2012 Leaf - 6.6kW - Any Release Date Info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

We are told that the 2012 Leaf will come with 6.6kW charging capability.

Does anyone have good information regarding the first date on which 6.6kW cars will be delivered in the USA?

My delivery date has 'slipped' a month and is now December. If waiting until January will result in a 6.6 kW capable Leaf, whereas delivery in December results in a 3.3kV car, I am ready to delay.

I've sure I'm not the first to think this. If I were Nissan, the information I am asking about would be a deep, dark secret, so that 2011 model cars would continue to flow through the supply chain in an orderly fashion. That said, there's no harm in asking.

thanks

baumgrenze

Nope, not until the 2013 model year, if even then. And if we have to wait that long anyway, why not something really useful like a 10 or 12 Kw charger?

baumgrenze said:
We are told that the 2012 Leaf will come with 6.6kV charging capability.

Thank you everyone for the input.

For the sake of searchers, I edited the post to read kW not kV.

Thanks for settling our minds. November 2011 to December 2011 to January 2012 was thinkable but not January 2013 (or a few months earlier or later, for that matter.)

thanks,

baumgrenze

The LEAFs DC fast charging negates the value of a 6.6kW level 2 charger for the vast majority of customers. It's really too bad the Ford Focus EV opted to not offer DC fast charging as an option.

ENIAC said:
The LEAFs DC fast charging negates the value of a 6.6kW level 2 charger for the vast majority of customers. It's really too bad the Ford Focus EV opted to not offer DC fast charging as an option.

I wish this were true. :(
There are more than twenty J1772 chargers around may area, many in convenient locations. I do a fair amount of public charging but am usually disappointed to find that I only gain 10-20 miles with a typical convenience charge. It would be great to get the 20-40 miles that 6.6KW would provide.

ENIAC said:
The LEAFs DC fast charging negates the value of a 6.6kW level 2 charger for the vast majority of customers.
They each negate the value of the other.... depending on your needs, available infrastructure and cost.

mdvb747 said:
ENIAC said:

I wish this were true. :(
There are more than twenty J1772 chargers around may area, many in convenient locations. I do a fair amount of public charging but am usually disappointed to find that I only gain 10-20 miles with a typical convenience charge. It would be great to get the 20-40 miles that 6.6KW would provide.

I agree and I agree. Although DC fast charging could negate the value of a 6.6kW charging, there aren't any available (in my state of CA) and they cost a lot more money and take a lot longer to get installed than L2 chargers... thus, an on-board 6.6kW charger would really be helpful.

Hopefully there's an upgrade path for us early adopters when it becomes available.

In YOUR state (Northern CA) there is one QC in public, but it is turned OFF.

In the other (Southern, not Baja) CA, there is one operating in Cypress, but only M-F during business hours, and you have to ask nicely to have it unlocked.

A QC there yesterday, from about 20% to 70% (adding 50%), took about 20 minutes, and then it took about another 10 minutes to get to 80% (adding that 10%).

The battery "temperature" display went up, turning on 2 additional bars. :eek:
So, under 75ºF to over 98ºF.
(edited to add the next break-point, thanks)

garygid said:
In YOUR state (Northern CA) there is one QC in public, but it is turned OFF.

In the other (Southern, not Baja) CA, there is one operating in Cypress, but only M-F during business hours, and you have to ask nicely to have it unlocked.

It's still "our" state for the time being - until the big one hits ;-)

I forgot about the Vacaville charger and I didn't know about the Cypress one. Thanks for setting me straight. I will revise my view that for the DC quick charger to negate the 6.6kW, there need to be MANY more of them available - perhaps half of the number of public L2s. Honestly, the only reason I got one was to qualify for the EV Project and get my "free" Blink.

EricBayArea said:
I agree and I agree. Although DC fast charging could negate the value of a 6.6kW charging, there aren't any available (in my state of CA) and they cost a lot more money and take a lot longer to get installed than L2 chargers... thus, an on-board 6.6kW charger would really be helpful.

Hopefully there's an upgrade path for us early adopters when it becomes available.

Presently there are very few available public Level 2 EVSEs and even fewer DC fast chargers. Charging at home, over night, will cover the vast majority of charging needs. When you need to travel in your EV between metro areas within a megalopolisis, public charging will be mandatory. Think LA to San Diego, the Texas triangle, Florida south coast, Northern CA, and Piedmont Atlantic, for example. In the case of Piedmont Atlantic they're building out DC fast charging at Cracker Barrel restaurants. So which would you rather do if you were traveling, DC fast charge in under a 1/2 hour or wait over 3 hours to charge using a level 2 EVSE and a 6.6kW onboard charger? It's true a 3.3kW would take over 7 hours to charge. But the point is 7 hours AND 3 hours are both unacceptable. Whereas 1/2 hour DC fast charging is on the ragged edge of acceptable. But at least you can enjoy "sum dat" fine Cracker Barrel chow while you wait!

garygid said:

A QC there yesterday, from about 20% to 70% (adding 50%), took about 20 minutes, and then it took about another 10 minutes to get to 80% (adding that 10%).

So, under 75ºF to over ... the next break-point, I forgot what it is!
Here you go: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=51231#p51231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battery temp bar 5 turns on at 50.5*
Battery temp bar 6 turns on at 74.3*
Battery temp bar 7 turns on at 98.2*
Battery temp bar 8 turns on at 122*

The chart seems to imply there's no hysteresis built into the gauge?

We need Dc fast chargers conveniently scattered around the major cities and 10kw inboard chargers. I would go for 6.6kw if that is all there was but 10kw should be the standard. Then we could charge in a little over 2 hours from 220. Waiting 7 hours to go another 70 miles is sad when were in a pinch. Fast chargers and bigger onboard chargers would allo most of us to become 2 ev households.

EVDrive said:
We need Dc fast chargers conveniently scattered around the major cities and 10kw inboard chargers. I would go for 6.6kw if that is all there was but 10kw should be the standard. Then we could charge in a little over 2 hours from 220. Waiting 7 hours to go another 70 miles is sad when were in a pinch. Fast chargers and bigger onboard chargers would allo most of us to become 2 ev households.

12Kw is a standard mark in that range. What would you pay to have a 12kw home charger for your LEAF that would plug into the car and work with no modification? Turn key plug in and bolt to the wall.

mikee322 said:
I think Level two has a Max charge rate of 7.2KW ... Anything above that will be a level 3, and a different connector..

nope.

Maximum is J-1772 L2 is 75A @ 240V, which is 18KW of power, so 12KW is no problem if you have the amperage availble and the L2 EVSE to support the higher power levels.

garygid said:
So, under 75ºF to over ... the next break-point, I forgot what it is!

OMG 122° F for a fast charge to 80%!.. next bar would have been in the red danger zone right?. You would not have been able to charge to 100%.

Herm said:
OMG 122° F for a fast charge to 80%!.. next bar would have been in the red danger zone right?. You would not have been able to charge to 100%.
No, it only went up to 98*F - 7 bars. Should have 3 more bars (122, 126.5, 131) before red zone (135.5, 140). Charge rate slows down significantly after 80% to avoid significantly over heating the battery. Nothing to worry about.

Back