Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone

I stumbled across this board as I was searching for info on the Leaf in San Antonio. Reading through everyone's posts I'm getting the impression my $99 reservation alone, is not enough to ensure I get my Leaf as soon as possible. I thought I would be contacted by Nissan and I wouldn't need to proactively check dealers for their inventory. Would someone be willing to bring me up to speed on what I need to do, if I can speed up the process and maybe give me some general tips on what I can do to get my Leaf faster and more easily?

Thanks
Cris

Welcome Cris. Sorry, but the dealers have no inventory. The only way you can get a car is by ordering through the Nissan login-website. After you get a RAQ - Request a Quote - then you can order a car, but most likely it will take 4-7 months after you order. After they start making cars in Tennesee in 2012 dealers will have inventory and you will be able to get a car quickly. That's my understanding, someone can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Welcome Cris. Did you already make the $99 reservation via the Nissan website, and if so, when (date and time) ? And if so, did you receive an email that tells you what month you could expect to be able to place a RAQ ?

AndyH said:
Welcome aboard Josh! You're just in time - the fun's just getting started. ;)

Hopefully there's room for one more?!

I'm in Seabrook and got my order in on Oct 21st. However, I am still wrangling with AV over my EVSE quote of almost $5500. Yes, that is not a misprint. Everyone I've talked to over there says, "That's the highest I've ever seen!" And I say "Thanks, is there a prize for that, like a free install?" They are currently reworking the numbers for me so we'll see. I got the call from them about the "cash and carry" option today. They can ship a 15' EVSE in 3 days for $721 + $50 shipping. The 25' are on 6 week backorder. So, I am leaning now toward eVgo or the self-install option with AV or one of the other manufacturers.

Anyway, good to see Texas represented here. I'll be down in Pearland for the drive event on Sat if anyone else is going.

The fun's just getting started, indeed!

Jimmy

There seem to be a large number of people here who have chosen to hire their own electrician to do the install. Some are buying the AV unit, others are holding out for the others to become available and the competition to drive the prices down.

Quite a few here have even run their own conduit and pulled their own wires so that the hired electrician only needs to connect the wires on both ends.

Did they tell you why your quote was so high? It sounds like that is enough to upgrade your electrical service, install a new main breaker panel and run conduit from your panel to your EVSE location - which must obviously be in a different state then the panel.

Welcome aboard.

Im NEW on here too. Im Doc Alexander, chiropractor, in Houston. My SL LEAF was ordered on 12/17/10 at Baker Nissan South. I am with eVgo, because they took my $3000 AV assessment and will do the install for $232. Two Hundred Thirty Two Dollars. These eVgo network guys even give you the $99 assessment fee back. I signed up !! I get free juice all over town, they have DC Fast chargers everywhere, and I will be at the Drive Tour SAT at 1pm.

San Antonio folks - CPS has EVSE rebates for Level 2 devices installed after September 16, 2010:

http://www.cpsenergy.com/Residential/Rebates/EV_Charging_Stations/index.asp
For a limited time, CPS Energy and the City of San Antonio are offering a rebate of 50% of the actual cost of the EV charger and installation, up to a maximum of a $1,000.00 for any single-family home. A maximum of 50 rebates are available.

Rebates will be made on a “first come, first served” basis until the funds for the program are exhausted. The following rules as well as additional guidelines included on the application must be met by rebate participants:

- Electric vehicle charger must be a Level II, 240 volt, and pre-approved by CPS Energy by calling (210) 353-2SAV.
- Rebates are paid on a first-come, first-serve basis. Submission of an application does not guarantee a rebate.
- The unit must be placed in service within the City of San Antonio and the rebate recipient must be a CPS Energy customer.
- Equipment must be installed by a licensed electrician, all City, State and Federal laws and ordinances must be obeyed.

LakeLeaf said:
There seem to be a large number of people here who have chosen to hire their own electrician to do the install. Some are buying the AV unit, others are holding out for the others to become available and the competition to drive the prices down.

Quite a few here have even run their own conduit and pulled their own wires so that the hired electrician only needs to connect the wires on both ends.

Did they tell you why your quote was so high? It sounds like that is enough to upgrade your electrical service, install a new main breaker panel and run conduit from your panel to your EVSE location - which must obviously be in a different state then the panel.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks! Good to be here.

One of the most frustrating parts of the deal is that they will give absolutely no details on the price breakdown. No matter how much I beg. I can guess though. And you obviously have significant experience with this or you're psychic because you're right on: distance to the panel is the culprit. They almost couldn't be further away on my property: NW corner of the house exterior panel and SE back of the detached garage is where I want the EVSE. It will require about 150ft run of wire plus a 40a circuit (which I have room for in my panel). But that is all. So the price breakdown is about $950 for ESVE and then $4500 for the circuit, 150ft of wire/conduit and trenching through the yard. I priced out the hardware and wire and it can be done for under $500. So that is $4000 for digging a trench?!? All I can figure is that they are estimating a team of 4 skilled electricians at $100/hr digging with spoons for 10 hours. I had a local electrician estimate everything but connecting the ESVE and he would do it for ~$800. Not sure what is going on over there at AV.

