2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been following this thread. I am working with a couple of Nissan dealers in SF Bay area.

I have been quoted the following for Nissan Leaf SV with Quick charge and LED package (with VPP discount):

12,000miles/yr

$199/month with 1999 down.
$310/month with zero down.

I have received a snapshot of the lease work sheet from one of the dealer. Just to verify the numbers, I ran them through a couple of online auto lease calculators and the figures do not match (not even close).

Here's snapshot of my calculations - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10594528/Leaf-Lease.tiff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What am I missing here?

aat167 said:
Hi, I am new to the forum but have been following this thread. I am working with a couple of Nissan dealers in SF Bay area.

I have been quoted the following for Nissan Leaf SV with Quick charge and LED package (with VPP discount):

12,000miles/yr

$199/month with 1999 down.
$310/month with zero down.

I have received a snapshot of the lease work sheet from one of the dealer. Just to verify the numbers, I ran them through a couple of online auto lease calculators and the figures are not even close.

Here's snapshot of my calculations - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10594528/Leaf-Lease.tiff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What am I missing here?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Welcome, neighbor, and I do mean neighbor since I lived in your zip code for 18 years until moving one zip code south a couple years ago! I leased my 2012 SL last October from Premier on Capital after shopping there, Boardwalk and Sunnyvale.

I pulled my lease contract to check why your quote differed and found the following:

1) add tax on your cap cost reduction ($908.84)
2) add doc processing charge ($80)
3) add DMV electronic filing fee ($29)

That totals about an extra $1000 which on a 24 month lease equals a little more than $40 a month, getting you right near that $199 number.

Hope this helps. I am going to be leasing a 2013 SL soon when my daughter gets out of school in June and gets her summer job. Please keep us posted on your success!

Cheers! Ron

Corina1231 said:
That totals about an extra $1000 which on a 24 month lease equals a little more than $40 a month, getting you right near that $199 number.
Something isn't adding up for me. Can you help me please?

Looking at the numbers in the OP, I see 122/m for 24m for SV. Add QC + LED package (1630) + 1017 in other fees that you mention, and that should push the cost up about $110/m, which would mean a total payment of $232.

So $199/m seems like a good deal. What am I missing? Is the option package discounted for VPP? If so, is there a breakdown of those costs somewhere? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Probably buried in this thread somewhere :)

wantonsoup said:
The online calculators don't know that we have to pay tax on that $7,500.

In the case of California leases, it's the $7500, plus any cash that Nissan puts in, plus any cash that you throw in. The entire Capitalized Cost Reduction is taxable in this state.

Thanks you all for you replies.

That makes sense, now.

@ITestStuff The worksheet I shared includes the price of the QC & LED lamp package. The Invoice for the package is 1414 (MSRP $1630).

@Ron The doc fee ($80) was included in my calculation. There's also a license fee of $305 which I am assuming is DMV fee. =385

The breakdown looks like this:

Total Selling price is 29810 (Invoice) + 1414 (QC&LED) + 850 (destination charge) + 132 (Flr Mats) + 313 (Marketing Assessment fee ???) = 32519 - 1000 (VPP discount) = 31519
Gross Cap cost = 31519 + 80 (doc fee) + (525) Acquisition fee + 305 (License fee) = $32114

Is the marketing assessment fee something that I can negotiate on? Also will try to get out of disposition fee.

Will keep you posted on the final figures.

aat167 said:
Is the marketing assessment fee something that I can negotiate on? Also will try to get out of disposition fee.

Even for leases, just about everything is negotiable. About the only things you can't negotiate are government fees and taxes (but you may be able to get the dealer to absorb some of this, by taking it out elsewhere), your money factor/interest rate (bank determines that, based on your credit worthiness) and the stated residual value (based on some figure the bank ueses).

