2013 Leaf SV vs 2012 Mustang 5.0

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason electric motors can be faster off the line and at lower speeds is the torque. While, as mentioned in earlier replies, the torque of an electric motor is instant, just as importantly it is constant. ICE's have to run through their gears, and the torque varies in each gear as speed increases. It starts high and gets lower with increased speed. Since ICE vehicles at lower speeds are fairly quickly running through the gears, the torque is far from constant and this is where the leaf feels it's constant "grab" or pep. At higher speeds it of course will lose out.

A bigger electric motor will beat most ICEs to 60 however. i.e. the Tesla Roadster v. Porsche Boxer: http://goo.gl/SRdgr

johnc808 said:
ICE's have to run through their gears, and the torque varies in each gear as speed increases. It starts high and gets lower with increased speed. Since ICE vehicles at lower speeds are fairly quickly running through the gears, the torque is far from constant and this is where the leaf feels it's constant "grab" or pep.

This is what I love. no gears, smooth sailin, watching everyone else in my rear view in the city and not even trying. dodging in and out; smashing the pedal to hit the spot that gets you through the next light without breaking...

I couldn't do this in my old car without making a lot of noise, hurting my engine and transmission, and burning a ton of gas. I may be burning a ton of electrons driving this way but... hell... they are 1/4 the price of the chains of carbon electrons used to power ICE cars. #bottom line

I think the bigger problem with the LEAF is the squeeling tires ;) Too easy to do, even when you aren't gunning it all the way (just trying to merge with traffic). Not sure if it's because of crappy OEM tires, too much torque, or a combination of both.

Back