2013 Leaf with 83 miles, seems to wander at freeway speeds.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverton

We just leased a Leaf last Saturday and I've started using it to commute, about 10 miles each way. I noticed at freeway speeds, I have to really "steer" the car to keep it in the lane. The Leaf drives like a car with zero toe-in. Wondering if that could be the problem since Nissan is trying for range with the EV.

beaverton said:
We just leased a Leaf last Saturday and I've started using it to commute, about 10 miles each way. I noticed at freeway speeds, I have to really "steer" the car to keep it in the lane. The Leaf drives like a car with zero toe-in. Wondering if that could be the problem since Nissan is trying for range with the EV.
I find that my Leaf tracks very well and is very stable on the highway even over 80. I tend to be sensitive to that sort of thing and am very happy with the Leafs handling.

Maybe you have an alignment or tire issue. Did you test drive on the highway? Maybe see how another Leaf handles. Cross winds could also affect it. Has it been very windy where you are?

The Leaf and its tires definitely tramline on roads that have water grooves, such as California freeways... Perhaps this what you are feeling?

beaverton said:

Check tire inflation. They may be overinflated. When I put new Michelin MXV tires on my 2011 LEAF and inflated them to 40 lbs or above, they followed every groove in the freeway. It translated to a very nervous ride. I think it's called "tramlining", meaning following the lines in the pavement. Use an accurate tire inflation gauge, not the thing that's attached to the air pump at the gas station. Check Nisssan's recommended inflation pressures in your manual and the max pressure marked on your tire sidewall. For best fuel economy, many LEAFers prefer 40 lbs, though some go higher. Nissan recommends something like 36 pounds, IIRC. Try different pressures between Nissan's recommendation and 40 lbs and see if it improves.

Boomer23 said:
Check tire inflation. They may be overinflated

or one tire might be under inflated, check all 4 and while I won't get into the TP battles, the key is not what pressure you choose to use, the key is that all the tires are at equal pressures

beaverton said:

I found that my Leaf is much more stable on the highway with the tires inflated to 44 psi (maximum shown on sidewall. There are numerous threads which discuss tire pressure so you may want to read some of them. Enjoy your new car!

Gerry

Several people beat me to the submit button.

The problem I found, which I think you are experiencing is the lack of caster in the steering geometry leaves a rather large "dead zone" where the wheel will not automatically center. If you turn the wheel a little in either direction from center, it doesn't return to the center, it just stays slightly turned. When I first got my leaf I found I had to constantly make minor steering corrections as compared to my other car. But you get used to it..

I've driven my Leaf with the tire pressures at both Nissan's recommended settings, and the 40 psi some here use, and I don't find it likes to wander. I would bring it back to the Nissan dealer and have them check the suspension and steering settings. Just because it has less than 100 miles doesn't mean these settings aren't already out of whack...it seems like a lot of 2013's are leaving the Tennessee factory with some rather glaring quality control issues.

The steering in the 13MY is tighter than in the 11/12 with better on-center feel. I recommend you take your car back to the dealer and have them check the alignment. It sounds like an incorrect toe setting just like you said.

Back