The breakdown looks like this:

Total Selling price is 29810 (Invoice) + 1414 (QC&LED) + 850 (destination charge) + 132 (Flr Mats) + 313 (Marketing Assessment fee ???) = 32519 - 1000 (VPP discount) = 31519
Gross Cap cost = 31519 + 80 (doc fee) + (525) Acquisition fee + 305 (License fee) = $32114

Will keep you posted on the final figures.[/quote]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I used to be a New Car Sales Manager over 25 years ago before going on to get my MBA and changing industries. I never heard of a marketing assessment fee then or anywhere on this blog the last six month I've monitored it. As RonDawg eluded to, everything is negotiable, except TTL. Dealers can even juggle the money factor if it becomes a deal breaker and make it up to the bank elsewhere.

Here are some tips I've learned through my experience in life and the last six months on this thread:

If you qualify for VPP, and your dealer accepts it, great. It is a good deal and a no-haggle way to lease.

If you don't, and to some degree even if you do, then welcome to the negotiation world. You are fortunate to be here in San Jose where our 2 largest local dealers (Sunnyvale and Boardwalk) have over 200 Leafs in stock right now so they really are motivated to move the cars.

Through my experience in the business and as and recent Leaf lessee, I highly recommend you don't let the dealer confuse you with all the numbers and minutia. Stay focused on the TOTAL cost of your lease calculated as follows:

Down
PLUS
total of payments
PLUS
disposition fee in Nissan contract ($395).

If you are happy with the numbers, go in and make that VPP deal they offered you on your SV model. Avoid the "bait and switch" to a different car with more dealer expensive dealer added items so you get lost in the new numbers. Politely say "thank you" when your salesperson congratulates you and shakes your hand. Don't sigh of relief or let your guard down now because its not over. That nice finance manager (and they are ALL nice) is about to try to pick your pocket and they are very good at it. Avoid the coffee and sugary doughnuts you are offered and settle on water if you are thirsty and a bathroom break to gather your thoughts while you wait to go into the final battle for your money in the finance office.

Two important things to remember now: first, don't get emotionally attached to the car (or your salesperson, who is your new best friend even though you'll never see her again because she will likely be gone by the next visit you make to the showroom), and second, don't have your partner or anyone else with you in the finance office (so you can walk out easier if necessary). Then, if you are a real grinder, when you are in the finance office and the finance manager "surprises" you with the $395 disposition fee at the end of the lease (and act surprised), say "no way" and that you never accounted for that number or you would have not agreed to other numbers, and get up to walk out. Your objective is to try to get them to waive the fee like Kumar's friend did in TX or to take the equivalent cost off your down or monthly payment like they agreed to do on my lease (lowering my payment on my 36 month lease from $236 to $225). Tell them you have only been focused on the TOTAL cost of the lease and they just raised it $395 and emphasize again that you wouldn't have agreed to the other numbers if you had been told about it! It's only fair that they compensate you! It is nothing but a hidden cost that the didn't tell you about, and they are banking that you'll just accept they're explanation that "it is standard in all Nissan Leases". If they then say, "we'll that only applies if you turn the car in and don't buy it or lease or lease another car from us", you can tell them that is exactly your plan.

Of course, almost everyone just goes along and agrees to it because they or their spouse are emotionally attached to the car (which is why your partner stays outside), think they got a good deal so what the heck (after all, he said it was "standard"), are generally adverse to conflict, are uncomfortable or are not really good or used to negotiating (especially we Americans), would feel bad walking out because the salesperson has worked so hard or maybe you've seen the picture of his kids on his desk (real or borrowed from his sister), or just have just been beaten down by now by the stress or time at the dealership. Believe me, if they let you walk out now you REALLY had the best deal and were leaving nothing on the table!

Most likely, though, they won't let you walk but will offer to split the difference or make it up elsewhere. Be careful, they love to offer you a product or service (like mats or splash guards or some 6 month checkups) which costs them little but they say is of an equivalent cost, in lieu of money. Don't worry if they don't stop you from walking out. If you VPP or other negotiated deal was available then it always will be. They have now invested a lot of time in you and want the sale worse than you do. Just swallow your ego and pride and change your mind, then or later.

