2013 LEAF Pricing and Features-S:28,800 SV:31,820 SL:34,840

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the "2013 Nissan LEAF" pricing pdf on their website, I have 3 questions:
1) Does the B95 "Zero Emissions" Graphic Option in fact read that way, or does it still read "Zero Emission" (like on my Leaf)?
2) How can one get the "100% Electric" graphic on the sides along with the "Zero Emission(s)" graphic -- does the B93 Eco Design Package provide it now (and even maybe B95)?
3) If Nissan is being consistent with their "Port Installed Accessories" labels across Leaf model years, I would have thought that the Floor Mats & Cargo Area Mat label L92 (what I got for my 2011 Leaf with the hump hiding the charger) would designate a smaller Cargo Area Mat which would not fit the larger cargo area w/o the Boise speaker option (as with the S trim). So should the L92 label be L93, and vice versa?

OrientExpress said:
dgpcolorado said:
Bit disappointed that one has to order the QC package to get LED headlights on the SV. I wonder if the clever people around here would be able to swap-in LED lights in the headlights at a reasonable cost?

LED headlight assemblies cost over $1000 each at the Nissan Parts counter, but from the recycle market they are probably about $500.
I thought that the $1000 headlights were for the whole aero plastic assembly. But if you're right about just the LED insert being that much, color me surprised!

Relatively pleased. The S is not as inexpensive as I would have hoped, but then again, it's not as costly as I expected, either. The name of the game with EV growth is price, price, price. Offer a real stripper, like the iMiev base, if needed. Something around the 24k range. Cut the power windows, locks, alarms, and fancy finishes if needed. Offer a real base model, something taxi drivers would be keen on even. Something even, gulp, on par with the base Versa. A stripped car if there ever was one. People would love being able to get an EV for well less than even a similar gasoline counterpart --- and still be able to say they only spend a fraction on 'fuel' and maintenance. With rebates one could cut the cost to 15 or 16k, a very affordable level.

Still, things will be tough because, still, the federal and state EV tax credits are not universally applied, not everyone even qualifies for the full amounts, and one still has to pay local sales tax on the full sales price, before the credits -- a tax almost double the amount compared to a similar-sized gasoline hatchback. EV buyers should increase their efforts to demand reform of those credits to full rebates at the time of sale. Or, perhaps, also demand lower sales tax rates for EVs versus conventional vehicles. I'm sure they probably do this in Europe.

dgpcolorado said:
OrientExpress said:
dgpcolorado said:
Bit disappointed that one has to order the QC package to get LED headlights on the SV. I wonder if the clever people around here would be able to swap-in LED lights in the headlights at a reasonable cost?

LED headlight assemblies cost over $1000 each at the Nissan Parts counter, but from the recycle market they are probably about $500.
I thought that the $1000 headlights were for the whole aero plastic assembly. But if you're right about just the LED insert being that much, color me surprised!

That price is for the entire assembly. The internal parts of the LED lights are not interchangeable with the halogen units.

dgpcolorado said:
OrientExpress said:
dgpcolorado said:

OMG what happens if the LED element(?) just breaks? If a headlight dies after the warranty expires? Can you replace the LED parts or does the whole headlight assembly have to be junked for $1,000?

I know LEDs theoretically are supposed to last forever, but I cannot tell you how many Audis and other cars I have seen driving around with broken LED DRLs and tail lights.

This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter. And the $7500 Federal tax credit only works if you have $7500 in tax liability after deductions. If yo lease this is not a problem. But if you buy make sure you pay at least $7500.

downeykp said:
This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter. And the $7500 Federal tax credit only works if you have $7500 in tax liability after deductions. If yo lease this is not a problem. But if you buy make sure you pay at least $7500.
I think this price drop along with significant upgrades should convince more people to lease rather than buy.

I couldn't agree more. I wish I would have leased. In 2011, no one was really sure how the $7500 was going to work and I got burned. Leasing would have solved all of my problems.

evnow said:
downeykp said:
I think this price drop along with significant upgrades should convince more people to lease rather than buy.

downeykp said:
This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter.

It was cold today in TN & I hit LBW at 49 miles, have yet to hit VLBW, I actually kicked the defroster back on at that point hoping to see it before I got home, but no such luck LoL!

Philip

Well, the pricing on the S will show if there is really a demand for the Leaf (or EVs in general) at this time. If sales do not increase dramatically, we'll know it is due to a lack of consumer demand and not due to pricing... The next six months should be interesting and telling...

