1st month

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockWI

Going in to this, we thought we would like the car and use it about for about half of our mileage, we are using it more than either of our other two cars and more than my wife or I imagined. I think for us that was the biggest surprise, how capable the car is and how "use-able" it is and that we can use it for more of our daily tasks than we had imagined. The first week we only had the 120vac charger and found there were a few times we couldn't take the car again the same day because we didn't have enough charge left and / or couldn't get enough charge in overnight for the next day's running. So we added a level 2 charger, now we can keep running all day and evening. Last Saturday we drove just under 200 miles running errands and running the kids around. My wife really likes it because we can "fill" it up at home, not taking the time or going out of our way to stop at a gas station.

So our first month’s numbers all charged at home.

1511 miles, 384 kWh @ $.0631 (all off peak) / kWh for a total of 1.60 cents per mile or $24.23 total for the month. We got 3.93 miles / kWh (from wall) and growing each week as we figure out how to drive more efficiently and it’s getting warmer so we aren't using the heater as much. Comparing the cost to the previous month, moving that 1500 miles back to the wagon and van we would have consumed a minimum of $200 in gas and diesel saving us at least $175 this month.

We are a bit worried about running 1500 miles a month, but we are hoping it is just an "it's new phase". Between all three cars we usually drive about 2000 miles a month and thought 1/2 would be the leaf, but again we found we can use the leaf more than we had anticipated.

We have 4 kids and another interesting thing we found it is less expensive to run the leaf at about 2 cents a mile and the VW diesel wagon, about 10 cents a mile (12 cents a mile for both) than to all pile in the van and run 20 cents a mile. We used to try to time it so we all went at the same time in the van, now we don't have to do that and are actually consuming less energy as well. Of course for longer trips out of town the van will still be the work horse.

Overall we couldn't be more pleased with the new vehicle.

BrockWI said:
Going in to this, we thought we would like the car and use it about for about half of our mileage, we are using it more than either of our other two cars and more than my wife or I imagined. I think for us that was the biggest surprise, how capable the car is and how "use-able" it is and that we can use it for more of our daily tasks than we had imagined.

This is one of the biggest surprises Leaf owners encounter (including myself). It's the opposite of "you don't know what you have until it's gone": "you don't know how great a Leaf is until you have one" :D

Stanton said:
This is one of the biggest surprises Leaf owners encounter (including myself). It's the opposite of "you don't know what you have until it's gone": "you don't know how great a Leaf is until you have one" :D
Exactly and there is no way to explain that to someone who doesn't have one, they just can't imagine it would work for them even knowing what they drive, it would work for them.

Please correct me if my math is wrong, but the other tidbit it of knowledge I share is comparably a "gallon" of electricity costs us $2.13 (33.7 kWh * $.0631/kwh) and our leaf is getting 132 mpg (33.7*3.93 miles/kwh), numbers most people can relate to. And as others have mentioned our "gallon" of electricity has been stable for a few years now. I usually don't even go in to the fact that about 66% (this month anyway) of that "gallon" of electricity was generated from the solar panels on our roof. I need to add more panels so we are totally offsetting the leaf energy use.

BrockWI said:
Going in to this, we thought we would like the car and use it about for about half of our mileage, we are using it more than either of our other two cars and more than my wife or I imagined.

Welcome to the club. That's why we got a second LEAF - the first one was be driven at far more than the 15k miles/year lease allowed.

BrockWI said:
We have 4 kids and another interesting thing we found it is less expensive to run the leaf at about 2 cents a mile and the VW diesel wagon, about 10 cents a mile (12 cents a mile for both) than to all pile in the van and run 20 cents a mile. We used to try to time it so we all went at the same time in the van, now we don't have to do that and are actually consuming less energy as well.

We have 4 kids as well, and now drive most places in two LEAFs instead of the minivan for the same reason.

BrockWI said:
Please correct me if my math is wrong, but the other tidbit it of knowledge I share is comparably a "gallon" of electricity costs us $2.13 (33.7 kWh * $.0631/kwh) and our leaf is getting 132 mpg (33.7*3.93 miles/kwh), numbers most people can relate to.
Correct for the EPA 33.7 kWh "gallon" of electricity. But that comparison badly understates the benefit of your LEAF.
Stick to the cents/mile comparison
Less than 2 cents per mile fuel cost is less than 20% of the very efficient VW TDI.
That's the thing to focus on!
And try to forget about long term battery replacement cost.

BrockWI said:
My wife really likes it because we can "fill" it up at home, not taking the time or going out of our way to stop at a gas station.

To me, that's what really makes the EV a "killer app". Fuel placed in your car by magic angels while you sleep.

Running to the gas station is inconvenient. It takes time out of your schedule and often comes at the most inopportune times -- e.g., you're running late in the morning and get in your car only to realize you need Fuel. This is where the "5 minute refuel" myth falls apart. And to add insult to injury, there's the $50, $60 or more payment.

Over and over and over.....

Petroleum is a harsh mistress.

Yes but the problem is when I say it's less than 2 cents a mile for fuel, I get the blank confused stare. I then point out that a car getting 30 mpg cost about 12 cents a mile for fuel. Then I get, "Well what does it cost a week to fill up, I only pay $40 to fill up, usually once but sometimes twice a week." Completely disregarding the miles driven or actual miles per gallon of the vehicle. All I can say to that is about $4 a week...

I found an easy way to explain it to people. I drive 3,000 miles on $66 worth of electricity, not counting any free public charging, and additionally note that my SUV will only go about 250 miles on that same $66.

Hey I like that, just point out that half of what ever they say it cost to fill up is the mileage driven, so if they say they fill up once a week for $50 bucks that 2500 miles in a leaf

Copying someone here on the forum, I had a license plate frame made that sums up the metric folks can use to compare any vehicle's economy: "40 miles per dollar". You'll still get the confused stare, most likely, but then you can just say, "take your miles per gallon, and divide it by the price you pay for gas (dollars per gallon)". Or you can say something like "I get 40 miles per dollar. Multiplied by 4 dollars per gallon, that's the equivalent of 160 miles per gallon. How many MPG is your ride?"

Thats what i love most about the car.... the economics of it. People still cant get past the electric/range/change part like a mental oil clot. Its so 'new' that it makes no sense to them... 'noo way thats not for me' ..... pffft the hell it isnt..... its ok Ill save the money they can spend it.... just dont complain to me about gas prices. dooo something about it.

Back