Lastly, I recommend you don't buy tints, Simoniz, service packages or anything else that day from that finance manager. Everything is overpriced and remember that's how a good finance manager makes themselves and their boss money. You can always change your mind if you really still want to buy it when you are more composed a week later. But don't expect your salesperson or the same finance manager to greet when you come back! I know you think I'm being facetious, but honest to God neither my salesperson or the sales manager was still at my dealership a month later when I stopped in. Instead, I was asked questions like "Daryll who" and "Nathan who, do you have a last name" by 3-4 other new eager beavers before I could get in the door! Such is the car business - outside of technological advances, it hasn't changed much in 25 years since it was my world.

Best of luck!

Ron

ITestStuff said:
Corina1231 said:
Something isn't adding up for me. Can you help me please?

Looking at the numbers in the OP, I see 122/m for 24m for SV. Add QC + LED package (1630) + 1017 in other fees that you mention, and that should push the cost up about $110/m, which would mean a total payment of $232.

So $199/m seems like a good deal. What am I missing? Is the option package discounted for VPP? If so, is there a breakdown of those costs somewhere? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Probably buried in this thread somewhere :)
ITestStuff, great question. I love math so I cant resist! Since you are only owning the car for two years you should never have to pay the full retail (marked up 50 percent or more, by the way) price of an option. Cost of options are amortized over the life of the car, but of course are more heavily weighted in the first few years when cars depreciate at a higher rate. On a short 24 month lease, paying a pro-rated 35% or 40% of the retail cost of an option is quite enough (since it relates to the similar depreciation rate of the car, as represented by the residual value compared to the original sales price). Therefore, the lessee's share amounts to about $650 of the $1600 package, which is equal to about $25-$30 a month. Add $30 to the $122, and another $40-$45 for the taxes and you are right about at the $199 a month number quoted.

wantonsoup said:

+1! I found that out in 2011 when my 'lease-calculated' payment went from $350 to $375 because of the extra taxes.

RonDawg said:
wantonsoup said:

In the case of California leases, it's the $7500, plus any cash that Nissan puts in, plus any cash that you throw in. The entire Capitalized Cost Reduction is taxable in this state.

Plus you are then taxed on your monthly payment. Depending on how you structure the deal for a 36 mo. lease you are potentially adding the equivalent of $50-60/mo. just in sales tax.

I have been running the numbers trying to make the gas savings pay the lease payment and it does - until you add in sales tax. This probably kills the deal for me.

Are all lease quotes the same? Here's one in Hawaii, and there haven't been many recent discussions that I have found here ... What would it increase for the Premium package?

Below are a few lease options on the 2013 Nissan Leaf SL

12000 miles a year
36 months
1999 drive off (plus state fees and lic) total out of pocket 3650
Monthly payment 296 plus tax

0 out of pocket
Same as above
446 per month

Selling price is 36005 plus the fees

vmpostcards said:
RonDawg said:
wantonsoup said:

Plus you are then taxed on your monthly payment. Depending on how you structure the deal for a 36 mo. lease you are potentially adding the equivalent of $50-60/mo. just in sales tax.

I have been running the numbers trying to make the gas savings pay the lease payment and it does - until you add in sales tax. This probably kills the deal for me.
Vmpostcards, whether a lease deal works for you would depend a lot on the deal you negotiate on the Leaf and the price you pay for gas and electricity here in CA. I love math so I did some calculations a while back. Here are my numbers so you can see how they might compare to yours:

I ended up leasing my 2012 Leaf SL last October with leather added for $275 down (after my $2500 California rebate) and $225 a month for 36 months, plus the $395 drop off fee at the end of the lease. I did benefit by getting an extra $2000 Nissan end of year rebate rolled into my lease to get to these numbers. The only important thing is that my TOTAL outlay for my 3 year lease is $8770.

The on board computer indicates that I get 3.8 miles per kw. I pay .15 per kw. to my electric company. Driving 12k miles a year per my lease agreement, I will use 3158 kw @ .15 kw. for a total of $475 in electricity to run the car per year. I used to get 16 mpg in the car I was driving before - it took 750 gallons at $4 a gallon here in CA to go 12k miles at a cost of $3000 a year. I save over $2500 a year in fuel costs, which over 3 years returns over $7500 back to me from my $8770 outlay. Not bad, especially when you consider we get to fly by traffic in the carpool lane twice a day! Plug in your own numbers and see if leasing a Leaf works for you!