DeaneG said:
reeler said:
...I think this will further decrease the resale value of the 2011 and 2012.
New technology always ages quickly and has limited resale value. Are you blaming Nissan?
Nobody is to blame but it's a reality current owners just took an additional $5k whack on their resale values. Original lessees like me have plenty to kick themselves over too, I could have bought a 2013 S for about what it's costing to lease a 2012 for three years. Such is life with technology items.

It will be interesting to see how GM responds on Volt pricing.

2013 L1 charger looks much smaller and lighter.

Do we know the weight difference?

I'm assuming it might not be as upgradable for the evseupgrade process due to the smaller size / cost cutting in design.

Might be a trade off in that it is smaller/lighter so more desirable for those that don't want the evseupgrade but not as desirable for those that do want it.

dhanson865 said:
2013 L1 charger looks much smaller and lighter.

Do we know the weight difference?

I'm assuming it might not be as upgradable for the evseupgrade process due to the smaller size / cost cutting in design.

Might be a trade off in that it is smaller/lighter so more desirable for those that don't want the evseupgrade but not as desirable for those that do want it.

It looks similar to the Panasonic unit that comes with the RAV4. I upgraded mine to 12A/240V, but it cannot take the 16A.

TomT said:
I'm not so sure... It gives a rather odd perspective. Since the side cameras are in the side view mirrors, they also do not give you that much of a view that you could not see by simply looking out the side windows. The systems that use side view cameras in the front and back of the vehicle are more useful as they cover blind spots you have when backing out of a parking space or pulling in to a street with your view blocked by cars parked on either side. It's a much better blended picture of your surroundings with less distortion but, of course, it is also somewhat more expensive because of the additional cameras...

wantonsoup said:
I think once I see the around view camera I'll have to have it :ugeek:

Our ICE car is a 2013 Infiniti JX35, which has the around view camera. When I purchased it I thought the around view was gimmicky, but the more I use it the more I love it. I can get the JX into places I wouldn't otherwise be able to and it really is helpful when parallel parking (we parallel park every day as we have street parking in our neighborhood). The around view doesn't really mean anything other than compiling to images in an overhead format. At least on the Infiniti You can also you different settings to get a 180 degree front view which lets you "stick your nose out" and see everything coming. The rear camera gives you a little less than 180 degrees of vision but definitely a major improvement over just looking over your shoulder.

I don't think the leaf will have it, but the proximity sensors on the Infiniti's in combo with the cameras should essentially eliminate ever backing into something. I also love the intelligent brake assist/distance control assist/adaptive cruise control. When used en masse they should really cut down on rear end collisions. I would expect that technology to come to the LEAF and other Nissans soon.

It would be cool if the around view camera had a rolling DVR capability to capture what happened leading up to an accident, or maybe if the car is stolen or vandalized, upload the video to carwings.

This new pricing is exciting from the standpoint it deflates the anti-EV argument that what you save in fuel is given back in the higher price of the car. Of course you still can't drive cross country, it's powered by coal, batteries are toxic, runs over blind people, blah, blah, blah, but it's one impediment removed.

Has anyone had any communication with dealers to now when the MY13 will be available? I'll sent out a couple of emails and have only heard back "I'll look into it and get back to you".

I have an email out to my dealer regarding the MY13. I'll post if I hear anything. As of right now I believe the date is Feb 4 for availability at some (CA?) dealers.

What I would really like to know is how much power the LED headlights really save compared to the Halogen, and if DCQCs will be installed at all dealers or just those in CA.

Answers to those questions will cause me to get the SV with headlight package or not.

philipscoggins said:
downeykp said:
This is all fine and dandy but remember it still will only go +/- 50 mi. in the winter.

It was cold today in TN & I hit LBW at 49 miles, have yet to hit VLBW, I actually kicked the defroster back on at that point hoping to see it before I got home, but no such luck LoL!

Philip

Strange - in the 20s here and I get 55+ out of 80% charge. Haven't had the seats or wheel off in a few weeks and run the heat judiciously as needed - including a few minutes' preheat when I'm out on really cold nights.

bradbissell said:
What I would really like to know is how much power the LED headlights really save compared to the Halogen, and if DCQCs will be installed at all dealers or just those in CA.

Some diligent searching (on this forum) may give you the exact answer, but I remember something like ALL the lights/turn signals/etc (MINUS the high beams) consumed less Watts than ONE "standard" headlight. The way they broke out the models/packages, I probably would have bought the "LED upgrade" package today, but probably to get the fog lights as much as the LED headlights. The SV trim didn't come with fog lights but I really do like the LED headlights.

Back