2012 Leaf Trade in value

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I had been toying with the idea of getting a Toyota RAV4-EV. I was quoted 39.7K for a white one which is a pretty good deal.

The problem is that the 2013 pricing has totally killed resale values. I was quoted $17 K for my leaf. That is about the residual! It looks like I will be in my leaf until the lease end. No way will I pay over 10K just to get out of my lease.

GlennD said:
I had been toying with the idea of getting a Toyota RAV4-EV. I was quoted 39.7K for a white one which is a pretty good deal.

The problem is that the 2013 pricing has totally killed resale values. I was quoted $17 K for my leaf. That is about the residual! It looks like I will be in my leaf until the lease end. No way will I pay over 10K just to get out of my lease.

Same here... estimated $17-18K on my 2012 Leaf for trading up to a 2013... Sigh. KBB shows the value as over $22K for it, so I was pretty surprised their offer was so low.

I purchased my 2012 and if we get a 2013 it will be a lease instead, so we don't have these issues anymore going forward. Realized that I want to keep up with the tech a bit faster, and I couldn't do a lease originally since I picked up an orphan Leaf out-of-state.

you might call around and shoot for 22.5, that is what I did, I walked, they called me back and that was just a few months ago. I wasn't going for a 2013, I was just trying to essentially convert to a 2012 Lease, and it worked with no money down. the 2013 really doesn't have much over the 2012. you can try private sale. I only got two low ball offers from trolling dealers for$19 and $20K in December.

OP, part of the problem is that they really discounted the 2012's at the end. I paid 27,920 for an SL new subtract the $7,500 tax incentive and we end up at $20,420 for a brand new one. I hope you can get what you need. I am going to lease another for the wife if I can get a deal like some of these posters are posting.

I LOVE MY LEAF!!!

Some posters have told tales of terminating their leases early through NMAC rather than selling/trading out of them. I called NMAC a few months ago and asked if there were any options and the lady said it was too soon but I should call back after having the car a full year.

I got 19,500 for my 2012 SL with only 7300miles. It was a lease that i traded in. I sucked up the negative on a hugely discounted VOLT. Sucks, but if you can hold on for a bit longer values will probably increase...slightly. Sad how their values are currently.

Well, I really do love my Leaf. I am glad I leased it so Nissan takes the hit! It really fits my needs but an RAV4-EV would be perfect. I assume the discounting has also killed the Toyota's values.

GlennD said:
Well, I really do love my Leaf. I am glad I leased it so Nissan takes the hit! It really fits my needs but an RAV4-EV would be perfect. I assume the discounting has also killed the Toyota's values.

I only know of exactly one used Rav4 EV (gen II), so I don't really have a sense of resale value for a car that's been on the market a total of 6 months.

New, in California, the net price after government credits/rebates is in the high $20k range for a brand new Rav4, plus tax on the full $51k original price.

Your $39.7k quote would put the TOTAL net cost at $29.7k. If I had a LEAF and it didn't meet my needs, I would eat the cost and get the car that does (actually, that's exactly what I did).

Tony you can clearly absorb a loss. I would be able to come up with a few thousand but 10k, NO WAY!

The Leaf fits my needs but I have been a SUV Guy for at least the last 20 years.

At the VERY VERY slow sales rate I an sure in 22 months there will still be discounts on the RAV4-EV. At the current rate it will take over 5 years for this CARB vehicle to to sell its 2600 units. Since I would finance and hold on to the SUV the lack of resale values is a non issue.

TonyWilliams said:
GlennD said:

I only know of exactly one used Rav4 EV (gen II), so I don't really have a sense of resale value for a car that's been on the market a total of 6 months.

New, in California, the net price after government credits/rebates is in the high $20k range for a brand new Rav4, plus tax on the full $51k original price.

Your $39.7k quote would put the TOTAL net cost at $29.7k. If I had a LEAF and it didn't meet my needs, I would eat the cost and get the car that does (actually, that's exactly what I did).

Tony speaks the gospel GlennD
I faced a similar situation. I was only offered $16,500 for my 2011 Leaf for a trade in on a 2013. I walked. I will keep the Leaf, a excellent car that will payback over the long haul, and hand it off to my wife. Sell her 08 Prius, and buy a really really nice RAV4 EV and have it shipped to Wa. state. $32,000 final cost, 0% financing, $0 down. Guess what GleenD... it's really a Tesla under the hood. The guys at work are beside themselves. A co-worker called to have one shipped hours after I did. And 4 more want to test drive it as soon as it arrives. Thanks Nissan for low balling me... because the Rav4 EV just ate you for lunch. :D

doug401 said:
Sell her 08 Prius, and buy a really really nice RAV4 EV and have it shipped to Wa. state. $32,000 final cost, 0% financing, $0 down.
What will you do if you need to change the motor on the RAV4 EV like Tony is getting done now ? Will your local dealer do it - or do you have to ship it back and forth for nearly $2k ?

evnow said:
doug401 said:
Sell her 08 Prius, and buy a really really nice RAV4 EV and have it shipped to Wa. state. $32,000 final cost, 0% financing, $0 down.
What will you do if you need to change the motor on the RAV4 EV like Tony is getting done now ? Will your local dealer do it - or do you have to ship it back and forth for nearly $2k ?

Thanks evnow, because that is the question of the day.
I spoke with Rodland Toyota, my dealer for our Prius. They will service it, according to Dan, the service manager. But I am still skeptical, and am going to get it in writing, just as RichardC has done in Vancouver WA., fellow Rav4 EV owner. But your point is well taken, bottom line... I am prepared to send it to Sacramento if Rodland fails me, if Seattle dealers fail me, if Vancouver dealers fail me. Of course the dealer where I purchased it says any Prius Plug-in certified can work on it.

You understand the passion of owning EVs. My Leaf has never let me down, and I am willing to step up to the plate again. ;)

GlennD said:

you are simply delaying "sticker regret" by hanging onto your LEAF. you made the commitment, stick with it. you got a 2012 so guessing you got a decent deal on it.

besides, if you did get the RAV right now, in less than 2 years you will be right back here lamenting how you should have waited. if you have any doubts about this, ask me about my $400 DVD player...

GlennD said:
I am an early adopter. The "deal" I got was list price.

oh that sucks. so you have just about 2 years to go then? or did you do a two year?

either way, i think the price of Nissan EVs are going DOWN. putting manufacturing on American soil has got to be significant. material costs are lower here, manufacturing costs are lower here and labor costs are lower here and there is no exchange rate to deal with.

we also have the volume potential. before the LEAF was coming from a single plant that built several other models. now its coming from 2 other plants so 3 altogether with another (for China only i think?) so this volume will lower the unit price.

now, that does not always equate to savings on the showroom floor but I think Nissan has settled for the fact that they need to play the long term game here and get the cars on the streets now as quickly as they possibly can.

Thanks Nissan for low balling me... because the Rav4 EV just ate you for lunch

Kidding? Who wants to have so-called SUV with only front-wheel drive available? The exterior is already outdated with new year model ICE RAV's looking much better IMHO. I had test driven RAV and while its a cool car and has better range its' still way too expensive to lease. You shouldn't be buying RAV nor Leaf. Otherwise we will have another crying out trend "2012 RAVEV Trade-in Value" in less than a year. And as far as driving those - my personal preference goes to Leaf - smoother and more refined drive. And at the end - either one of them will pay for itself just by eliminating the gas cost.

Back