Checking the Goods

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowjumpingfrog

I just bought a used 2015 Trim S from a local Honda dealer. Naturally, the dealer did not have much of an idea of what they were selling. After reading this forum for a few hours it has brought up some questions that I feel I need to find answers for.

The car does not have the quick charge port so does that mean the charger in the car is a 3.3kWh? How can I determine this?

How do I know if the heating is provided by resistive, heat pump or hybrid?

The car does have Carwings and Nav (option?) I created an account with Nissan Connect but, the app is not terribly helpful and AT&T service is poor in my neighborhood.
I've got an ODBII reader on order and Leaf Spy on my phone, this will probably not be of any use answering these questions but, it seem useful to get battery info.
My first trickle charge took 18 hours. This will not really fit into my life style so a level 2 charger is going to be necessary. Should I future proof and get a 10kW EVSE or just get what I need depending on the charger that is onboard?
I realize the are totally noob questions so I appreciate the folks that take the time to get me started on my EV adventure.
Cheers!

If the car is a 2015 model, has the navigation system and CarWings, and does not have the quick charge port, it must be an SV. Heat pump (hybrid) HVAC system and 6 kW onboard charger were standard features on the 2015 SV.

Nissan converted the car interface from CarWings to Nissan Connect EV in September and there have been problems. That may be why you cannot get connected (there is a thread under Range/Efficiency/CarWings). Also, the used car was probably registered in CarWings by the previous owner so you may need to call Customer Service for assistance in getting the system registered to you.

If you need to install a new circuit to your garage for the L2 EVSE, I suggest you size the wires large enough for a future upgrade, but install either a 30-ampere (requires a 40-ampere circuit breaker) or 40-ampere (requires a 50-ampere circuit breaker) EVSE now to take advantage of your 6 kW charger and minimize your expense.

Enjoy your new ride,
Gerry

lowjumpingfrog said:
The car does not have the quick charge port so does that mean the charger in the car is a 3.3kWh? How can I determine this?
I'd suggest finding a public charger and seeing if it reports its charging speed. Either that or time how fast it charges vs the dashboard's predictions of how fast it'd charge at various levels (or, wait, it should show charging-time numbers for 6.6 if it can do 6.6)

lowjumpingfrog said:
I just bought a used 2015 Trim S from a local Honda dealer. Naturally, the dealer did not have much of an idea of what they were selling. After reading this forum for a few hours it has brought up some questions that I feel I need to find answers for.

How do I know if the heating is provided by resistive, heat pump or hybrid?

The car does have Carwings and Nav (option?) I created an account with Nissan Connect but, the app is not terribly helpful and AT&T service is poor in my neighborhood.
(Everything below is supposed to apply to 2013-2015 Leafs. '11 and '12 equipment levels, colors, etc. were different.)
Your post is confusing. The S trim does NOT have nav. The S trim has dull plastics around the center stack and knobs on the stereo and HVAC. It looks like http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Metallic-Slate-S-interior.jpg (hope this works for you).

The S trim has no cellular radio and thus cannot have Carwings nor Nissan Connect.

The specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit may help.

If it DOES have nav, a touchscreen, shiny plastics around the HVAC stack and NO knobs in the center stack, it could be an SV or SL. S and SV are available in black cloth interior only. SV is available in black or light cloth interior. SL is only available w/black leather.

If it's an S w/no CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port) on the left, it only has the 3.x kW OBC (NOT kWh). S trim only has resistive heater.

All 2013-2015 SV and SL have 6.x kW OBC and a hybrid heater.

http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/ features a 2013 SL (and thus w/CHAdeMO inlet) w/premium package. The HVAC stack, shiny plastics, etc. there are the same on the SV as the SL.

You probably have a Base version of the SV. Hopefully you do, because that will still have the heat pump and Nav system, plus the 6.6kw charger. None of the S model cars have the heat pump.

LeftieBiker said:
You probably have a Base version of the SV. Hopefully you do, because that will still have the heat pump and Nav system, plus the 6.6kw charger. None of the S model cars have the heat pump.
Yep. And on (2013-2015) SV and SL trims, the presence or lack of CHAdeMO inlet had nothing to do w/3.x vs. 6.x kW OBC. It was 6.x kW OBC, regardless.

On 2013-2015 S, the only way to get 6.x kW OBC was w/the "charge package" that also added the CHAdeMO inlet.

If you let us know where you live there may be another Leafer in your area that can get together with you and check it out for you. If you were in the San Diego, CA area I would be happy to plug in my LeafDD to find out what we can, and also show you around the Leaf. Congrats on your new way of driving.

