conserve miles.

I've got my annual inspection scheduled in a few days, anything I should mention or not mention to the service advisor. I really hope they don't pull anything funny with my BMS system.

fergy126 said:

We bought our 2016 Leaf SL 15 October 2019 just under 22K miles showing 9 bars with SOH just under 65% . It lost the 4th bar 5 weeks/2400 miles later.

Nov 1 update. 290 GID's, SOH=79.75%, Hx=58.93%. 82987 total miles, 38058 miles on new battery, 145 L3 total, 31 on new battery, 1635 l2 total, 761 on new battery. I'm driving a lot less now so wear and tear on the battery is less but it's still losing power at about the same rate per mile as before. I lost 6 GID's last month even with less driving. It still looks like I won't hit the 4 bar down mark before the 100K warranty limit. Despite the tax incentives and new battery, I just can't see buying another Nissan. Their attitude toward the Leaf and the lack of support regarding battery replacement have soured me on the brand. Tesla is still in the lead and if Biden wins the election and reinstates the EV tax credit for American auto manufacturers, that would make it a slam dunk for me. Volkswagen is still in the running with the current regulations and tax breaks but the ID4 doesn't seem compelling compared to a Model 3.

johnlocke said:
Nov 1 update. 290 GID's, SOH=79.75%, Hx=58.93%. 82987 total miles, 38058 miles on new battery, 145 L3 total, 31 on new battery, 1635 l2 total, 761 on new battery. I'm driving a lot less now so wear and tear on the battery is less but it's still losing power at about the same rate per mile as before. I lost 6 GID's last month even with less driving. It still looks like I won't hit the 4 bar down mark before the 100K warranty limit. Despite the tax incentives and new battery, I just can't see buying another Nissan. Their attitude toward the Leaf and the lack of support regarding battery replacement have soured me on the brand. Tesla is still in the lead and if Biden wins the election and reinstates the EV tax credit for American auto manufacturers, that would make it a slam dunk for me. Volkswagen is still in the running with the current regulations and tax breaks but the ID4 doesn't seem compelling compared to a Model 3.

Thanks for the numbers and next EV thoughts. After 8 months and 13K miles on the replacement 40 kWa battery in our 2016 Leaf SL SOH is down to 96.09% from 99.87%. where I drive it 170 miles one day and zero miles the next the SOH loss rate varies little. Typically I make two 30 trips most days and for the last month I have been testing charging it to 4.2 volts after after each trip to manage heat buildup which is less of a concern now in KY. The charging time is around 2 hours.

I will be turning 70 in 4 months and would distance past to have a Tesla by the time my wife plans to retire in about 3 years. After Nissan had our Leaf 6 weeks to replace our 8 bar battery and I learned their risk of bankruptcy I realized a RWD Tesla was going to cost less than new Nissan EV long term.

I love this 6th Nissan but they are a company in steep decline compared to 1973. Like most other OEM's their prime time is on their distance past.

GaleHawkins said:
johnlocke said:

Thanks for the numbers and next EV thoughts. After 8 months and 13K miles on the replacement 40 kWa battery in our 2016 Leaf SL SOH is down to 96.09% from 99.87%. where I drive it 170 miles one day and zero miles the next the SOH loss rate varies little. Typically I make two 30 trips most days and for the last month I have been testing charging it to 4.2 volts after after each trip to manage heat buildup which is less of a concern now in KY. The charging time is around 2 hours.

I will be turning 70 in 4 months and would distance past to have a Tesla by the time my wife plans to retire in about 3 years. After Nissan had our Leaf 6 weeks to replace our 8 bar battery and I learned their risk of bankruptcy I realized a RWD Tesla was going to cost less than new Nissan EV long term.

I love this 6th Nissan but they are a company in steep decline compared to 1973. Like most other OEM's their prime time is on their distance past.
Nissan has proven over and over that they don't care about servicing older EV's. I see no reason to believe that that will change with the Aryia. In an Ideal world, Tesla would come out with a Model 3 with lfp batteries for the US market similar to the Chinese version at around $32.000 and an upgraded interior version at $35,000. With the longer lifespan for lfp batteries, the tradeoff in range would be perfectly acceptable and give them an entry at the lower end. Maybe after they finish the Austin Gigafactory they won't be so production constrained and can work on lower cost models.

I've been trying for a month to schedule an annual battery inspection here in Augusta, GA. Only 2 dealerships available and one doesn't have an EV tech. The other dealership tech only works M-F, people gotta go to work. They're gonna hate me when it's time for my warranty replacement.

fergy126 said:
I've been trying for a month to schedule an annual battery inspection here in Augusta, GA. Only 2 dealerships available and one doesn't have an EV tech. The other dealership tech only works M-F, people gotta go to work. They're gonna hate me when it's time for my warranty replacement.
That's crazy. The stupid annual battery report should be something that even a non-EV tech can run. They just have to use their Consult III plus laptop and OBD2 cable like for all their other cars.

Here's another 4 bar loser.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4643823512355120 - initials GT:
"2016 30kwh. Dealer informed me today it was approved for the 40kwh. Now waiting for them to ship the battery and for the warranty swap. It may be a couple weeks..."

Don't know where they're located. If someone has time, they're more than welcome to post updates to my last list. If not, I should be able to find some time over Thanksgiving or in December.

cwerdna said:
Here's another 4 bar loser.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4643823512355120 - initials GT:
"2016 30kwh. Dealer informed me today it was approved for the 40kwh. Now waiting for them to ship the battery and for the warranty swap. It may be a couple weeks..."

Don't know where they're located. If someone has time, they're more than welcome to post updates to my last list. If not, I should be able to find some time over Thanksgiving or in December.

This news is one reason to stick with Leaf ownership.

Back