2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corina1231 said:
infounlim said:
OK, heres the purchase I just completed in Atlanta for an SV no options (except floormats), with VPP. Let me know if I got hosed. 2yr 12k/mi per yr. I'll be as detailed as possible.

GCC:$30,992.24
CCR:$5,332.81
ACC:$25,659.43
Residual:$19,791.00
Depreciation:$5,868.48
Rent charge:$1,701.60
Monthly payment=$315.42

First month's payment as down payment, monthly payment includes $1,527.19 in GA taxes, GA 5k tax credit not included

Total cost=$315.42*24+$395(Dispo Fee)=$7,965.08=.33 c/mi

With GA tax credit:
$7,965.08-$5,000=2965.08=.12 c/mi

I should mention I was Tier 1 credit not 0, I think that added slightly to my payment.
I don't ever want to be the one to burst anyone's bubble and I could be wrong but my understanding of the GA tax credit is that it is "20% of what you pay for the EV up to $5000". In your case, wouldn't that be 20% of $7500 (dispo fee not considered in cost of vehicle by taxman) for a total of $1500, not $5000?

I also have some issues with some of your other numbers including the selling price of the car which I believe is well over $1000 more than the VPP price should be on that SV with mats only. Also, your total lease cost of almost $7,500, without counting the dispo fee, is about $2000 higher than other VPP customers have payed for that car on a 2 year, 12k a year mile lease.

Like I said, I sincerely hope that I am wrong about some or all of what I have posted.

From my understanding the GA tax credit is based on the selling price of the vehicle, in this case $30,992.24.

Just to give a little more backstory, I initially emailed 8 dealers with my request. 3 of them came back with a quote ranging from $315-$330, I chose this one because it was the lowest price.

infounlim said:
Corina1231 said:
infounlim said:
OK, heres the purchase I just completed in Atlanta for an SV no options (except floormats), with VPP. Let me know if I got hosed. 2yr 12k/mi per yr. I'll be as detailed as possible.

GCC:$30,992.24
CCR:$5,332.81
ACC:$25,659.43
Residual:$19,791.00
Depreciation:$5,868.48
Rent charge:$1,701.60
Monthly payment=$315.42

First month's payment as down payment, monthly payment includes $1,527.19 in GA taxes, GA 5k tax credit not included.

Total cost=$315.42*24+$395(Dispo Fee)=$7,965.08=.33 c/mi

With GA tax credit:
$7,965.08-$5,000=2965.08=.12 c/mi

I should mention I was Tier 1 credit not 0, I think that added slightly to my payment.

Corina1231 replied:

I don't ever want to be the one to burst anyone's bubble and I could be wrong but my understanding of the GA tax credit is that it is "20% of what you pay for the EV up to $5000". In your case, wouldn't that be 20% of $7500 (dispo fee not considered in cost of vehicle by taxman) for a total of $1500, not $5000?

I also have some issues with some of your other numbers including the selling price of the car which I believe is well over $1000 more than the VPP price should be on that SV with mats only. Also, your total lease cost of almost $7,500, without counting the dispo fee, is about $2000 higher than other VPP customers have payed for that car on a 2 year, 12k a year mile lease.

Like I said, I sincerely hope that I am wrong about some or all of what I have posted.

Infoulim replied:

From my understanding the GA tax credit is based on the selling price of the vehicle, in this case $30,992.24.

Just to give a little more backstory, I initially emailed 8 dealers with my request. 3 of them came back with a quote ranging from $315-$330, I chose this one because it was the lowest price.

I'm sorry, but that's not what it says on the Ga EV Tax Credit website. Also, under your theory, if someone were to lease the basic Leaf S model for the usual 2 year, 24k mile deal of $5,000, and then they got a $5000 rebate, they would be getting the car for FREE.

Obviously, every driver in Ga. would be leasing the Leaf if it were free to lease the car for 2 years, not to mention the fuel savings. Nissan would be selling over a million Leafs in Ga,, and the factory in Tenn. would be would be working 24 hours around the clock to try to keep up with demand.

Best of Luck!

I'm sorry, but that's not what it says on the Ga EV Tax Credit website. Also, under your theory, if someone were to lease the basic Leaf S model for the usual 2 year, 24k mile deal of $5,000, and then they got a $5000 rebate, they would be getting the car for FREE.

Obviously, every driver in Ga. would be leasing the Leaf if it were free to lease the car for 2 years, not to mention the fuel savings. Nissan would be selling over a million Leafs in Ga,, and the factory in Tenn. would be would be working 24 hours around the clock to try to keep up with demand.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the heads up. I have emailed the person at the state of GA who runs the program for clarification.

dm33 said:
Is it possible to get better than VPP pricing? Or if you get that should you skip trying to negotiate and be happy.
Great question. If you go through this 70 page thread you will find folks who beat VPP pricing, but only by a small margin. And only after a lot of blood, sweat and maybe tears. However, if you TRULY get VPP pricing, you should grab it. "Truly" is the problem.