Originally I was thinking for a 24 month lease. I read somewhere on this forum that with VPP pricing, for S and SV models, 24 month lease works out better than the 36 months even after factoring the $2500 California rebate.

However the quote for 36 months lease is 294/month with 1999 down. If I factor in the CA rebate, that's $104 less per month which brings it to almost the same price as 24 month lease.

Is the 2500 CA rebate taxable on federal tax return for next year? I am assuming it is.

Corina1231 said:
Vmpostcards, whether a lease deal works for you would depend a lot on the deal you negotiate on the Leaf and the price you pay for gas and electricity here in CA. I love math so I did some calculations a while back. Here are my numbers so you can see how they might compare to yours:

I ended up leasing my 2012 Leaf SL last October with leather added for $275 down (after my $2500 California rebate) and $225 a month for 36 months, plus the $395 drop off fee at the end of the lease. I did benefit by getting an extra $2000 Nissan end of year rebate rolled into my lease to get to these numbers. The only important thing is that my TOTAL outlay for my 3 year lease is $8770.

The on board computer indicates that I get 3.8 miles per kw. I pay .15 per kw. to my electric company. Driving 12k miles a year per my lease agreement, I will use 3158 kw @ .15 kw. for a total of $475 in electricity to run the car per year. I used to get 16 mpg in the car I was driving before - it took 750 gallons at $4 a gallon here in CA to go 12k miles at a cost of $3000 a year. I save over $2500 a year in fuel costs, which over 3 years returns over $7500 back to me from my $8770 outlay. Not bad, especially when you consider we get to fly by traffic in the carpool lane twice a day! Plug in your own numbers and see if leasing a Leaf works for you!

your dash reading is power to the wheels from the battery which is about 85% of the power from the wall (which you pay for) to the battery.

aat167 said:
Originally I was thinking for a 24 month lease. I read somewhere on this forum that with VPP pricing, for S and SV models, 24 month lease works out better than the 36 months even after factoring the $2500 California rebate.

However the quote for 36 months lease is 294/month with 1999 down. If I factor in the CA rebate, that's $104 less per month which brings it to almost the same price as 24 month lease.

Is the 2500 CA rebate taxable on federal tax return for next year? I am assuming it is.
This issue has been debated at length on this thread. My 3 year non-VPP lease deal offer in CA turned out to be much cheaper for me than the two year offers I received, so I leased for 3 years. You'll need to crunch your numbers and make the best decision for you.

The $2500 CA rebate comes to you directly from the State. I applied a few days after leasing my car last October. They responded by email that they reserved the money for me from their fund a few days later, and I received a check in 7 weeks.

@Ron Do you know if the $2500 CA rebate is taxable on Federal return for next year? I googled but could not find a definite answer.

aat167 said:
@Ron Do you know if the $2500 CA rebate is taxable on Federal return for next year? I googled but could not find a definite answer.
I bought one leaf in 2011. I just received a $2500 check. I don't remember there was any form for me to file tax return.

It seems the email strategy is not working well for me. I sent request to Boardwalk Nissan and Nissan Sunnyvale. I just received lukewarm reply, and they are not willing to give quote. The latest reply from Boardwalk is getting even funny. He said they sold 11 leafs today and:

"Lastly, we have meet our sales goals for the month and this weekend is just helping people like yourself who want the best deal at the best time..."

The Nissan Sunnyvale finally gave me a quote:

Nissan Leaf S with charger package
MSRP: $31,420
Sunnyvale Internet Price: $29,929
Rebate: $7500
Driveoff: $3800
Payment: $135 a month plus tax
Term: 24 months with 15,000 miles a year

Looks like not a good deal, right? Total will be 3800 + 135 x 23 = $6905.

Tomorrow is the last day of Nissan's lease promotion. I wonder if the leaf is really that hot at the moment.

Back