I realize this is yet another thread on the same topic, but I thought I'd share some info about the fix and hopefully make it easier on other people. I used these steps as a starting point: https://darelldd.smugmug.com/Automotive ... /i-rcsHp8p
Here's my take on these steps, slide by slide. I've added BOLD to the actual steps where you do something. The whole process is five steps, really.
- I bought 25 of these diodes at Amazon for $6.00. Seemed like the easiest way to get the right thing.
- This image means nothing for repairing your Leaf. Skip it.
- So you know what's broken.
- This step is easy enough. A flat-head screwdriver helps. Or strong fingernails.
- This was the hardest part for me. (Still not that hard.) I had trouble finding the little clip on the bottom to press so I could pull it out.
- Nothing to do here.
- Removing the overflow tank was completely unnecessary for me...
- ... because I had no need to release this connector.
- This step is also unnecessary.
- Just unscrew these four screws to get to the wire. Since I hadn't removed the connector, mine didn't come this far out. Not an issue; you don't need to pull it out this far just to do the soldering.
- Find the right wire.
- That's the one.
- Put that diode where it belongs
That's it! Step 1 is buy the thing, step 4 is remove the cover, step 5 is disconnecting the orange connector, step 10 is unscrewing so you can pull out the unit to get to the wire. Step 13 is adding the diode.
And voila, it works. (Step 14, put it all back together.)
Thank you all for your help. So glad to have this issue behind me without costing three grand to do it.