2 bars lost at 8100 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachfitrob

I was looking back at my Carfax for something else and figured out why specifically the two bar loss at 8100 miles.

The *DEALER* who owned it for a YEAR at one point in it's life put about 100 (yes, 100!) miles on it in that time. 8 miles a month. I bet that's a big part of it.

I've put over 4000 miles on it in 72 days. (That replacement battery WILL be mine!)

I bought it at 8100 miles on Jan 2.

IIRC I've lost about 5% Health rating in that time reported by Leaf Spy

Will update:

Date/ GID/SOC/kWh remaining/Ah/capacity bars/Health %/ Hx / temp
-------------------------------------------
14 Mar 2014 227 95.6% 17.6 53.31 10 81% 64.59 70ish degrees

beachfitrob said:
The *DEALER* who owned it for a YEAR at one point in it's life put about 100 (yes, 100!) miles on it in that time. 8 miles a month. I bet that's a big part of it.
It was probably just a few drives early on totally 99 miles then that last 500ft drive after topping off to full to let the car sit for months and bake in a hot parking lot. :?

beachfitrob said:
Will update:

Date/ GID/SOC/kWh remaining/Ah/capacity bars/Health %/ Hx / temp
-------------------------------------------
14 Mar 2014 227 95.6% 17.6 53.31 10 81% 64.59 70ish degrees

Two bars down with a 53.31 Ahr reading suggests it hasn't gotten the software update, yet, to correct for erroneously low capacity readings. Might gain a bar back if you get the software update.

I lost my first bar very early, at about 57 Ahr. Didn't gain it back after the software update, but, since then, it has been holding 11 bars for a very long time.

GregH said:
beachfitrob said:
It was probably just a few drives early on totally 99 miles then that last 500ft drive after topping off to full to let the car sit for months and bake in a hot parking lot. :?

I would also bet this had a lot to do with the problem.

So you think the dealer kept it at 100% state of charge the whole time instead of 80%? Oy...

EVExtend said:
So you think the dealer kept it at 100% state of charge the whole time instead of 80%? Oy...
And Nissan apparently removed the setting to charge to only 80% on the '14 Leafs... :roll:

See http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-mostly-unchanged-as-range-technically-moves-up-to-84-miles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you haven't already.

For the record, our second LEAF was a demo which sat at a Houston-area dealership for 18 months from October 2011 to March 2013. In those 18 months it was driven only 1624 miles, less than 100 miles/month. When it arrived it had slightly less range - barely detectable - than our then-4 month old 2012 LEAF. Now, at 13,000 miles and a year in a cool climate (very few days above 90F, and infrequently left in direct sun), it still has all bars and the battery is maybe 90-92%.

So, whatever was done to your LEAF had to have been extra neglectful.

Location, location, location! Tx versus Co...

cgaydos said:
For the record, our second LEAF was a demo which sat at a Houston-area dealership for 18 months from October 2011 to March 2013. In those 18 months it was driven only 1624 miles, less than 100 miles/month. When it arrived it had slightly less range - barely detectable - than our then-4 month old 2012 LEAF. Now, at 13,000 miles and a year in a cool climate (very few days above 90F, and infrequently left in direct sun), it still has all bars and the battery is maybe 90-92%. So, whatever was done to your LEAF had to have been extra neglectful.

TomT said:
Location, location, location! Tx versus Co...

cgaydos said:
For the record, our second LEAF was a demo which sat at a Houston-area dealership for 18 months from October 2011 to March 2013. In those 18 months it was driven only 1624 miles, less than 100 miles/month. When it arrived it had slightly less range - barely detectable - than our then-4 month old 2012 LEAF. Now, at 13,000 miles and a year in a cool climate (very few days above 90F, and infrequently left in direct sun), it still has all bars and the battery is maybe 90-92%. So, whatever was done to your LEAF had to have been extra neglectful.

Of course - but you'll notice the car spent the first 18 months of its life in Texas in similar circumstances to what the OP described.

Weatherman said:
Two bars down with a 53.31 Ahr reading suggests it hasn't gotten the software update, yet, to correct for erroneously low capacity readings. Might gain a bar back if you get the software update.

You will DEFINITELY gain a bar back after getting the P3227 update. I just lost my second bar around 50 AHr. I agree with the hypothesis that car set on a lot baking in the sun @100% for much of it's early life. :evil:

Back