Lease ending options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Lease is up on my leaf mid Jan.
I went to two dealers today. I see the experience is still as horrible as always.
I will forgo the rant about the useless "vultures" they have circling the lot as soon as you pull in that know NOTHING about cars or finances.

First dealer had me there 45 minutes. All I wanted to know was if there were any lease deals. I'm trying to decide to just buy out my lease (which would come out to about the same payment for a 3 year loan on the residual) or preferably lower my payment and not have to worry about the fact that my 2011 desperately needs a battery and tires.

The useless "eye candy" they had help me literally went on to the dealers website and typed "leaf lease" into the search. Well, hell I could have done that.
I want the quick charge port, so I was told I had to get the SL. Well they searched their extended inventory and found no SLs without black leather. I don't want a black interior in AZ.
45 minutes later I walked out with a business card and a handshake telling me that he would call if he found anything. I'm holding my breath...(not!)

I went to another dealer and again got greeted with "eye candy". She seemed just as useless a the first one. I told her what I was looking for and she brought over the real sales guy. But a minute later she comes over and shows me the brochure that says the SL comes in nothing but black leather. Wow, she wasn't completely useless!

Now I'm reading around and see people talking about getting an SV with a QC port, which I specifically asked the first dealer if it could be added as an option and they told me they couldn't. And people wonder why I DESPISE dealers.

So I figured I'd ask here. Can I get an SV with a QC? I assume Christmas time is a good time to get a great deal so I was looking now.

Of course there is always the option of waiting for the 14s with their hot battery...but if I'm leasing, probably wont make too much of a diff.

turbo2ltr said:
Lease is up on my leaf mid Jan.
I went to two dealer

So I figured I'd ask here. Can I get an SV with a QC? I assume Christmas time is a good time to get a great deal so I was looking now.

Of course there is always the option of waiting for the 14s with their hot battery...but if I'm leasing, probably wont make too much of a diff.

If you want the light interior, you must get the SV. Yes it has QC as an option. We have one.

turbo2ltr said:
But a minute later she comes over and shows me the brochure that says the SL comes in nothing but black leather.
One of my frustrations with the 2013 options. I like leather, would prefer it, but don't want black.

turbo2ltr said:
Can I get an SV with a QC?
Yes.
You can get most of the options available on the SL on the SV. I think the only thing you can't get is the 17" wheels and tires, and the black leather.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11192#p257141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

turbo2ltr said:
Of course there is always the option of waiting for the 14s with their hot battery...but if I'm leasing, probably won't make too much of a diff.
You might consider extending your current lease for six months (possibly longer) till the "Hot" battery is available. Are you already at the point you qualify for battery replacement on the lease vehicle under the capacity warranty? If so, lease extension to get to a new vehicle on a new lease with the "Hot" battery might work well.

Now I'm reading around and see people talking about getting an SV with a QC port, which I specifically asked the first dealer if it could be added as an option and they told me they couldn't. And people wonder why I DESPISE dealers.

They could have been scamming you, or they could have been confused. The QC option can't be "added" to any Leaf - it has to be factory-installed. Still, even the S model has it available.

Yes. Unfortunately on the '13 Leaf, S only comes in black cloth and SL only comes in black leather. I don't like the black interior (and didn't want to pay for SL and leather) so I have a light interior '13 SV w/QC (CHAdeMO) + LED and premium packages.

Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may be the most helpful to the OP.

Thanks for the info everyone. I should have done my homework before going to the dealer. Armed with this new info, I have found a couple SVs with the QC/LED package and light interior in the area I am checking out. There are only about 4 in the valley.

A general negotiation question, can I use the difference between market value and my residual on the lease return as leverage on the new lease vehicle price? One dealer was very interested in knowing about the leaf I'd be returning off lease. I found this a bit surprising as I didn't think it had anything to do with the new transaction. What do they do with these cars? Does NMAC sell the car to the dealer for the residual? My residual is $15.6k looks like they could turn it around and get anywhere between $16k and $19k out of it at retail prices. Can I use this to my advantage when negotiating?