One question I bet you could give me good advice on is: 2 different local electricians have said they would do the work without a permit because it is a "huge hassle" and nothing existing is being altered just a new circuit added. They would charge significantly extra for completing the permit. This first hit me unlawful or at least risky, but I've never done any electrical upgrades before except changing out light fixtures so I don't have a clue. Both companies are reputable and have been around awhile. The more research I do the more gray area it seems to be. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I am new to the forum. Ordered my Nissan Leaf with Twin City Nissan, Port Arthur Texas on December 9th, 2010. I am being verbally told by the salesman that the most likely delivery date will be sometime in late April 2010. Ordered a Silver SL with a quick charge port.

bluemoose said:
One question I bet you could give me good advice on is: 2 different local electricians have said they would do the work without a permit because it is a "huge hassle" and nothing existing is being altered just a new circuit added. They would charge significantly extra for completing the permit. This first hit me unlawful or at least risky, but I've never done any electrical upgrades before except changing out light fixtures so I don't have a clue. Both companies are reputable and have been around awhile. The more research I do the more gray area it seems to be. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hmmm...you could phone your county and ask about permits or inspections for a new circuit to your garage, that would let you cross-check the electricians. If the story is the same from two established electricians, it might be reasonably accurate - they're in the trenches every day...so to speak ;)...so should have an accurate read on local requirements.

I think the only trouble you could have down the road is with your insurance company if the circuit failure caused the fire that killed your garage...I'd think that would be more about working to code rather than permits. Don't know beyond that...please let us know what you find out?

Andy

LEAFer said:
Welcome Cris. Did you already make the $99 reservation via the Nissan website, and if so, when (date and time) ? And if so, did you receive an email that tells you what month you could expect to be able to place a RAQ ?

Hi Leafer -

I did pay the $99 reservation fee via the website on 8/23/10 8:06 PM. I did receive an email on 12/10/10 stating this:
Your order timing for the month of February 2011 has not changed, and your Nissan LEAF will take approximately 4 - 7 months from order date to its arrival at your dealer.

Other than that and aside from a few "ra-ra" emails, I haven't received anything updating my reservation status.

Anyway, good to see Texas represented here. I'll be down in Pearland for the drive event on Sat if anyone else is going.

The fun's just getting started, indeed!

Jimmy

I will be down there tomorrow morning. I have a drive scheduled at 10:30 and my wife has one scheduled at 11:30. There is no way I am going to share my time behind the wheel. Plus I will get to play with the gadgetry while she drives.

CrisG said:
LEAFer said:
Hi Leafer -

I did pay the $99 reservation fee via the website on 8/23/10 8:06 PM. I did receive an email on 12/10/10 stating this:
Your order timing for the month of February 2011 has not changed, and your Nissan LEAF will take approximately 4 - 7 months from order date to its arrival at your dealer.

Other than that and aside from a few "ra-ra" emails, I haven't received anything updating my reservation status.
Cool ... RAQ and order as early as next month ! :)

Hello Everyone, this is my first actual post, I filled out my details on the map and spreadsheet about a month ago. I see there are quite a few Texas Leafs on the map but only three on the spreadsheet. I test drove the Leaf yesterday morning in Pearland and again this morning. 1st test drive was great (to much excitement), second test drive was even better after knowing what I was looking at on the dashboards and touch screen. Two questions. :?: :?: Does anyone know how many Texas Leafers are on this site? When are deliveries in Texas supposed to start?

San Antonio charging stations:

AndyH said:
Ingram Park Nissan has a double L2 unit directly in front of their sales building, and one single L2 unit on the left side of the building on the service driveway. This parking lot is not gated overnight.

Went by Ancira Nissan today - they have 2 charging stations for public use (besides the ones in the service area) and I believe one of those 2 is a level 3!!!! Great because I ordered a LEAF with the quick charge and Ancira's on my way home! (So I have back-up plan if I have to do extended errands on my long commute home.) Those stations will be available whenever the gates to the dealership are open.

shawnbrig said:
Does anyone know how many Texas Leafers are on this site? When are deliveries in Texas supposed to start?

Well, there are more and more Texans showing up every day now so the party is really getting started! Shawnbrig - it looks like you will be one of the first in Texas to get your LEAF with your early Sept. order date. Congratulations. Check with your dealer. You might be looking at late January - or at least by the end of February.

ecoobsessive said:
Went by Ancira Nissan today - they have 2 charging stations for public use (besides the ones in the service area) and I believe one of those 2 is a level 3!!!! Great because I ordered a LEAF with the quick charge and Ancira's on my way home! (So I have back-up plan if I have to do extended errands on my long commute home.) Those stations will be available whenever the gates to the dealership are open.

Dang! I decided against the L3 because I couldn't find any information on a public L3 plan for DFW. I didn't consider that Nissan dealers might have publicly accessible L3 chargers.

Also, I've heard that the DFW dealers are doing their last unit of training soon. Any ideas where the Houston / Austin / San Antonio dealers stand on that?

jhm614 said:
Dang! I decided against the L3 because I couldn't find any information on a public L3 plan for DFW. I didn't consider that Nissan dealers might have publicly accessible L3 chargers.

If you go to the test drive event coming your way eVgo is going to be there. I have already signed up with them in Houston and it sounds like they are going to be in Dallas also, but they haven't made the announcement official yet. They made mention of a Texas triangle eventually when I spoke to them.

In Houston they are putting L3 all over so you will never be more than 5 miles from a L3.

Wow, checked my account this morning and I am hoping that the delivery information is incorrect. I have moved from pending to estimated delivery month of April. Um I think I was much happier when it said pending. :evil: A birthday delivery would be nice March 23.

April, that bites, and you put your order at the beginning of September. Guess, that puts me into May or June :roll:
To think, I thought we would start getting deliveries in Texas in this month :lol:

Back