Did you notice a couple pages back where the guy thought he got the best VPP pricing (the sale price of the car was $1000 under invoice, hence VPP). Then the dealer added on a $699 "acquisition fee", which is a BS fee that means nothing but profit, and it upped his total cost of the lease by $699. He pretty much ended up paying pretty much what a lot of non VPP folks payed for their lease of the same car.

Also, watch for dealer add-ons, such as service packages, simonizing, etc. that the dealer throws on and claims is worth about 5 times as much as it truly is and wants you to pay for it. Also, they can manipulate the money factor higher and you will end up paying more.

Funny what can happen between the VPP sales price of the car and your lease price. Best of Luck!

When I was looking at the deal they gave me - I noticed a $500 difference between my invoice price (from the spreadsheet on page 1) and their invoice price. Turned out there was a marketing fee involved - which is actually part of the invoice if you see the official invoice price sheet of Nissan. That is something up for negotiation, for eg. Then there is the doc fee you can negotiate - so are options you don't want but are in the car.

If you get a VPP price that is truly as in what you calculate using the price sheet with absolutely no junk fee added, I'd just take that and save a few hours of negotiation.

Corina1231 said:
dm33 said:
Is it possible to get better than VPP pricing? Or if you get that should you skip trying to negotiate and be happy.
Great question. If you go through this 70 page thread you will find folks who beat VPP pricing, but only by a small margin. And only after a lot of blood, sweat and maybe tears. However, if you TRULY get VPP pricing, you should grab it. "Truly" is the problem.

Did you notice a couple pages back where the guy thought he got the best VPP pricing (the sale price of the car was $1000 under invoice, hence VPP). Then the dealer added on a $699 "acquisition fee", which is a BS fee that means nothing but profit, and it upped his total cost of the lease by $699. He pretty much ended up paying pretty much what a lot of non VPP folks payed for their lease of the same car.

Also, watch for dealer add-ons, such as service packages, simonizing, etc. that the dealer throws on and claims is worth about 5 times as much as it truly is and wants you to pay for it. Also, they can manipulate the money factor higher and you will end up paying more.

Funny what can happen between the VPP sales price of the car and your lease price. Best of Luck!
For an S w charger package, I've been quoted is $900 down which includes 1st mo, doc fees and tax. $193/mo, 2yr 12k/yr.
Does that sound like VPP?

The lease agreement says you can't end the lease within the first 12 months. Is that true? We may move cross country to an apartment that we'll be unlikely to charge at. Is there some way we could get out of the lease anyway? Salesman is applying pressure for end of the month, but I assume that doesn't matter with VPP. They have an acceptable vehicle on the lot, but I assume they don't charge extra to locate one.

Corina1231 said:
VAMike13 said:
After putting it off for a couple years I am finally ready to lease a Leaf. I'm looking to get an SL with the premium package. I haven't had time to go through the hours of negotiation at the dealer yet so the first quote through email that I got was $2000 down plus $329 for 24 months. That's a total of $9896 plus the disposition fee of $395, right? I realize that's high. I've tried looking though this thread to find other lease quotes for a 2013 SL in Virginia but I haven't found any. I think the tax rate is 5% here. Does that sound right? Can anyone in VA give me an idea of what their totals have been? Thanks!
Mike
VAMike, that price is crazy even for VA who has some of the highest Leaf prices in the country (according to folks on this forum), about fourth behind Hawaii, Alaska, and Florida of those who have posted on this Forum.

A fair price in VA (which is expensive) for the SL with Premium package on a 2 yr., 12k mile a year lease is around $8700, including all TTL and Dispo fee (down plus total of payments plus Dispo fee). In CA, we can get it for under $8000.

Hi Corina,

I've begun looking for an SL Premium here in the Bay Area (I believe from some previous posts you live out here as well). I test drove one with my wife, but have been attempting to get the best deal through multiple dealers via email. I basically received the same quote from two dealerships:

SL with Premium Package - 2yr/24k lease
$2000 down (include all fees + first month's payment)
$301/month inc. tax
$395 dispo fee
= $9318 total

The one I've had the most communication with says this is the "best deal he could get" for this car, with pricing below invoice. He gave a residual of $~21,500. I have not gotten responses from either place yet for my requests for more specifics about the fees or final cost of the car.

I felt a total cost of $8500-$8800 would be a solid deal, but I was surprised to see your post about pricing "under $8000" for California. I'm new to the board, so I haven't read this entire lease thread, but could you go into more specifics about how you reached your under $8000 number?

