10Kw Fast Charger w/ Inverter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lne937s said:
Also, the wireless charger is 6kW, but that probably won't work with current cars.

Although Nissan isn't officially saying we 2011 and 2012 can't upgrade to 6.6kW, they are officially saying that 2011-2013 can't be retrofitted for wireless. Alas, but give me 6.6kW and I'm happy!

Actually, Nissan was quite definitive at the Dec. 3rd meeting that 2011-2012 vehicles can NOT be upgraded to 6.6 kw. Much too complicated to overhaul it all such that you should just buy a 2013 model.

lne937s said:
Another article on the PCS:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/884798-...abling-electric-leaf-car-to-power-family-home

What would be great is if they could integrate solar inverter functionality, as the DC to AC circuitry already exists.

Not as bad as I thought, but still pricey, at 4,000 pounds, that comes out to $6,187.86 USD, today.

"
In the demonstration, the Leaf was powering a specially-designed Smart House but Nissan is confident the technology could be used with existing homes. The power control system box will go on sale at the end of March next year in Japan, where more than 8,000 Leafs have been sold since the car launched in December 2010. The box will cost more than £4,000.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/884798-nissan-unveils-technology-enabling-electric-leaf-car-to-power-family-home#ixzz1gWxkl27N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

evnow said:
TimeHorse said:
Well, looks like I'll be selling this car then. The LEAF Needs a 6.6kW Charger![/url]
What we really need are CHAdeMO everywhere !
Gee, I'm perfectly happy with my 2.9kW charger (12A EVSE upgrade). Don't you guys ever sleep? (More battery capacity would be nice, though, and yes, I realize that would mean longer charging times.)

Ray

evnow said:
TimeHorse said:
Well, looks like I'll be selling this car then. The LEAF Needs a 6.6kW Charger!
What we really need are CHAdeMO everywhere !

Apparently that was why Nissan went with the slower 3.3kw charger since they expected CHAdeMO infrastructure to be around for the longer distance travel. For at home overnight charging, the 3.3 kw charger is more than adequate without the higher price point of the 6.6 kw charger which would only cut about 2 hours from the overnight charge to full scenario. But our fragmented utility structure is certainly challenging and threatening widespread EV adoption, IMO.

CHAdeMo would have to be pretty ubiquitous to compensate to for the half-speed, handicapped LEAF 2011-2012 charger. I mean, Tyson's Corner, Silver Spring, Potomac Mills, Lakeforest Mall, Marlow Heights, Manassas, and those are just the Washington, D.C. area. And how practical is CHAdeMO if we're being told thou shalt not use thine CHAdeMO port more than the count of 1 in a singular solar cycle; 2 is right out!.

And in case it wasn't clear... Never mind, I hope you never learn what it's like to have only 3 bars when you get to work knowing you have 36 miles to get home. I hope you never ever know what that's like!

I want 90 minutes of blood from Nissan for not making that 3 hour charge into 90 minutes with the 240VAC 28A charge that the Aerovironment can provide and the other 90 minutes of blood from my work place for not letting me pay them to charge there!

:evil:

And putting the LEAF charger in perspective:

Tesla Roadster: 3.5 hours 0%-100% (And yes, my home EVSE could charge it that fast)
Volt: 4 hours 0%-100%
Focus Electric: 4 hours 0%-100%
Smart ED: 5? hours 0%-100% (Need to check with Mindy or Wallace)
Tesla Model S Signature (300 mi): 6.5 hours 0%-100%
Nissan LEAF: 7.5 hours 0%-100%

Now, the Volt, LEAF and Smart ED all have 3.3kW chargers but the Volt and Smart packs are about 16kWh and we know the LEAF has 24kWh so it takes much longer to charge. The Tesla typically wouldn't need to go from 0%-100% because that represents a lot of driving in one day. So I should think the average commuter could fit even the 300 mi, 95kWh Tesla Model S pack in the 4 hour window of Dominion's Super Off Peak rate.

And again, it's a) the inconvenient charge time computer b) the 4 hour charge window being breached c) the emergency charge being only L2 at the moment and that being ham-strung by a mere 11 or so miles per hour of charging at even my conservative 4.0 mi/kWh driving style. It's all documented with use cases in my recent post to which I linked above and I understand that many folks could just shout so what, it's not my problem but it is mine and I live the issue daily so for me it's salient, real and quite urgent.

A shame the Focus doesn't have any trunk space. ;)

TimeHorse said:
...how practical is CHAdeMO if we're being told thou shalt not use thine CHAdeMO port more than the count of 1 in a singular solar cycle; 2 is right out!

We were told by the Nissan North American Quality Assurance guy that you can charge as much as you want if the battery temperature gauge in not in the red.

Of course, the hotter the battery, the more wear on it (hence, reduced overall life span).

TonyWilliams said:
TimeHorse said:
...how practical is CHAdeMO if we're being told thou shalt not use thine CHAdeMO port more than the count of 1 in a singular solar cycle; 2 is right out!

We were told by the Nissan North American Quality Assurance guy that you can charge as much as you want if the battery temperature gauge in not in the red.

Of course, the hotter the battery, the more wear on it (hence, reduced overall life span).

Well, then I suppose I could just change my rant to the LEAF SV needs a 6.6kW charger.

Glad at least I bought the SL. But man those 350Green CHAdeMOs can't get here a moment too soon!!!!!

TimeHorse said:
TonyWilliams said:
TimeHorse said:

Well, then I suppose I could just change my rant to the LEAF SV needs a 6.6kW charger.

Glad at least I bought the SL. But man those 350Green CHAdeMOs can't get here a moment too soon!!!!!

nice!! did you see EVOasis starting up in SD/SC area soon. the charging options are starting to proliferate as fast as the Leaf sightings are~

Since I started this thread I'm seeing a couple manufacturers coming out with portable fast chargers that can run on single phase power. I also see most of them redesigned the CHAdeMO connector to make it less gun like and cheaper I'm sure. The Yazaki cable was just crazy expensive.

I'm hoping by the time the 2013 Leafs hit the streets I will be able to buy or construct an external charger that do atlieast 6.6 Kwh or greater for my 2011.

Would something like this work?
http://www.metricmind.com/leaf/main.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The idea of upgrade was to give you freedom to charge at 11...13kW anywhere
where you can find standard 240VAC outlet, no need for any EVSE.

That means friend's houses, job sites, RV parks along long journey, etc.
No external hardware to carry, just a 240VAC power cord.

Victor

Back