Wow, thanks everyone. So it sounds like the Honda dealer did not know or was told the wrong trim level on this Leaf. It does do Nissan Connect, aka Carwings, has XM radio (which the previous owner has not discontinued yet), and something that pretends to be a nav system. The dash charging display does show times for charging with 3.3kW, 6.6kW and 120, so it sounds like it does have a 6.6kW OBC? (thanks for the correction) I'll go to costco tomorrow, they have some chargepoint chargers there. I am in Salt Lake. This car is freaking incredible.
I did convert the previous owners Carwings account to Nissan Connect. The tech support person who helped me do this was awesome. Took all of 5 minutes.
Love driving it, despite running the battery down to nothing on the way home from the dealer. Thanks for the help from everyone. As I get more experience with this car I'll try not to be such a NOOB on this forum.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of look up service based on VIN to determine the unknowns?
Cheers

Yes, there is virtually no chance (barring some serious first owner modifications) that you have an S. It isn't even a Base SV. You have an SV with Premium Package but no Charge Package, much like mine. You really lucked out.

lowjumpingfrog said:
Wow, thanks everyone. So it sounds like the Honda dealer did not know or was told the wrong trim level on this Leaf. It does do Nissan Connect, aka Carwings, has XM radio (which the previous owner has not discontinued yet), and something that pretends to be a nav system. The dash charging display does show times for charging with 3.3kW, 6.6kW and 120, so it sounds like it does have a 6.6kW OBC? (thanks for the correction) I'll go to costco tomorrow, they have some chargepoint chargers there. I am in Salt Lake. This car is freaking incredible.
I did convert the previous owners Carwings account to Nissan Connect. The tech support person who helped me do this was awesome. Took all of 5 minutes.
Love driving it, despite running the battery down to nothing on the way home from the dealer. Thanks for the help from everyone. As I get more experience with this car I'll try not to be such a NOOB on this forum.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of look up service based on VIN to determine the unknowns?
Cheers
If you have an SV or SL, you will definitely have nav. Pics of mine at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=433581#p433581.

Yes, the '13 to 15 SV and SL display 240 volt 6 kW, 3 kW and 120 volt charge times.

The '11 and '12 with 3.x kW OBC only displayed 240 volt and 120 volt charge times. I'd imagine a 2013 - 2015 S without charge package (and thus w/3.x kW OBC) would do the same.
LeftieBiker said:
Yes, there is virtually no chance (barring some serious first owner modifications) that you have an S. It isn't even a Base SV. You have an SV with Premium Package but no Charge Package, much like mine. You really lucked out.
Did I miss something? What signs did he give saying he had premium? He has premium only if he has the Bose subwoofer in the trunk and the camera button (also pictured above) on the head unit for Around View Monitor. There are also Bose logos on the 2 front speaker grilles on premium.

For AVM, there will also be cameras under the hamburger logo in the front, under the 2 mirrors + a rear camera.

cwerdna said:
Yes, the '13 to 15 SV and SL display 240 volt 6 kW, 3 kW and 120 volt charge times.

The '11 and '12 with 3.x kW OBC only displayed 240 volt and 120 volt charge times. I'd imagine a 2013 - 2015 S without charge package (and thus w/3.x kW OBC) would do the same.
I have both S and SV 2013 and it's right, the S only displays 120v and 240v 3.3kW charging on the screen, the SV has the extra line for 240v 6kW charging. The S only has the standard and smaller touch screen for the radio, no NAV, but I have seen S models with the backup camera installed to work on that same small screen.

Sounds like a good find. If you got S pricing on an SV! I have to think that they wouldn't be able to overlook the leather seats, so assuming you have an SV here.

Would be curious to know how much they sold it for, no pressure to share. Still congrats.

If you take the VIN number in to the Service Manager at your local Nissan dealer they should be able to tell you the service history and if there are any outstanding recalls, etc. They can also tell you the in service date, so you will know when the warranty runs out.

Hi Lowjumpingfrog, I'm pretty sure I test drove your car last month. It should be red with tinted windows. If it is the dealer didn't know much about it. It would be an SV with no charge or premium package. The first thing I would do is disconnect the aftermarket amp wiring. It had a huge wire going directly from the 12v battery to under the rear mat. It would be VERY bad if it shorted out. And the rear tires were pretty worn. Otherwise it was a nice car, I almost bought it but I found a S with the quick charge for the about same money. Happy motoring.
NR427

Back