120 Miles on a full charge? No Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIBBER said:
On the range subject. I notice when maintaining speed in 'D' then switching to 'B' mode there is a noticable feeling of drag (again maintaining speed) have any other drivers felt this? Is it actually causing drag and could that be negatively affecting range?

There are 2 separate issues here which can be confused.

1 - Regenerative braking is more aggressive.
2 - accelerator pedal "mapping" is different.

When you are maintaining speed, regen does not come into play. So there is not more "drag" in that scenario when you change the selection.

However, the different pedal mapping can seem like "drag" because if you keep your foot in the same position, the car will slow down as you're now commanding less power. You'll briefly decelerate and when you decelerate the regen *does* come on. You need to push the accelerator pedal further to maintain the previous speed.

Whether or not aggressive regen is beneficial to efficiency, depends on conditions, and your driving style. For dedicated hypermilers the answer is probably no. For more typical drivers, more likely yes.

I think the B mode is mapped as accelerator and brake combined. The bottom 85% is accelerator and the top 15% is brake. If you press the accelerator to 15%, it's coasting. More than 15% is using electricity. Less than 15% is regenerating.

more less coasting maintaining acceleration max acceleration
braking braking speed
<0%---------------15%------------------------------------------100%>

You can pretty much drive with single pedal until you need to complete stop. I have tried B and D and they have similar efficiency. If I am in traffic, I would use B. Otherwise, you have to watch out you are not regenerating unnecessary.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The throttle mapping is surely what I'm feeling. So there seems to be a different base TM for D,B & Eco. Not sure why the Mapping has to be different between D/B I'd like to see Nissan's data to explain that.
Nubo said:
GIBBER said:
On the range subject. I notice when maintaining speed in 'D' then switching to 'B' mode there is a noticable feeling of drag (again maintaining speed) have any other drivers felt this? Is it actually causing drag and could that be negatively affecting range?

There are 2 separate issues here which can be confused.

1 - Regenerative braking is more aggressive.
2 - accelerator pedal "mapping" is different.

When you are maintaining speed, regen does not come into play. So there is not more "drag" in that scenario when you change the selection.

However, the different pedal mapping can seem like "drag" because if you keep your foot in the same position, the car will slow down as you're now commanding less power. You'll briefly decelerate and when you decelerate the regen *does* come on. You need to push the accelerator pedal further to maintain the previous speed.

Whether or not aggressive regen is beneficial to efficiency, depends on conditions, and your driving style. For dedicated hypermilers the answer is probably no. For more typical drivers, more likely yes.

Back