garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: I Got the car on Wednesday. Failed me on Friday.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 pm

The much-earlier-mentioned Nav-Maps problem (incomplete and older data) is NOT a Navteq problem, I believe.

If you use Navteq's online "report map errors" function (NAVTEQ Map Reporter) to check THEIR latest maps and you will probably find your "problem" area is OK.

APPARENTLY the company that takes/buys the Navteq map data processes it into their own propritary format, and "prunes" some of the data to reduce the size of this data. They are apparently FAR behind, or some such, not to mention not having all the streets.

Apparently Nissan and Toyota use "similar" suppliers, since they both seem to have similar problems.

I think Google uses Navteq map data, doesn't it?
Last edited by garygid on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Well, today was delivery day for my Leaf. As you can tell from the pictures, I came home with a 2010 Nissan Altima courtesy car. The folks at my Nissan dealership were fantastic. My salesman was great. He showed me all the functions of the car. We started in the trunk and he showed me all the tools and whatnot, including the wrench required to manually release the parking brake in the event of a complete power failure. I did not know that that existed...must have missed it on this forum. Anyhow from there we got into the car, enabled carwings and went throught all the screens and connected my phone with bluetooth and tested it. Very throuough and professional. We put the car into drive, reverse, park, drive and eco, and tested the parking brake, and all was working just fine although we never even moved the car an inch. We were doing all this while we waited for the paperwork to get completed inside and for anohter customer to finish up with their paperwork. I went back inside the building to sign all the papers and everything went very smooth and professional. I would definitely recommend this dealership to anybody. The whole thing probably would have been the fastest transaction I've ever had for a car if it were not for the fact that when I got back to the car to drive away after my salesman put the registration sticker in the windshield the car would not get to "ready". When I got into the car, I put my foot on the brake and pressed the button and the dash lit, but I never got a "ready" green arrow, and the dash blinked that I should push the brake when I press start. Ok, perhaps I did not press hard enough. I tried again...nothing. Perhaps I needed to turn it off first, so I did that and then tried to restart. Same problem. Then I noticed that not only was there an indicator for pushing the brake and the button, there was an error light on the dash. I tried a couple of other options and then gave up and went to find my salesman. I found him and he was shocked I was still at the dealership. I told him the car was dead, and he looked at me in amazement and I handed him the key and we walked out to the car. He went through all the same steps as I did, and then we called the service guy to come over. The service guy was great. He went through the same steps as we did and then started asking questions about what we saw and what we were doing prior to this happening. We looked up in the manual what possible things the light can mean, and then he did a quick inspection of the obvious things. At that point my salesman started working with the service bay to get me a loaner, and I spoke with the service guy. I mentioned this thread about a possible air conditioning link, and he said he would keep that in mind. The car never moved, and obviously has not ever had the AC setup to precool the car, but when we were in the car going over the dash, the a/c was running. It was a bit cold for my taste, but the salesman said he was hot in the car. I don't know if it has anything to do with the car not running, but it is the only thing we did to it.

So for me it was...I got the car at 5pm and it failed me at 5:30pm.

Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

davewill

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Bummer!!!! This appears to be a much more common problem than I would have guessed. Did we not notice it before strictly because it was winter? It doesn't seem possible.

BTW, how clever of you to score one of those right hand drive Leafs! ;)
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

azdre

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm feeling quite fortunate that I got to spend 8 full days with my LEAF before the failure. :geek:

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Part of me wants to test mine now, part doesn't... What wold I do? Just crank the A/C real cold and let it run?
Last edited by GeekEV on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:57 pm

So ... the LEAF needs a hot-weather package option :lol:

(Sorry for your troubles ... but was not able to resist ...)
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

azdre

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Maybe run the A/C with the car not in full-start mode. Or turn on the AC remotely via the website, and 25 minutes later try to move it. 2 of the times it took about a minute of sitting in the car fiddling with the radio before it failed. For everyone, this has been happening when it's pretty warm outside, so that might be a kicker.

jkyu99
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5139

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 pm

palmermd wrote:So for me it was...I got the car at 5pm and it failed me at 5:30pm.
You win. A new world's record. :( You do have incredible luck. I have followed you from the Aptera forum where we both suffered through that mess. I have a May due date. Geez, I was worried I might not even get a delivery in May, but I think this is worse. My sympathies.

Tech support's usual answer is to unplug the computer and then plug it back in. We need something like that for the Leaf. A master reboot, somewhere under the hood. Something to avoid having to take it to a service department for a re-boot.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 pm

azdre wrote:Maybe run the A/C with the car not in full-start mode. Or turn on the AC remotely via the website, and 25 minutes later try to move it. 2 of the times it took about a minute of sitting in the car fiddling with the radio before it failed. For everyone, this has been happening when it's pretty warm outside, so that might be a kicker.

For me we fully started the car and were just sitting in park. We were in a partially shaded garage and it really was not that warm. We probably sat in the car 15 minutes "playing" with the dashboard while the a/c was running. Carwings was never involved remotely (we setup the carwings account on the touchpanel in the vehicle). In fact, I need to set up my phone so I can "see" what is happening with my car. Is there anything I can see from here with the iphone app?
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 pm

I debated leaving mine at the dealership tonight for different reasons..more for the fact that with Nissan's delays/rotten delivery information, and my dash still showing week of April 8th, I only just got my Level2 EVProject charger installed today.. i'm staring down at a week before I can use it and Level1 is going to barely suffice...almost decided to leave it in the showroom until my EVSE was hot.

The other issue was more minor. Carwings wouldn't register. got a 'no service'. Tried backing it into the open for a clear GSM signal. no dice and they couldn't fix it. Exactly the same issue Randy had so I'm either needing a firmware update or an account re-do. we'll see.

Sad to hear you got an Altima, Palmer. I think they owe you free 3, 4, and 5yr battery checks :)
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”