So while I was making/installing the vps auto-disable
, I took the opportunity to check out the telematics module since it's behind the glove box as well.
I pulled the SIM out and put it in a test phone. Unfortunately it wasn't as cool as I thought it might be. I had all kinds of ideas, but it's a bit more complex than I thought.
So the SIM registered fine.
I knew the system used text messages and data. So I logged onto carwings and requested an update.
A few seconds later the phone gets a text message:
Cool! So I sent another request to start charging. A few seconds later another message comes in, but it says the same thing.
So apparently they are simply using SMS to trigger the system to connect to the telematics server, and all the real 'talking" is done over the data connection.
I tried to make a call with it and surprisingly, it went through. But I didn't answer the call, I was worried it might flag my account, as if I haven't done enough already to do so.
The "phone" number is odd. I was expecting a standard phone number, but it's not as far as I can tell. It came up with a 15 digit number. I tried to send it a text, but my sprint phone said that the number wasn't valid.
So that was about it. I didn't try much else, I just put it back hoping I didn't screw anything up.. So far it seems fine.