Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
derkraut said:
5. Moisture in the tail light lens

OK, this one is complete and utter FUD, even if your other complaints have some legitimacy. There is some moisture that gets under the lip of the tail lamp housing. This lip is external to the housing itself....there is NO moisture getting into the housing.

derkraut said:
I just knew lots of folks would jump all over me for having the audacity to question the reliability/dependability of the Leaf.

I don't think it unfair to keep track of reported issues. However - a number of the issues that have been reported seem to be "binary" type issues. That is, I think a number of the issues you bring up can be fixed and made 100% with some type of software or hardware update. It's becoming the nature of the beast - as cars, with the LEAF in particular, becoming more and more digital, the fixes are often not design defects, but rather manufacturing or implementation defects that can be changed from not working at all to 100% fixed with a single update, resulting in a perfect car after the update.

For us old timers, it's kind of weird because we are used to fighting mechanical design defects. I remember the old Malibu I had in which they used metal too soft to make the camshaft. As the lobes wore, I'd replace the rods with ones just slightly longer to keep the valves working. Every 6-12 months I'd have to replace the rods with slightly longer ones to keep the thing going and not have to spend thousands to replace the CAM. Now with cars like the LEAF - the NAV doesn't have the right maps? (It can be) Solved with a single update. Not getting proper signal to the computers? (It can be) Solved with a single update.

The OP's issue? While currently fatal - it could be as simple as a single bent pin in a wiring harness and once identified and fixed - the car is 100%. A little strange for some of our experiences.

So even if you do have some issues, it doesn't mean that they can't easily be solved and the car returned to 100%. (Of course - it also doesn't mean that nothing can go wrong either :geek: )

Stoaty said:
Yes, you have read about those things. So what? I don't care about 1-3, 6 and 7. That leaves 4 and 5 as possible minor issues. If those things bother you, don't buy the car. Generation One is bound to have some kinks in it. That doesn't affect the general usability of the car. I will be taking delivery in about 3 weeks. Nothing I have read in the forums has affected my enthusiasm for this first mass produced electric car.

#5 is normal. It isn't inside the actual lens, but outside the main one. It does no harm.

I do feel for others that may have had issues. But I will chime in an say I was pretty early in, got my car in early Jan. And we have had no problems of any note at all.

From the list provided in this the only thing I would say is there are no charge points in the Nav system. And while annoying and surprising is a known and much talked about issue that has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with lack of planning from Navteq and Nissan.

So for me, hardware is fine. No worries at all at 2000 miles.

See....now, after reading all your comments so far, I feel a lot better; I really do. You know, I'm from the "old school". I can't help it---I just am. I am very wary of lots of things, having been ripped off so many times.

I HATE gas guzzlers. That's why I ordered the Leaf. I LOVE my 2006 Prius, which has rewarded me with 49.3mpg over 48K+ miles, and no problems whatsoever. The Prius is my "long-range" car; and the Leaf is intended to be my "local transportation".

So, thanks for putting up with my rantings. I'll try to think more positively from now on. :)

Pardon the off-topic post, but I have to say that our car is great, my wife and I really like it, even more so than we expected. It's like driving a car from the future, or maybe like driving a cellphone. Maybe it's the same thing.

DeaneG said:
Pardon the off-topic post, but I have to say that our car is great, my wife and I really like it, even more so than we expected. It's like driving a car from the future, or maybe like driving a cellphone. Maybe it's the same thing.

I don't think that's off-topic. Besides, I like your analogy. When I got my first cellphone in 1985 (pictured below...I still have it), service was spotty; reception was fair to poor; and I recall that the voicemail didn't work so well. Same sort of issues when we got cable TV in 1981. Point is....we can't expect something new to be perfect.

184962_10150112542429844_704969843_6240255_7136505_n.jpg
183422_10150112542504844_704969843_6240256_5767717_n.jpg

derkraut said:
I just knew lots of folks would jump all over me for having the audacity to question the reliability/dependability of the Leaf. I guess if I wanted to spend a couple days going thru all the posts, I could compile a list of reported problems; but I doubt that it would accomplish anything.
If your concern is reliability/dependability, then the below list of issues is not the right list. You need to distinguish between minor issues that doesn't affect your ability to use the car and serious issues. I think that is where you are having problems.

1. Carwings not working properly/conflicting with EVSE station. Charging issues, timer malfunctioning.

Carwings is totally extraneous. Doesn't matter to the normal operation of the car at all. While there are charging issues, they are all related to the charger (specifically Blink), not Leaf.

2. Navigation map errors/out of date

Navteq issue.

3. Stranded on the road because indicated remaining range went from 16mi to dead within a couple miles?

This is a serious issue. It has happenned to 3 people so far (about 2% of the owners).

4. Cold air from the heater for an inordinate period of time before heat comes on

Minor issue. This will happen in most EVs. Work around is to start the heater a few minutes before leaving.

Not sure this is an issue - reported by less than 1%.

6. Reservation/RAQ/Delivery sequence is a joke?

What has it got to do with the reliability/dependability of Leaf ?

7. Several owners complain about steering issues

User preference. I see little difference between Leaf and my old maxima (or any number of popular Japanese cars).

Flame on.....my 75yr old skin is pretty thick. :)

Flame - what flame ? Just trying reorganize your thoughts ....

