2012 Nov Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 1,519 ; Leaf 1,539

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
As you can see lot of red ink compared to last month. But better, much better, than last year.

If Leaf has another 1,500 month in December, it will end with about the same number as 2011. Not bad considering the poor sales in the first half of this year.

pluginmonthlydetails.png

Nice work on the table evnow. Looking at the numbers I can see that 2013 is going to be very interesting. Questions that pop up.

How long until Tesla breaks 1,000 cars a month ?

How long until Tesla is in the top 3 on this chart ?

Looking at the EV range of the top 3 cars with plugs, why is the car with the WORST EV range at the top of Nov sales ?

Will Toyota continue to cut the price on the PIP to keep that number one position ?

When is Nissan going to get serious about marketing the LEAF ?

cwerdna said:
... unless Toyota steps it up w/good lease deals, incentives, is able to sell a ton to fleets, they won't meet their goal of 2600 in 3 years.

Toyota needs to sell 72 per month. Not even close so far. They could easily spruce the car up with leather, wood trim, and a few other niceties to help make them fit the 50k price tag.

The only car they beat was the Honda Fit. Obviously, they don't care if they sell 30 or 100 per month, so long as the hit the target number at the end of the game.

I don't see either company getting worried for a year or two. But, I see no hope for Mitsubishi's i-Miev. They actually did want to sell some cars!!!

TonyWilliams said:
But, I see no hope for Mitsubishi's i-Miev. They actually did want to sell some cars!!!

november-2012-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card
http://insideevs.com/november-2012-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitsubishi i-MiEV: The plainest of all electric vehicles also has the plainest sales. Every month Mitsubishi sells thirty-something i-MiEVs, that is until this month when Mitsu blew past old benchmarks to sell…42

To say Mitsubishi was a consistant performer would be an understatement. Here are the previous six month results: 42-33-33-37-36-30

Unfortunately if you are a fan of the little Japaenese kei car, you got some bad news last month, as Mitsubishi said it will focus on plug-in extended range cars, like the new Outlander PHEV (due out mid 2013), and will not make a next generation for the i-MiEV, which is already in its 5 year model year.

KJD said:
evnow said:
As you can see lot of red ink compared to last month. But better, much better, than last year.

If Leaf has another 1,500 month in December, it will end with about the same number as 2011. Not bad considering the poor sales in the first half of this year.

pluginmonthlydetails.png
How long until Tesla is in the top 3 on this chart ?

Looking at the EV range of the top 3 cars with plugs, why is the car with the WORST EV range at the top of Nov sales ?

Will Toyota continue to cut the price on the PIP to keep that number one position ?
Re: Tesla, hard to say because of them not reporting monthly numbers, unlike most other automakers.

As for your remarks about the PiP... well, it seems to prove that for the price, people would rather have no range anxiety, like 50 mpg combined on regular, no need for an EVSE installed at home (yeah yeah, Leaf and pure BEVs don't need one either, but many don't know that), the room of a Prius and HOV lane access.

I don't know that Toyota's cut the price of the PiP at all. They've just put on some incentives (higher in some states than others). Those incentives combined w/state and Federal incentives can make it a decent alternative to a similarly equipped regular Prius.

Ford sold 1,259 C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrids, 179 Focus Electrics in November

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/12/ford-20121204.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not bad - Energi seems to be selling quite well. With almost no marketing support.

Back