2013 Nissan Leaf Edges Closer To Production In Smyrna, TN

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
On the 2013s, what I can tell you is that the pilot manufacturing line in the US is ramping up nicely, and Nissan is making sure that everything is as close to perfect as they can before they transition to manufacturing production cars.
You seem to have an "in" with Nissan to be able to make comments like this. Do you work for them?

Anything else new or interesting about Nissan you can share with us? Thanks.

No, I do not work for Nissan, but because of our work with SF BayLEAFS, I have good relations with many, many people at all levels of the company from all over the globe.

I really don't have any info to share, except to say that Nissan is working very hard to incorporate lessons learned from the 2011 & 12 cars into the 2013 and future EV vehicles.

11 thousand off MSRP? For a new 2012SL? Please let us know how that works out, and if there are similar deals to be had!

bradbissell said:
I'm in the same boat. My Prius is in need of some work, and I don't think it will make it to Dec let alone Feb/Mar. Currently working on getting $11000 off MSRP on a 2012SL, if that lease deal is good I may just jump and deal with the 2 years of an "outdated" car.

leafedbehind said:
11 thousand off MSRP? For a new 2012SL? Please let us know how that works out, and if there are similar deals to be had!

bradbissell said:
I'm in the same boat. My Prius is in need of some work, and I don't think it will make it to Dec let alone Feb/Mar. Currently working on getting $11000 off MSRP on a 2012SL, if that lease deal is good I may just jump and deal with the 2 years of an "outdated" car.
I suspect that they're not telling you up front that they consider the $7500 tax credit as part of this $11K to make the number look good. Otherwise, it's just too good to be true, I think.

OrientExpress said:
No, I do not work for Nissan, but because of our work with SF BayLEAFS, I have good relations with many, many people at all levels of the company from all over the globe.

I really don't have any info to share, except to say that Nissan is working very hard to incorporate lessons learned from the 2011 & 12 cars into the 2013 and future EV vehicles.

Extreme Tech Is reporting a "redesigned battery pack and motor" for the 2013, with "90 miles" (EPA?), that is "air-cooled":

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetech/#!/entry/will-highmileage-nissan-leafs-need-costly-battery-replacements-soon,506489ee94f4be716924fdba/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

air cooling would seem to be the easiest to incorporate into the current design

wonder if the air is "conditioned"

wont do much good to pump Arizona air thru a pack at 110F

ou would have to condition it first (cool or heat)

incorportate heat pump system to cool pack?
air ducts from passenger compartment from the evaporator to the pack and back?
seperate coil just for the pack ? thats what I would do
blower and coil and such use same compressor as main cabin system , just a differnt zone, like a multi room mini split system

Until something official is released by Nissan *AND* the EPA releases their sticker numbers for 2013, I'll take it all with a very large bucket of salt!

mwalsh said:
Extreme Tech Is reporting a "redesigned battery pack and motor" for the 2013, with "90 miles" (EPA?), that is "air-cooled":

You know , I heard the 2013 model will be covered with a brand new type of solar panels, so you won't need to charge, just park outside for about an hour per day. You will be able to say Yes or No to Carwings just once & 0-60 on 4.1 sec.

Oh & you'll be able to aim the air vents

Philip

philipscoggins said:
You know , I heard the 2013 model will be covered with a brand new type of solar panels, so you won't need to charge, just park outside for about an hour per day. You will be able to say Yes or No to Carwings just once & 0-60 on 4.1 sec.

Oh & you'll be able to aim the air vents

Philip

It will also have the option of Unicorn skin seating.

TomT said:
Until something official is released by Nissan *AND* the EPA releases their sticker numbers for 2013, I'll take it all with a very large bucket of salt!

mwalsh said:

I'm with you. There isn't nothing Nissan could have done for 2013, as they were planning to use the same battery (per Mark Perry from Dec 3, 2011). So, all of a sudden, bad press hits the street, and then there's announcements of fantastic stuff to counter it.

Just no substance. 2013 will have substantially the same battery as 2011-12. All the BS of 200km batteries that will now go 250km is also BS; it never went 200km, and it won't go 250km.

TonyWilliams said:
Just no substance. 2013 will have substantially the same battery as 2011-12. All the BS of 200km batteries that will now go 250km is also BS; it never went 200km, and it won't go 250km.
While you're probably right - it is also worth mentioning that companies often hide details of such improvements until near time of release to avoid damaging sales of existing product.

TomT said:
You know a lot of what EPA releases are numbers got from tests done by manufacturers.

evnow said:
TomT said:
You know a lot of what EPA releases are numbers got from tests done by manufacturers.

The same is true of many aircraft manufacturers; the official government approved data is directly from Cessna / Boeing / Airbus, et al.

I generally trust them more than I would trust a bunch of government employees who are not experts on the individual test item. In aviation, it's rare that the numbers are inflated. Certainly, the equivalent of the crazy 7500 annual miles thing doesn't pop up often in aviation. For EV's, however, it appears in general, close government oversight is absolutely needed.

adric22 said:
TonyWilliams said:
While you're probably right - it is also worth mentioning that companies often hide details of such improvements until near time of release to avoid damaging sales of existing product.

The 200km range was not BS, its the legally required, modern, repeatable, verifiable JC08 Japanese fuel economy test. Just the Tokyo equivalent to US government regulation that rates the LEAF as 73 miles range. Different locations, different drive cycles, different range. But the test is consistent across all vehicles in a jurisdiction. (They are amongst other aspects, a taxation consideration in many countries.)

leafedbehind said:

bradbissell said:

Look at the ad at the top of the page! $11,500 off MSRP at http://www.fontananissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Yes, it does include the $7,500 tax rebate. :)

TonyWilliams said:
Interesting background... how does the same battery in 2013 make 250km?
I think you're mistaking the quote that said the battery would be basically the same chemistry as the current battery and then assuming that they didn't enhance the battery at all (and/or aren't planning on simply installing more of them).

It's also quite possible that they have improved the overall efficiency of the vehicle, too.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
I think you're mistaking the quote that said the battery would be basically the same chemistry as the current battery and then assuming that they didn't enhance the battery at all (and/or aren't planning on simply installing more of them).

It's also quite possible that they have improved the overall efficiency of the vehicle, too.

There's enough misinformation out there to choke a horse. It doesn't sound to me (from TickTock's interview) that the engineers think that the battery will be much different in performance. I don't doubt that there are tweaks; that makes sense. But, a 25% improvement seems outside the realm of possibilities to me, given the statements made.

TonyWilliams said:

Per the dealer today. The new battery cells will be lighter. They won't be smaller or have more energy. But the fact that they are lighter will help them increase the range. I have a feeling I was being led, but he said he just came back from training 3 days ago. Who knows if it would increase anything significantly or not, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt... if it is true.

Back