So, who are these "majority" of owners reporting reliability/dependability issues ? I see serious issues reported by less than 5% of owners, including ones you have not mentioned.

evnow said:
derkraut said:
I just knew lots of folks would jump all over me for having the audacity to question the reliability/dependability of the Leaf. I guess if I wanted to spend a couple days going thru all the posts, I could compile a list of reported problems; but I doubt that it would accomplish anything.
If your concern is reliability/dependability, then the below list of issues is not the right list. You need to distinguish between minor issues that doesn't affect your ability to use the car and serious issues. I think that is where you are having problems.

1. Carwings not working properly/conflicting with EVSE station. Charging issues, timer malfunctioning.

Carwings is totally extraneous. Doesn't matter to the normal operation of the car at all. While there are charging issues, they are all related to the charger (specifically Blink), not Leaf.

2. Navigation map errors/out of date

Navteq issue.

3. Stranded on the road because indicated remaining range went from 16mi to dead within a couple miles?

This is a serious issue. It has happenned to 3 people so far (about 2% of the owners).

4. Cold air from the heater for an inordinate period of time before heat comes on

Minor issue. This will happen in most EVs. Work around is to start the heater a few minutes before leaving.

Not sure this is an issue - reported by less than 1%.

6. Reservation/RAQ/Delivery sequence is a joke?

What has it got to do with the reliability/dependability of Leaf ?

7. Several owners complain about steering issues

User preference. I see little difference between Leaf and my old maxima (or any number of popular Japanese cars).

Flame on.....my 75yr old skin is pretty thick. :)

Flame - what flame ? Just trying reorganize your thoughts ....

So, who are these "majority" of owners reporting reliability/dependability issues ? I see serious issues reported by less than 5% of owners, including ones you have not mentioned.

To EVNOW and others on this forum:
I sincerely apologize for my erroneous original post. It was based more on emotion than fact. :oops:

derkraut said:
I sincerely apologize for my erroneous original post. It was based more on emotion than fact. :oops:
No worries. I just wanted to address each issue to set the record straight for people who might be browing the thread ...

derkraut said:
Cool by me. We all tend to go a little overboard with this obsession of ours. By all means if there are problems that worry you, you should bring them up.

Just be glad you didn't buy a Jetta!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Volkswagen of America is recalling about 71,000 of the German automaker's new 2011 Jetta sedans for a wiring problem that could cause the car to turn off when the horn is used.

Under certain rare circumstances using the horn could cause a short circuit that would, in turn, cause an electronic part called a converter box to disconnect from the car's power supply, a VW spokeswoman said

The converter box supplies power to various components, including the headlights, wipers and the engine controller. Cutting off power to the engine controller shuts off the car's engine.

VW is not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this problem, Volkswagen of America said in an announcement. The recall affects Jettas built between March 2010 and March 2011.

mwalsh said:
I don't think that's off-topic. Besides, I like your analogy. When I got my first cellphone in 1985 (pictured below...I still have it), service was spotty; reception was fair to poor; and I recall that the voicemail didn't work so well. Same sort of issues when we got cable TV in 1981. Point is....we can't expect something new to be perfect.

I guess you can use it to chock your wheels when your Leaf suddenly dies and you cant put it into park or use the electric parking brake! :D

(just teasing!)

-Phil

derkraut - I can understand your trepidation. Buying a car is not an inexpensive proposition, and with new technology comes (potentially) new concerns. As you stated, the LEAF will be an addition to (rather than a replacement for) you. If there is an issue with the LEAF, you will still have another vehicle. On the other hand, if something happens to your Prius (Toyota has not been immune to their own issues of late), you will still have the LEAF. :)

I picked up the car yesterday’s afternoon.
The salesman told me the factory overcharged the A/C. The car went to a fail-safe mode as a result. The technician said there is nothing wrong with the car and assures me that nothing will happen to it again. No one mentions the engineer from Nissan.
Here are my observations, after driving the car:
1 There is a hissing sound arises when accelerating and decelerating. It is not persistent though. Drivers who are familiar with Prius at low speeds may know what I’m talking about.
2 Growling sound when I made a left turn. I do not know its source. The steering wheel does not have the same original feel.
3 When charging the car at home, humming sound comes from under the hood, like small fan sound. Charging was so quite before sending it to the dealership.
4. The salesman told me how I should not drive more than 60/65 mph on the hwy.
Other than that the car seems responsive and drives just fine.
The question to those who have the car longer than I do: are any of these sounds familiar or am I worrying too much after what has happened to my car?

leafwing said:
The question to those who have the car longer than I do: are any of these sounds familiar or am I worrying too much after what has happened to my car?

I'm not familiar with any of symptoms you describe on my car. But perhaps you are overthinking what you are hearing/feeling? I know I tend to do that when I get my cars back from the shop and they don't feel/sound the same (which actually happened quite frequently).

Ignore the salesman. Providing you don't need to conserve for range, there is no reason you shouldn't drive the LEAF at any speed you please (local laws notwithstanding).

leafwing said:
I picked up the car yesterday’s afternoon.
The salesman told me the factory overcharged the A/C. The car went to a fail-safe mode as a result. The technician said there is nothing wrong with the car and assures me that nothing will happen to it again. No one mentions the engineer from Nissan.
Here are my observations, after driving the car:
1 There is a hissing sound arises when accelerating and decelerating. It is not persistent though. Drivers who are familiar with Prius at low speeds may know what I’m talking about.
2 Growling sound when I made a left turn. I do not know its source. The steering wheel does not have the same original feel.
3 When charging the car at home, humming sound comes from under the hood, like small fan sound. Charging was so quite before sending it to the dealership.

I find the low speed pedestrian warning to sound like a weird hissing whoosing sound at low speeds. I only hear it starting and stopping. Toggle it on/off and see if that makes a difference.

Back