2012 Leaf fault - ZPA0AA6 00C0 EV/HEV Hybrid Batt Volt Sys Isolation EVC-157

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgalpin

Hi all

I bought a 2012 Leaf with 60k miles, 24kwh pack, 10 bars, good 12v battery, with this fault. I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this.

The symptoms are that once the code is thrown, you can't charge or put the car into drive. If I clear the codes I can put it in drive and drove it around the block without any issues. This does not have chademo charging, and the 12V battery is fine.

I'll describe what I know, and provide a link to a thread I started on DIYElectricCar with more details on my battery state and tests.

Leaf Spy DTCs:
P31E7 00C0 EV/HEV Restart Inhibition EVC-310
PA0AA6 00C0 EV/HEV Hybrid Batt Volt Sys Isolation EVC-157

It can include a bunch of others (seemingly randomly), but these are the two that consistently return after clearing the codes.

In short, I *think* the battery is ok (see below and let me know if you disagree), and would like to know if I can isolate the problem by disconnecting the HVAC system to prove/disprove it's the culprit, since the A/C blows warm. At this point I won't be driving the car as-is, but want to verify where the problem is and what components are good/bad.

I pulled the battery, verified there is no moisture, and ran a bunch of tests on the pack itself, and the individual modules including voltage to ground/case and insulation resistance.

More details on the tests i have run so far, and the battery condition are https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/leaf-module-testing-for-insulation-resistance-loss.203817. Do you agree the pack is ok, or are those cells bad? If I need to re-post that info here, just let me know, but I don't see a way to upload pictures.

tia,
charles

To show pictures, upload them to a site like IMGUR and then link them here using the "Img" option in the posting window menu on the highlighted url for the image in your post.

Isolation faults (short circuits) are not good. You seem to realize that, and think that there is a short in the HVAC system rather than the battery. I don't think we can weigh in on this, but you seem to be on the right track at this point.

The warranty on defective HV components is 8 years, so it's unlikely that would be still covered on a 2012, but it's worth checking the in service date of the LEAF. Although, if you've had the pack apart already then Nissan would be unlikely to honor the warranty anyways.

You might want to DM mux or dala as they have considerable expertise RE the HV components and pack.

In case it's useful, here's the EVC troubleshooting manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2012%20Leaf/evc.pdf

Dala gave me a hand over in the other thread, thanks!

I should have mentioned that the previous owner took it to the Nissan dealer and they determined it was a battery issue and wanted a blank cheque to open it up (it has a rusty undercarriage).

I am not sure whether to trust their diagnosis though - they also charged her for brakes and her rotors look like they have been under water for a year and the brakes sound awful. I haven't even bothered to check, but doubt the pads were replaced, and to just replace pads with those rotors would be criminal in my book!

I am kind of petered out on it. Will likely part it out, or sell the car as a whole without the battery, but I really did want to figure out what the problem is, even if just for the satisfaction. But I have limited time to play with it.

Was hoping there was a way to say disconnect the HVAC get some other code, but not the dreaded PA0AA6 and verify it can charge fine.

Back