2011 or 2013 Leaf charger for L2 upgrade for the 2013 leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasless

Going to use evseupgrade.com to upgrade either one. I have been told the 2013 charger has memory. Is there any pros or cons of sending either for upgrade?

Thank you

gasless said:
Going to use evseupgrade.com to upgrade either one. I have been told the 2013 charger has memory. Is there any pros or cons of sending either for upgrade?
The charger is built into the car. I believe you are asking about which EVSE to send in. The EVSEupgrade web site has a bright yellow bar at the top saying
2013 Leaf owners: We have great new options with even faster charging for you! Please contact us for more information!
That's you, so contact them. One hint: They will be probably be happier to help you if you don't call your two EVSEs chargers.

We now have a new web site in operation, and I'm working on getting more details added and brought up to date. Hopefully we can get the new FAQ system operational soon. There are pictures showing both units for comparison.

The 2013 model is a bit smaller and lighter, with a more flexible cord. The only major difference is that the internal design of the 2013 has flash memory that stores your settings after power loss, whereas the 2011-2012 units don't.

They both are equipped with the same length (approximately 25' overall) #12 AWG cable, but the 2013 is slightly smaller overall, and it's more flexible.

If I had both, I would upgrade the 2013 model, but it's not worth paying more to get a 2013.

It would also be a great help for the new site if our existing customers could give us reviews on their upgrades:
Here is the review link for 2011-2012 upgrades.
Here is the review link for 2013 upgrades.
(You'll have to register with us to do so)

Thanks!

-Phil

adric22 said:
Has anyone found the price for buying a 2013 EVSE direct from Nissan? Is it still ridiculously expensive?
We presently have a few left in stock, but they are on national backorder now. (I think we got them all)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
We now have a new web site in operation, and I'm working on getting more details added and brought up to date. Hopefully we can get the new FAQ system operational soon. There are pictures showing both units for comparison.

The 2013 model is a bit smaller and lighter, with a more flexible cord. The only major difference is that the internal design of the 2013 has flash memory that stores your settings after power loss, whereas the 2011-2012 units don't.

They both are equipped with the same length (approximately 25' overall) #12 AWG cable, but the 2013 is slightly smaller overall, and it's more flexible.

If I had both, I would upgrade the 2013 model, but it's not worth paying more to get a 2013.

It would also be a great help for the new site if our existing customers could give us reviews on their upgrades:
Here is the review link for 2011-2012 upgrades.
Here is the review link for 2013 upgrades.
(You'll have to register with us to do so)

Thanks!

-Phil

Sorry to momentarily hijack....Phil, I used your link to write a testimonial. I also suggest editing the "Testamonial" button on your new website :D

New site looks great, btw.

Thanks Nick! Don't get "Testi"! =)

So many typos... So little time.

-Phil

nickdwagner said:
Sorry to momentarily hijack....Phil, I used your link to write a testimonial. I also suggest editing the "Testamonial" button on your new website :D

New site looks great, btw.

Phil,

Primary question I have, which I have not found yet is this: I spent the $287 to upgrade my 2012 EVSE, and want to know if it can indeed be used safely on my new 2013 LEAF. I would assume the only thing it will not do is go the 6.6KW charging. Is this correct?

Otherwise, will I be OK using the 2012 EVSE upgrade you did for me in November?

Of course you can! It's not even worth bothering Phil with questions like this. That's what standards are all about. If you can plug it into the car, you can use it. Any J1772 compatible EVSE(*) can be used with any car, regardless of brand or model, if that car has a J1772 port.

Assuming you are talking about a 2013 SV or SL, or an S with the Charging Package, you are right that your upgraded 2012 EVSE won't let your car charge as fast as it could with many other EVSEs. But it will charge overnight, usually in six hours or less, which is all that most people need at home.

Ray

* There have been occasional reports of cheap EVSEs that cause problems with LEAFs or other cars because they don't exactly meet the J1772 standard, but Phil never ships shoddy merchandise.

planet4ever said:
* There have been occasional reports of cheap EVSEs that cause problems with LEAFs or other cars because they don't exactly meet the J1772 standard
The Leaf EVSE's are known to not work with Teslas or gen2 RAV4 EV; it doesn't exactly meet the standard ether! :)

I have an EVSE rev2 upgrade. I'd like the "rev3" upgrade where I can adjust the current. I understand it won't remember the setting, but I find that to be perfectly acceptable. What will the cost be for a rev2 to rev3 upgrade service?

Ingineer said:
We now have a new web site in operation, and I'm working on getting more details added and brought up to date. Hopefully we can get the new FAQ system operational soon.
Phil, if one already has their EVSE upgraded, what is the cost to get the programmable current feature added to it? Any details on how that works? Thanks!

We don't yet have an upgrade program, but it's in the pipes. We have our hands full right now, we are getting record orders trying to keep up with the record Leaf sales.

Also: the New 2013 EVSE is 100% compliant with J1772. It will charge anything. The 2011-2012 Leaf EVSE did not completely follow the J1772 standard, upgraded or not, due to a hardware limitation. There is no harm in plugging it in, but Tesla-made on board charging systems will not accept it's pilot and begin charging. This is actually a combination of the EVSE not being 100% compliant, along with Tesla checking for more than the standard states. There are several other EVSE's that have trouble with Tesla's as well.

-Phil

I'd like to find out more about the rev3 upgrade where one can adjust the current draw. That is a big feature IMO. How is the current adjusted? Switches? Magnet?

You adjust the amperage setting with a procedure that uses the release button on the J1772 handle. The EVSE also indicates it's amperage by flashing a code using it's status LED's. At some point when we get some time, we'll provide a video. We furnish a printed guide with each unit detailing the operating and programming instructions.

-Phil

Back