The Speeding Ticket Thread - Confess Your Sins

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidV

84 mph per LIDAR the other day. :oops: :shock: :oops:

I guess a testament to how smooth and quiet the Leaf is.

-- DavidV :D

Not that I would endorse this type of behavior, but you are a credit to the Nissan Leaf's image. Rock on!

Those Leaf drivers that like to drive slow the HOV holding up traffic should learn from this post. See.... the Leaf CAN go faster than 55.

ebill3 said:
Just curious - what does 84 MPH cost in dollars?i

I don't know where DavidV lives; but....in California, if the speed limit was 65, and he was timed @ 84, it would probably be around $500 or so.

Disclosure: I've had one speeding ticket in the past 50yrs of driving----clocked @ 37 in a 30mph zone, coasting down a hill in a residential neighborhood, about 10yrs ago. That cost me $278 plus driving school. Sort of chickens$$t, I thought. :roll:

TonyWilliams said:
DavidV said:
84 mph per LIDAR the other day. :oops: :shock: :oops:

I guess a testament to how smooth and quiet the Leaf is.

Welcome to the 84mph club!!! I haven't gotten the bill in the mail yet.

Me neither - funny that we were clocked at the exact same number. As an aside, that was one confused looking CHP officer.

derkraut said:
Disclosure: I've had one speeding ticket in the past 50yrs of driving----clocked @ 37 in a 30mph zone, coasting down a hill in a residential neighborhood, about 10yrs ago.

And even that wouldn't have happened if you had your LEAF back then. You would have been going slower due to regen. :)

My answer is to always drive in ECO mode on the local roads, to foil this revenue generation tactic.

As cities and states get more broke by the day, they are going to step up enforcement. It is much too easy to speed in the Leaf's D mode.

pjoseph said:
My answer is to always drive in ECO mode on the local roads, to foil this revenue generation tactic.

As cities and states get more broke by the day, they are going to step up enforcement. It is much too easy to speed in the Leaf's D mode.

And watch out whenever you do drive in D. I almost always drive in ECO but last night I shifted into D so I could get the cabin heated up faster and wow, what a difference!

shay said:
What is LIDAR?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR_speed_gun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essentially the same as a radar gun, but using lasers. Much harder to detect since there's not much scatter.

Boomer23 said:
derkraut said:
Disclosure: I've had one speeding ticket in the past 50yrs of driving----clocked @ 37 in a 30mph zone, coasting down a hill in a residential neighborhood, about 10yrs ago.

And even that wouldn't have happened if you had your LEAF back then. You would have been going slower due to regen. :)

Hey! You're right....I didn't think of that. :mrgreen:

My friend with a Prius says he can "blow away an Audi" when he drives in PWR mode. I laughed and asked "what kind of Audi?"

I'm sure the Leaf can blow his Prius away in street racing.

From the movie "Horrible Bosses":

first guy "I like to street race"
second guy "You drive a Prius !"
first guy "I lose a lot"

Can someone point me to some stats on performance, eg 0-60 time, 1/4 mile etc? The car is plenty fast for me but I don't really know how it compares. But what do I know I've accidentally out-accelerated porsches in my minivan without even trying as they go through some labored ritual of gear-shifting and loud buzzy sounding exhaust :lol:

Clearly one thing that is different is the acceleration is continuous, it pushes you back in the seat and keeps you there, none of those annoying little lunges forward at shift points.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Can someone point me to some stats on performance, eg 0-60 time, 1/4 mile etc?
One source I found : http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/22/unofficial-nissan-leaf-does-0-60-mph-in-7-seconds-tops-out-at/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple of youtube videos show 0 to 60 in about 9 seconds.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Can someone point me to some stats on performance, eg 0-60 time, 1/4 mile etc? The car is plenty fast for me but I don't really know how it compares. But what do I know I've accidentally out-accelerated porsches in my minivan without even trying as they go through some labored ritual of gear-shifting and loud buzzy sounding exhaust :lol:

Clearly one thing that is different is the acceleration is continuous, it pushes you back in the seat and keeps you there, none of those annoying little lunges forward at shift points.
Here's some:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1108_2011_chevrolet_volt_vs_2011_nissan_leaf_vs_2011_toyota_prius_comparison/viewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Road_tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also google Car & Driver or Consumer Reports for their test results.

Back