observation on requirements for AV charging station install

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackvalkyrie

Hi,

New here - first post ... I've been watching the site for a while. I'm on the waiting list for a leaf, and I happen to be an electrician. I've been planning my install for a charging dock and observed with extreme curiosity the "Electrical Capacity Requirements" listed on page 50 of the install manual for the AV charging dock I found on this site. ( http://www.responsivespace.com/mjw/EVSE-RS%20User%20Guide.pdf )

All but one of the of the requirements make so sense and have no bearing on whether or not a charging dock could be installed.

According to page 50 of the manual the requirements state you must have:

-200amp service
-sufficient space/capacity
-not be older than 1990
- if the dwelling is copper wired.

point by point,

-to install the unit you must do a load calculation based on the actual premises it is being installed in, the ampacity of the service panel and what is being used in the household - your local inspector and the federal and state electrical code will be able to assist you, but a 200amp service isn't required by any shape or form to support a 12-27 amp draw from car charger. It's the overall load calculation that will determine if you can support a charger, not simply requiring a 200amp service. this requirement makes no sense in my case my 100amp service can easily support the charger.

-sufficient space is a given, and BTW is the only "requirement" that actually applies - this would be determined by the previously mentioned load calculation

-must not be older than 1990. Why? we hate back to the future and star wars episodes that didnt suck? seriously - does your house expire like a jug of milk if it was built before 1990?

- if the dwelling is copper wired. again, unrelated - aluminum wire is present in hundreds of thousands of homes in north america, and there is no issue with it. like anything - it must be inspected and properly maintained. Guess what - your main feeder to your house is aluminum, as are the transmission lines.

If this has already been discussed on the site, my apologies! I am looking for input on these apparent "irrational" rules someone (most likely an attorney?) created.

I agree with your comments. FWIW, these "requirements" are NOT being enforced. My AV installation was done by an electrician with city permit in a pre-1970 house with 100 Amp panel. A load calculation was done and it was close, but OK.

Welcome to the board - based on my knowledge of the NEC I agree with all your points.

BTW - I suspect that if you filled out your location you may get PMs from people looking for knowledgeable electricians such as yourself to help with their EVSE install!

thanks for the request for install assistance, but I'm booked solid with what would be considered "real" electrical work.

FYI any homeowner should be able to install this themselves - you can find all you need at lowes or home depot and you can pull a homeowners permit with your city.

Back