Otherwise maybe I'll just buy it out and get a new battery. I mean there isn't anything I REALLY want out of a new one except maybe the 6.6k charger, but I can live without it. Wouldn't mind having the 2014 batter though, which I am supposed to be able to get under the voucher program ( but I haven't been following what has been going on there)... What I really wanted was to lower my payment, which buying it out would not do unless I went with a 4 year loan instead of a 3 year. But it's an option..

When you turn in a leased car the car belongs to nmac and will go to auction. The dealer you turn it in to has the right to purchase it at residual If desired. Its unlikely they will choose to buy it.
You will get nothing from that transaction.
What you can do is tomorrow call nmac and tell them , you are CONSIDERING leasing a new Nissan, what can you do for me???
They will often offer you some incentive you can use at whatever dealer you go to
Get the offer in writing from them
They might waive a. Fee or damage or something or waive your last months payment!
Work them!
I say work nmac and lease a 2014sv with QC the 6.6kw on board is worth it.

Good luck

turbo2ltr said:
Thanks for the info everyone. I should have done my homework before going to the dealer. Armed with this new info, I have found a couple SVs with the QC/LED package and light interior in the area I am checking out. There are only about 4 in the valley.

A general negotiation question, can I use the difference between market value and my residual on the lease return as leverage on the new lease vehicle price? One dealer was very interested in knowing about the leaf I'd be returning off lease. I found this a bit surprising as I didn't think it had anything to do with the new transaction. What do they do with these cars? Does NMAC sell the car to the dealer for the residual? My residual is $15.6k looks like they could turn it around and get anywhere between $16k and $19k out of it at retail prices. Can I use this to my advantage when negotiating?

Otherwise maybe I'll just buy it out and get a new battery. I mean there isn't anything I REALLY want out of a new one except maybe the 6.6k charger, but I can live without it. Wouldn't mind having the 2014 batter though, which I am supposed to be able to get under the voucher program ( but I haven't been following what has been going on there)... What I really wanted was to lower my payment, which buying it out would not do unless I went with a 4 year loan instead of a 3 year. But it's an option..

There is only one in the valley without dealer addon's and that is at Autonation Nissan. Ask for Brian Shirley - he got me into my SV QC/LED/Premium with light interior.

Or go to Coulter on the west side they have a used one with 1500 miles on it.

Thanks all..

I just picked up a 2013 SV with premium and QC options.
Zero down lease, $361/mo. $14xxx residual. Money factor with a LOT of zeros before it.

Sure beat the Rairdon "deal" at $425, $2500 down. The 2013 car was only $150 more than the 2011.

Though I'm a bit miffed at the options nissan gave us. I'm late to the 2013 game so I'm sure it's been discussed. I ended up going with my second least favorite color (white) because when I went to drive the Blue SV with only the QC package, I instantly missed the backup camera. I assumed a lot of things would just be there like my 2011 SL and they weren't. Homelink mirror, and rear cargo cover are two big ones. Didn't notice the cargo cover until I was driving away. Might have to try to find a used one.

Having buyers remorse spending the extra for the premium package. The bose system is not nearly as "better" as the stock system as one would think. Pretty weak actually. AroundView option isn't necessary. I know how to park. I just wanted the backup camera for safety. Wish the SV just came with the backup camera (no around view). I misunderstood and thought the premium package also brought the homelink mirror, but it didn't. Without the premium package, the payment was $337

I found the seats on the 2013 to be a bit less comfortable than the 2011s. Not enough "bucket". Hoping I get used to it.

On the up side, the dealer let me swap my upgraded portable EVSE from the 2011 with the new one from the 2013 so I could keep the upgraded one. I'm sure I will enjoy the 6.6kw charger as well.

^^^
Is that for a 2 or 3 year lease? How many miles/year allowed?

Yeah, it's a bit lame that only the SL includes the cargo cover. I had to buy a cargo cover for my '13 SV, which I'll be selling used when I turn in my car. Yep, my SV doesn't have Homelink. It's my first car since late 2001 to not have Homelink. My 02 Maxima GXE (lowest trim, had almost no options available), 04 350Z Enthusiast (2nd lowest trim, also almost no options available), and 06 Prius (NL trim, 2nd highest trim) all had it included.