If anyone else has a recent example of an SL with premium lease with details they would like to share, I would love to see it. Thanks for your help!

Canes4life88 said:
Corina1231 said:
VAMike13 said:
After putting it off for a couple years I am finally ready to lease a Leaf. I'm looking to get an SL with the premium package. I haven't had time to go through the hours of negotiation at the dealer yet so the first quote through email that I got was $2000 down plus $329 for 24 months. That's a total of $9896 plus the disposition fee of $395, right? I realize that's high. I've tried looking though this thread to find other lease quotes for a 2013 SL in Virginia but I haven't found any. I think the tax rate is 5% here. Does that sound right? Can anyone in VA give me an idea of what their totals have been? Thanks!
Mike
VAMike, that price is crazy even for VA who has some of the highest Leaf prices in the country (according to folks on this forum), about fourth behind Hawaii, Alaska, and Florida of those who have posted on this Forum.

A fair price in VA (which is expensive) for the SL with Premium package on a 2 yr., 12k mile a year lease is around $8700, including all TTL and Dispo fee (down plus total of payments plus Dispo fee). In CA, we can get it for under $8000.

Hi Corina,

I've begun looking for an SL Premium here in the Bay Area (I believe from some previous posts you live out here as well). I test drove one with my wife, but have been attempting to get the best deal through multiple dealers via email. I basically received the same quote from two dealerships:

SL with Premium Package - 2yr/24k lease
$2000 down (include all fees + first month's payment)
$301/month inc. tax
$395 dispo fee
= $9318 total

The one I've had the most communication with says this is the "best deal he could get" for this car, with pricing below invoice. He gave a residual of $~21,500. I have not gotten responses from either place yet for my requests for more specifics about the fees or final cost of the car.

I felt a total cost of $8500-$8800 would be a solid deal, but I was surprised to see your post about pricing "under $8000" for California. I'm new to the board, so I haven't read this entire lease thread, but could you go into more specifics about how you reached your under $8000 number?

If anyone else has a recent example of an SL with premium lease with details they would like to share, I would love to see it. Thanks for your help!

Canes4life88, yes I believe the deal on the SL with premium should run in the $7900 to $8000 range. This is based on my experience with this forum and the fact that I have leased both an SL and an SV in the past year. I could be wrong, but I can tell you with certainty your quotes are much too high. You may have read that I helped 2 people get deals that they couldn't believe they could get in the last week at my neighborhood Nissan dealer in San Jose, where I leased my two leafs.

If you would like me to help you, contact me privately through this forum, I'll have you pick out the car off their online inventory and I will get you a bottom line deal that they will honor. Then you can make your decision. All I ask is that you assure me that you are a serious buyer ready to buy and that your credit is very good. I had one person I helped get a sweet deal until I learned that his credit was slightly better than Osama Bin Laden. I love to help people but I don't want to waste my time or yours.

Hi Corina1231

I am in bay area and ready to get a leaf. Was wondering if you would be open to helping one more EV convert :)

Thanks,
VC

infounlim said:

Best of Luck!

Thanks for the heads up. I have emailed the person at the state of GA who runs the program for clarification.

I just confirmed with the state of GA, "the cost of the Vehicle is based on the retail value" , so I should be able to take the entire tax credit.

infounlim said:
infounlim said:

Best of Luck!

I just confirmed with the state of GA, "the cost of the Vehicle is based on the retail value" , so I should be able to take the entire tax credit.
OK, sure. You may want to email all the other GA folks who have posted in the past year and a half and and give them the great news. Christmas will have come early for them. Best of Luck!

OK, sure. You may want to email all the other GA folks who have posted in the past year and a half and and give them the great news. Christmas will have come early for them. Best of Luck!

If you look in the GA part of this forum it looks like they already know, quote below:

"Congrats on the Leaf Lease. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn you should get the full $5,000 tax credit. The credit of 20% of purchase price up to $5K is based, for leases, on the capitalized cost. So as long as the capitalized cost is at least $25K, you get the full $5,000. It's not, as I thought once too, based on what you actually pay out of pocket for the Leaf.

I can attest to this as I've already received by $5,000 for the Leaf I leased last November. "

Hi Forum Members!

Just picked up my silver/black SV with QC/LED/Floor + cargo mats last night (5/29/13) from Hayward Nissan.

