Damage to car.. Battery confusion for paint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmsan

Hi,

Unfortunately my car(2015 leased leaf) got into an accident which damage the front bumper and fender. It needs to be replaced. I have researched a lot and can't get a definite answer to what needs to be done. :? :? :?

As per the estimation from body repair shop, bumper and fender needs to be replaced. Since most nissan dealerships don't have their own collision centers, it has become really complicated when the manuals says to remove and install battery for painting.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf
" In the event of an accident that requires body repair and painting, the vehicle should be delivered to a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer to have the Li-ion battery pack and high voltage parts such as the inverter, including the wiring harness, removed prior to painting. Li-ion battery packs exposed to heat in the paint booth will experience capacity loss. Damaged Liion battery packs may also pose safety risks to untrained mechanics and repair personnel."

Lot of guys here said, that they didn't remove the battery by keeping the paint room temperature below 104F. Someone said 97F. Manual says 140F which is dated back to 2010. :roll: :roll:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/im...EV_DEALER_2011-Nissan-LEAF-Body_and_Paint.pdf

What should i do?
Should i go ahead with battery kept inside and ask for the paint room temperature to be decreased OR
Should i go through the process of removing the battery, fixing it and then installing it back again

Also for all those guys who kept their battery inside for paint job, could you tell me if they had any issues while returning yourcar ? Or did you see any battery degradation after the paint job?

I am sorry. I know its a lot of questions. :?
Thanks for all the help.

Leave it in. Manual is correct (and still current AFAIK) at 140 degrees. Confirm with paint shop that their oven doesn't get that high. Job done.

The paint shop I went to said their oven doesn't go higher than 105 degrees and cycles on-and-off during the curing process.

I, too, have been involved in a slow speed fender bender and would like a recommendation of where to have the body work repair done in the greater San Jose area. The damage is a small dent and crack near the front license plate. Thanks for your help.

Becky50 said:
I, too, have been involved in a slow speed fender bender and would like a recommendation of where to have the body work repair done in the greater San Jose area. The damage is a small dent and crack near the front license plate. Thanks for your help.
I would remove ( or have removed ) the front bumper, then take that in for repairs and painting.

Hello,
I have had repairs done twice on my leaf.
The first hit damaged the rear body section and hatch. Since the body had to go into the oven / booth insurance paid to have the battery removed.
The second hit damaged the bumper cover and energy absorbent materials. In this case the parts were painted while off the car so technically "body work" was not done. They did a great job and the color match is as close as before (there is always a color shift with flexative added to the cover paint).

Don

Stanton said:
ElectricEddy said:
I would remove ( or have removed ) the front bumper, then take that in for repairs and painting.

That's what I did for my rear bumper.

Sent you a PM Stanton. Did you do this work yourself (removal of the rear bumper)?

Back