Desert battery April 2014 good in the HEAT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstack6

Nissan has a new chemistry battery due out in April 2014 that can take the heat with still no cooling. This could be big. Even other EV manufacturers can't take the heat if they are not plugged in or driving. This could really make a difference to all EV drivers and owners South of the Mason Dixon line. Even the Far East could use these.

I can't wait to see how they do in the real world. It won't be long now.

jstack6 said:
Nissan has a new chemistry battery due out in April 2014 that can take the heat with still no cooling. This could be big. Even other EV manufacturers can't take the heat if they are not plugged in or driving. This could really make a difference to all EV drivers and owners South of the Mason Dixon line. Even the Far East could use these.
I can't wait to see how they do in the real world. It won't be long now.
Your source for this information is ?

It has been rumored for introduction some time around the middle of the year but there has been no confirmation or timetable announced... It also may initially only go in to vehicles subject to battery capacity warranty replacement... Anything else is simply pure unsubstantiated conjecture.

jstack6 said:
Nissan has a new chemistry battery due out in April 2014 that can take the heat with still no cooling.

Your source for this information is ?[/quote]

We were told direct by Nissan EV presidents when they had a meeting with us in Phoenix. Also read the article below.

http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=31119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the meeting in August of 2013, I recall us being told that, "if the hot battery passed testing currently underway, it would likely start to appear around mid next year..." Billy and Erik, who were siting on either side of me at dinner, added that it would likely appear first in cars slated for battery warranty replacement and for warmer destinations, and later probably in all vehicles since it was "only slightly more expensive and made sense not to have two different batteries..." YMMV.

jstack6 said:
Your source for this information is ?

smkettner said:
I would be more excited if Nissan would announce a recall on the existing defective battery and replace them all.
Sure would be nice. I'm not going to qualify for the warranty, and am also unwilling to start leasing a battery in a car that I own outright. Our LEAF will continue to get used as its capacity fades, but less and less. On the plus side, I no longer have a daily commute down our cool mountain and into the warm/hot valley below, so the capacity loss going forward should be much slower.

smkettner said:
I would be more excited if Nissan would announce a recall on the existing defective battery and replace them all.
That would be the honest thing to do. Based on past history I really doubt that would ever happen.

Maybe the new battery has had failures in testing and that's why we haven't heard anything.

OTOH isn't Nissan pretty good at keeping a secret? As I recall the Leaf itself was something of a surprise when it was announced. My guess is new models, new batteries, and other improvements will pop somewhat unexpectedly; they need to keep stuff under wraps to avoid killing current sales.

LT, Seems like a secret but if it works as it seems to have done I think there will be a lot more information about it and some of the other vehicles and ideas. A battery that can take the heat is something that Tesla, FORD and all the other automakers would want. Even hybrids.

Only time will tell and the release ,even limited is getting closer. I can't wait to hear more about it and get real world testing results.

At that meeting in Scottsdale they even told us they were going to test drive a new EV at the Nissan proving grounds the next day. I think they have lots of new projects but it takes rime to ramp up and release details. The next few year will be very interesting.

abasile said:
Sure would be nice. I'm not going to qualify for the warranty, and am also unwilling to start leasing a battery in a car that I own outright. Our LEAF will continue to get used as its capacity fades, but less and less.

Same here. Its getting more challenging to take the LEAF at ~80% capacity. I can't imagine what a pain its going to be driving it with only 68% before I qualify for a new battery. The less I drive it, the less it will degrade, but then I might not qualify for a new pack. So, my only other option is to charge it more often to 100%, just deal with it, and hope it degrades to 8 bars before I give up. :cry:

jstack6 said:
LT, Seems like a secret but if it works as it seems to have done I think there will be a lot more information about it and some of the other vehicles and ideas. A battery that can take the heat is something that Tesla, FORD and all the other automakers would want. Even hybrids...
Perhaps you will turn out to be right, but my take on the lizard battery was that it would be better than the current wilting battery, not that it would be the ideal solution for heat-related degradation. Assuming that it checked out during testing. A degradation rate of half that of the current battery would be getting back in line with what we were led to expect when we bought the early LEAFs.

We shall see. Regardless, no warranty replacement for me: my current projection is ~30% degradation at 60 months.

After watching Dahn's Lithium Ion video that someone posted I'm a lot more optimistic that this next generation battery will be MUCH better. If Nissan has been able to tap into any of that research, it appears that the right recipe of additives makes the battery many, many times better in several ways, but especially with the heat issues. If any of you haven't taken the 1 hour+ to watch it, I highly recommend doing so.

keydiver said:
After watching Dahn's Lithium Ion video that someone posted I'm a lot more optimistic that this next generation battery will be MUCH better. If Nissan has been able to tap into any of that research, it appears that the right recipe of additives makes the battery many, many times better in several ways, but especially with the heat issues. If any of you haven't taken the 1 hour+ to watch it, I highly recommend doing so.

Link, please?

adric22 said:
keydiver said:

Link, please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxP0Cu00sZs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back