AV EVSE-RS User Guide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
http://www.responsivespace.com/mjw/EVSE-RS%20User%20Guide.pdf

Sorry, quite difficult to scan a manual with any hope of decent quality...hope it suffices. Also, looks like I missed a page - page 68 in the main section. Don't worry though, pretty much the same as page 69, but deals with the upper mounting hole rather than the lower one. :D

Very nice indeed! I didn't know there were "Classes" of circuit breakers and was confused when it stated not to use a "Class A" breaker. Doing some Googling I learned that refers to a GFCI integrated breaker, good to know!

Yes, "normal" GFI detectors are too sensitive to handle the sudden current changes that EV charging might encounter.

So, a less-sensitive GFI-type detector should be built into EVSEs.

Thus, even the occasionally-seen advice to use the L1 EVSE on a GFI circuit might be suspect.

Do the codes require a GFI inside the L1 EVSEs?

Bothhalves.jpg

Undershieldfromside.jpg

BoardPic1.jpg

BoardPic2.jpg

Power supply could have input coils wired in parallel for 120v operation, but they wired them in series for 240v operation ... so not a "universal" power supply.

Remove a jumper for 208v operation.

No obvious provision for different "Max Current" settings.

In the main housing, it looks like there are 3 torroids, one large and two smaller.

The smaller one nearest the relay with just the black wire going through it is probably monitoring current, perhaps to shut down if the car draws too much current.

The smaller one in the center has both the white and black going through it, most likely used as the "GFI" sensor.

The big torroid, as AndyH suggested, is probably for noise suppression on the AC power lines (and Ground line).

thanks for the efforts in scanning
It looks like they only need the 3 wires
If I have a Dryer outlet that I no longer need and is connected to a 40 amp breaker
if there any reason I can't re-purpose the wires/breaker?

garygid said:
Do the codes require a GFI inside the L1 EVSEs?

The electrical code won't require a GFI inside an EVSE, but the J1772 standard does.

I don't recall if it's the J1772 doc or an EVSE guide, but they suggest that the EVSE should not be fed from an external GFI...come to think of it, might have been the commercial Coulomb units...

The user guide is no longer available.

Is there some other guide available for my electrician to look over for him to give me estimate?

That would be great....my installer took both my box and user guide and then "lost it". Looks like I'll now be getting a Blink installed as part of the EV Project so I'll be selling it after they do the install. Nice to have a user guide to go with it :p .

Back