Charing dock tax credit in 2010 (when installed) no Leaf yet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimStapleton

If correct, I was one of the first charing docks installed in the Seattle area - back in November was the actual instal. I was the first inspection - had eight people at my house to check it out, and to check each other out - AV people and local electrician)

My delivery has been pushed to April, so I know I'll get the tax credit for 2011.

The challenge - can I get a tax credit for the charging dock that I purchased in November 2010? If yes, need IRS tax supporting doucments.

Nissan must hate me - as my delivery has been pushed. At first I thought it was related to the color (white) and options I ordered. No idea.

Looking forward to responses.

Thank you.

You have receipts for the hardware and labor, and the inspection sign-off, all with 2010 dates. So, it was "ready to use" in 2010. So, filing for a tax credit on your 2010 tax forms is your "proper" option.

If AV did the install, and you paid for it in 2010, can you get AV to send you a receipt? If you didn't actually pay for it in 2010, even if it was installed in 2010, I don't believe you can get the 2010 50% tax credit - you'd be down to the 2011 30% tax credit if you pay for it in 2011.

That at least is my understanding of taxes.

garygid said:
With PV systems and the 2009 tax credit, the "In Service" date was critical, the actual payment dates were not.

I didn't know that - that would be excellent news for the OP.

If you get AV to install the EVSE - does your Dashboard get any paperwork indicating that it has been installed and the price - anything other then the original quote? Anyone with an AV EVSE know?

1. Do you have a printout of the AV bid that you accepted? Get something that shows the charges for the entire job.

2. There should be an original work permit posted near the install location, with a date and inspector signoff on it. If not, get a copy from the installer or ask the local building department for a signed, dated copy.

JimStapleton said:
The challenge - can I get a tax credit for the charging dock that I purchased in November 2010? If yes, need IRS tax supporting doucments.
You don't need any supporting documents when you file your 2010 income tax forms, you just have to fill out Form 8911. Like all income tax deductions and credits, you need to retain your paperwork in case you are audited. As Gary says, something that shows how much you paid, and a signed and dated city inspection report.

Thank you for all the replies - great info. It will help me, and I hope it will help others with the same issue.

Yes, I had it installed, and paid for in 2010.
I have receipts for the purchase/instal, and the local city inspection - all with 2010 dates.

Just wish I had a Leaf with a 2010 delivery date and I wouldn't have this issue.

Just got my refund from the IRS so I guess they accepted my claim for the charging dock...now if only I had something to plug it into. Good thing the GEM car is keeping the 110 plug next to it busy.

The IRS will accept whatever you put on your forms, initially. If it triggers an audit they will contact you later-- up to 3 years later but likely not that far out. No one on this forum will be able to confirm anything that generalizes since the time lag for a possible audit is considerable.

My big question for which I cannot find an answer is how long do I have to own the Leaf to qualify for the tax credit? (Not that I am planning on selling, but I am intrigued with how the IRS will operationalize "put into service". If I buy it in April and sell in January 2012 do I qualify for the tax credit? Again-- Nissan, if you are reading this I'm just curious.....

Jim, don't know if you already know this, but you'll also need to fill out form 8911 for this credit.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

garygid said:
With PV systems and the 2009 tax credit, the "In Service" date was critical, the actual payment dates were not.
This is one of the conditions on IRS Form 8911: "You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year." I have no clue whether having an EVSE installed is the same as "placing an EVSE 'in service'" or not. I suspect that it is, because the form also mentions "business use" which I suppose could mean, for example, if I open up an "EV filling station" and installing an EVSE for others to use for a fee, I would qualify for the credit. (Albeit I'd probably have to do some kind of depreciation for the equipment.) I wouldn't actually have to have an EV myself to qualify for the credit.

MaryC said:
Just got my refund from the IRS so I guess they accepted my claim for the charging dock...now if only I had something to plug it into. Good thing the GEM car is keeping the 110 plug next to it busy.
OK, there we go.

Just did my taxes and got exactly $0 credit for my charging dock. Thank you alternative minimum tax. I'd be nice if Nissan was upfront about getting a "50% tax credit". Now I have a fully paid for charging dock since December and no Leaf to plug in and my delivery is now "pending", again. Like Kermit said, "it ain't easy being green", but who thought it'd be so frustrating and expensive?

DWrath said:
Just did my taxes and got exactly $0 credit for my charging dock. Thank you alternative minimum tax. I'd be nice if Nissan was upfront about getting a "50% tax credit". Now I have a fully paid for charging dock since December and no Leaf to plug in and my delivery is now "pending", again. Like Kermit said, "it ain't easy being green", but who thought it'd be so frustrating and expensive?
I am very sure they said "zero to 50%" they have that wording on every other incentive they describe on their site. you can't expect them to dispense tax advice.

Actually the wording is "may offset the price by 50% up to $2000". Guess I need to also look into whether I'll be getting a tax credit of $7500 back for the Leaf, or whether somewhere it says "may". Some parts of the country are getting their charges free with the EV project and some are getting an additional $5000 back from their state for their Leaf, some are getting their cars ahead of those who ordered before them, and yet some are paying full price, getting placed on pending, and second thinking their Leaf decision.

DWrath said:
Actually the wording is "may offset the price by 50% up to $2000". Guess I need to also look into whether I'll be getting a tax credit of $7500 back for the Leaf, or whether somewhere it says "may".
You should indeed if you're not 100% sure. It says $0-$7500. Nobody will take responsibility for your tax situation for you.

Just ran the numbers for the $7500 tax credit on IRS Form 8936, no problem getting the full credit for 2010 IF I had bought the car in 2010. Hopefully tax laws for the Leaf credit will not change for 2011 tax year. The credit for the electric vehicle is much less restrictive than the credit for the charger.

This is great: based on what I've seen here, I'm going to buy/install an EVSE later this year regardless of whether I get my Leaf (this year) to take the credit on my 2011 taxes. There's no guarantee there will be ANY tax credit for 2012.

DWrath said:
Just did my taxes and got exactly $0 credit for my charging dock.
Me too. I have the EVSE and no car. I paid full price as a result.

This is not NIssan's problem, this is the US Government in action again.

I do my own taxes, so it was a hassle to work through all the extra steps, extra form, and then just have the AMT take it all away. I wasn't too surprised, same thing happened to me when hybrids first became available and they offered government incentives and then when I filled out the paperwork, they took it all away again.

I wouldn't call it a stupid system, just a vicious, malicious, bait and switch by my own government.

1. the desire to do harm or mischief
2. evil intent
3. (Law) Law the state of mind with which an act is committed and from which the intent to do wrong may be inferred

Back