2013 SL with 21k miles range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudosavant

I just got a pre-owned Leaf last week and I think my car has some battery capacity issues. When I charge the car to 100% then GoM or Carwings both estimate about 54 miles of range. That's been pretty close but is probably optimistic even. My 44 mile round-trip commute without major elevation changes and with the climate controls off usually leaves me with single digit mile estimates left on the GoM. I should be getting a lot more range right?

I live in southern California, garage my car, but the previous owner of the car lived in Phoenix. I have, now, read about early model Leaf batteries not doing too well in extreme heat. Will Nissan fix/replace the battery under warranty if the capacity is this low? I like the car otherwise so I'd prefer to have it fixed instead of returning it to CarMax.

Thanks!

First, how many "capacity" bars does your car have? Those are the skinny bars on the right side of the larger charge level bars. Are all 12 still up or are you missing some at the top? With 54 miles range at full charge it sound to me like you might be missing some.

Next, how fast do you drive? What kind of traffic? Do you have the heater turned on and what's the temperature outside? That could also explain why your range is lower than you expected.

Return the car ASAP if that range doesn't work for you.

Nissan LEAF batteries, especially older LEAFs, 2011-2012 batteries degrade quickly, especially in warm climates like Arizona.
You should be aware of how bad the problem is before purchasing a used LEAF. Dealers and Nissan are taking advantage of customers buy misinforming about the problem. Consumer reports did not mention the battery problem either in their article saying that used LEAFs are good buys.
Buyer beware.

Return the LEAF while you can. Research the issue and buy another LEAF once you understand whats involved. Otherwise you're likely to be stuck with a very low range car, best case for a while, worst case forever.

I drive about 70mph, no heat, 60 degree outside temp. I think I'm missing two of those bars. I'll have to check when I go out to the car.

If the battery has lost that much capacity wouldn't that be covered by the battery warranty? I'd be happy with the car if they replace the battery.

The only way you get a battery replacement under warranty is if you have only 8 capacity bars (a little less than 70% of original capacity), within 5yrs/60k mi. You can shell out about $6500 if you choose to foot the bill. Driving at 70 mph will use your battery much faster (for the same distance) than 55 mph. These are not great vehicles for long distances or high speeds. Also using the heat will accelerate battery usage a bit during your drive. If it is cold outside, the battery doesn't perform as well either. (cold probably not an issue in SoCal)

You want to drive in such a way to get the mi/kwh number to go up...

Our MY2013 Leaf SL was manufactured in August 2013. We currently have over 32,000 miles and have lost almost no range, maybe one or two miles, if that.

If you are able to back out of the purchase and get your money back, I suggest you do that and keep looking. It will probably be a couple of years before this Leaf qualifies for the battery replacement, and you will be stuck with limited range. It may be just that one cell is bad and it is limiting you, but you can not know that without getting the LeafSpy app to get this info.

Also, if you tell us where in So California you are I am sure there is someone close to you that you can meet up with that can help you identify your problem. As you can see in my info I am San Diego, I will be happy to help if you are near here.

Here's a picture of my dash after I drove 22 miles to work from a 100% charge. I only have 8 of the 12 battery health/life bars on the right. I think I'm going to take this by Nissan to see what they say. If that doesn't look good I'll return the car.

I am in San Diego. I work near Miramar and live in North County. I do already have an OBDII Bluetooth adapter so I could run LeafSpy and post the results. What should I be looking for in that app exactly?

EN40Q20.jpg

Looks like you get a new battery under warranty! Take it in to a Nissan dealer to verify. You are currently at less than 70% of normal capacity, so that should give you an idea what range you can expect. Remember, driving 70mph you will always have terrible range compared to 55-60 mph and under.

I really think that new owners should be aware that an electric car needs daily (or twice daily) care with charging. Also, they also need to learn that the EV is a totally different animal compared to the ICE cars. Your driving habits (speed) and elevation have everything to do with range. When you make a lifestyle change of buying an EV (yes it is a lifestyle change, like moving from a house with a yard to a condo) does mean some changes in your driving behavior. A new EV driver needs to accept that having the benefits of zero petroleum use and high savings will mean setting the cruise control to 55-60, and no big mountains to cross. Speed and elevation (and heat and a/c) can change a range 70 miles of range down to 30-35 miles range.

As far as the picture of the dash is concerned, only 8 bars looks like he qualifies for some kind of Nissan free service. He is lucky that the dash shows this information. I know someone else on this site that has all 12 bars and only has 35 miles range, so he will have trouble proving a need to Nissan.

To the new driver - If (when) they change your battery for free, use the Leaf as a "mental health" vehicle that only does the speed limit of 55 mph, and laugh to the bank with the money you save. Let that speeders dig deep into their wallets for the privilege of doing 80.

good luck

Am I the only one who is shocked that a 2013 SL with this low of mileage is at 8 bars? I don't think we've ever seen decline that fast in a 2013 MY car? What gives?

^ Yes, I'm quite shocked (although this is an AZ car).

Battery bingo doesn't apply to a 2013. Although it's very likely you'll get a new pack under warranty, Nissan only has the obligation to restore 2013 (and up) owners to "above 9 bars", per the language in the 2013 warranty booklet. It's only 2011 and 2012 owners who are guaranteed a new pack under terms of the capacity loss class action settlement.

So with that in mind, I would get yourself to a Nissan dealer pronto and see what they have to say with respect to pack replacement vs. repair (and maybe get it in writing if they promise a new pack); and do all of this within the time frame that you have to return the vehicle if it doesn't pan out as you wish.

tkdbrusco said:
Am I the only one who is shocked that a 2013 SL with this low of mileage is at 8 bars? I don't think we've ever seen decline that fast in a 2013 MY car? What gives?

I have a 2013 SV purchased in March 2015. It was a lease return that came from Georgia. The vehicle was built in January 2013. After one summer in the Nevada heat, I am one bar down with Leaf Spy showing the SOH at 78%.

pseudosavant said:

That picture tells me you have a battery that likely has seen around 33.75% capacity loss (or more). That's about 28 miles worth of range lost due to degradation. But you are one lucky bastard. You qualify for a brand new battery, free of charge, under the warranty. Go to a Nissan dealer and tell them you want a new high voltage battery per the warranty.

Once you get a fresh battery, your LEAF will be like new.

baustin said:
tkdbrusco said:

I have a 2013 SV purchased in March 2015. It was a lease return that came from Georgia. The vehicle was built in January 2013. After one summer in the Nevada heat, I am one bar down with Leaf Spy showing the SOH at 78%.

The 2013s built between January and April (not including April) seem to have either the old battery pack or at least the old chemistry, because there is a significant different in degradation between those and Leafs built from April on.

I took my Leaf to the Nissan dealership yesterday and they are getting me a new battery. They told me it should take a week or two. Kind of annoying not to have the car I just bought but I'm pretty stoked on getting a new upgraded battery. The rest of the car is like new and now the battery will actually be new. :)

Thanks for the tips/advice! My other car is a WRX which has a huge community around it but the Leaf community seems to be pretty great too.

Dude. You totally scored on this! Almost got really screwed, but in the end you got basically a brand new car at a used car price!

The 2015 battery in your area should last better than a 2013 one. There is a YouTube video from someone in SD who got his changed. You should consider your vehicle with the new battery to be worth 70 miles. If you have hills and fast freeway speeds, more like 60. Nothing but stop and go on flat land 80.
You are smart to go on the forum to check and get great advice from the other posters. Used car dealers have no idea what a LEAF is all about, and they sold you a car with a severely degraded battery, almost useless after being broiled in Arizona. Looks like a happy ending, though. Best wishes.

Back