2 year, 12,000 miles/yr
$1000 down (includes 1st month, TTL, etc.)
$205.69/month for 23 additional months
$5730.87 total cost. ($395 dispo fee at the end of lease. Of course this might be $0 if I buy/lease another)

Experience was very good. I initially emailed them and after some back and forth, got the salesman to agree to $1000 down, $215/mth (all inclusive) before I showed up to the dealership. Once in the finance office, the $395 dispo fee came and of course I balked at it and they deducted half of it ($197.50) from the price of the car. This ultimately lowered me to $205.69/month. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

Hats off to this forum for helping me on my first lease. Special thanks goes out to Ron (Corina1231) who's experience and deal he recieved on his lease is what I based my negotiation on. His insight to the car/leasing business has been invaluable. Ron was even kind enough to offer to meet me at the dealership he went to. I was planning on going when the right combo Leaf was available at Premier Nissan but things kind of happend so fast on my own with Hayward that I never had a chance to meet with Ron.

Best of luck to all and thank you!

Regards,
Syd

Just got an offer as follows in Virginia for a 2013 SV:

2 year, 12k miles/ year
$0 down
$289/month
$6936 total cost

Seems a bit high?

sport1000 said:
Hi Forum Members!

Just picked up my silver/black SV with QC/LED/Floor + cargo mats last night (5/29/13) from Hayward Nissan.

2 year, 12,000 miles/yr
$5730.87 total cost. ($395 dispo fee at the end of lease. Of course this might be $0 if I buy/lease another)

Experience was very good. I initially emailed them and after some back and forth, got the salesman to agree to $1000 down, $215/mth (all inclusive) before I showed up to the dealership. Once in the finance office, the $395 dispo fee came and of course I balked at it and they deducted half of it ($197.50) from the price of the car. This ultimately lowered me to $205.69/month. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

Hats off to this forum for helping me on my first lease. Special thanks goes out to Ron (Corina1231) who's experience and deal he recieved on his lease is what I based my negotiation on. His insight to the car/leasing business has been invaluable. Ron was even kind enough to offer to meet me at the dealership he went to. I was planning on going when the right combo Leaf was available at Premier Nissan but things kind of happend so fast on my own with Hayward that I never had a chance to meet with Ron.

Regards,
Syd

That is one of the best deals I have seen. Well done. I just picked up a similar car recently (posts earlier in the thread) and I am happy with my deal, but yours is even better.

sport1000 said:
Hi Forum Members!

2 year, 12,000 miles/yr

Regards,
Syd
Syd, I'm really happy for you. Glad I could be of help even though you found the exact color you wanted at a different dealer. I have no interest in where you buy - I just want everyone to get the bottom line deal. You did it! Congratulations and enjoy your great car!

Cheers!

Ron

Just got my new LEAF!! Thanks to everyone here for the great information.

Not a lot of data here for people looking to lease in Colorado, so I will detail my experiences.

But first of all a quick spoiler: had a super positive experience working with Ehrlich Nissan in Greeley. Worked with Brandon, and really enjoyed it.

The LEAF: Pearl white SL, floor mats, splash guards, protection pkg.

My younger brother also got a LEAF recently (Slate SL with premium pkg) but in NC, and paid $8720 (2000+23*275+395). The deal I got was similar after adjusting for different options. I am aware that some people report getting much better deals elsewhere, but this seems to be about what is possible in this area (at least without putting in a lot of work). My brother is pretty good at this sort of thing, so I have to assume it was a reasonably good deal for NC as well.

This is the procedure I used. I solicited internet quotes from about 8 nearby dealers. Most of these were not realistic. After talking to the dealers that responded on the phone, several came up with semi-reasonable offers. Told them that I was ready to buy, and what price I needed to hear to pull the trigger. Several dealers plausible attempts. Gave a couple of dealers that were making an effort another chance, but still no one was biting. It didn't look like there was much further progress to be made. So, after a little bit of back and forth, came to an agreement with Ehrlich.

Probably could have done a little better if I had worked harder, but LEAFS are selling pretty well around here and I wanted to get it done so...

I really appreciate that Ehrlich came in with a reasonable offer right from the start. They are little bit off the beaten track geographically and seem to have made the decision to really focus on internet sales. I am speculating that the other dealers in the area have made the complementary decision not to really bother competing with them, focusing instead on higher margin walk-in customers.

Boulder Nissan, in particular, started with an offer that was something vaguely plausible but with what I have seen someone else refer to as "the dreaded sales tax" add-on, which put $1300 on top of an offer that was not particularly attractive to begin with. They knocked that off pretty quickly, but wouldn't budge from there.

I really did not appreciate the dealers that opened with "sucker" deals. On the other hand, in Boulder there are probably a lot of shoppers who are not very price-conscious, so it may be a reasonable (if not attractive) strategy.

(To be continued...)

Is it possible to ship a car from a dealer outside the range, or does that make it cost prohibitive?
Is there any sort of May event going on? Any reason to think lease rates will go up next month (in a few days)?

Thanks

Back