I generally like the Bose stereo, even though I'm definitely not a fan of Bose, the company and their products. I LOVE the AVM, even though I know how to park. I didn't think I would until I lived w/it for a few weeks.

Congrats, wise decision I think! Sorry I just noticed this thread. I was curios if any of the dealers mentioned the $1000 loyalty rebate for 2011 and 2012 owners, which Nissan offered after some form of support for their early adopters was requested. If you didn't get it, it might be still time for the dealer to call Nissan corporate. Could help take care of a few lease payments.
newownermnl

turbo2ltr said:
Thanks all..

I just picked up a 2013 SV with premium and QC options.
Zero down lease, $361/mo. $14xxx residual. Money factor with a LOT of zeros before it.

Sure beat the Rairdon "deal" at $425, $2500 down. The 2013 car was only $150 more than the 2011.

Though I'm a bit miffed at the options nissan gave us. I'm late to the 2013 game so I'm sure it's been discussed. I ended up going with my second least favorite color (white) because when I went to drive the Blue SV with only the QC package, I instantly missed the backup camera. I assumed a lot of things would just be there like my 2011 SL and they weren't. Homelink mirror, and rear cargo cover are two big ones. Didn't notice the cargo cover until I was driving away. Might have to try to find a used one.

Having buyers remorse spending the extra for the premium package. The bose system is not nearly as "better" as the stock system as one would think. Pretty weak actually. AroundView option isn't necessary. I know how to park. I just wanted the backup camera for safety. Wish the SV just came with the backup camera (no around view). I misunderstood and thought the premium package also brought the homelink mirror, but it didn't. Without the premium package, the payment was $337

I found the seats on the 2013 to be a bit less comfortable than the 2011s. Not enough "bucket". Hoping I get used to it.

On the up side, the dealer let me swap my upgraded portable EVSE from the 2011 with the new one from the 2013 so I could keep the upgraded one. I'm sure I will enjoy the 6.6kw charger as well.

wow, we are mirroring each other (almost) like you (and in the same delivery) i got mine from Rairdons as well. this time I went to Oly Nissan, got an S with charge package, so went the opposite of you and glad I did not spend the extra money. the only thing i really wanted was the cruise control. heater would be nice but rarely used the old 2011 heater and with seat heaters and heated steering wheel, less likely to use heat now than ever.

too early to really say how I feel but i went from the Rairdon's deal paying $15,600 total over the loan to paying $8601.25 for this one (total subject to change. read blog for details)

glad you mentioned the seats. thought i was crazy and i just wasnt adjusting the seats right but the 2013 seats are a definite downgrade from the 2011. now, i had an SL but there was no difference in seats unless its a purposeful downgrade on the S?

but I also went from light cream colored interior to black. with a kid, should be nicer to keep clean although i will say the 2011 cleaned up rather nicely with some pretty nasty spills

surfingslovak said:
Congrats, wise decision I think! Sorry I just noticed this thread. I was curios if any of the dealers mentioned the $1000 loyalty rebate for 2011 and 2012 owners, which Nissan offered after some form of support for their early adopters was requested. If you didn't get it, it might be still time for the dealer to call Nissan corporate. Could help take care of a few lease payments.
newownermnl

that discount DOES not have to be taken at the time of purchase. you can submit request directly to Nissan for that discount and you have like 90 or 120 days after purchase to do it....cant remember exact time frame (pretty bad considering i saw the form yesterday... :oops: )

I have to admit, given the OP's (well documented) extreme battery degradation history, I'm surprised you didn't wait for the 2014 "hot pack" or even BUY your 2011 and then get a FREE "hot pack" in 2014.
I'm happy to say I still have no regrets over buying and expect to get a (free) "hot pack" within the next couple of years.

Stanton said:
I have to admit, given the OP's (well documented) extreme battery degradation history, I'm surprised you didn't wait for the 2014 "hot pack" or even BUY your 2011 and then get a FREE "hot pack" in 2014.
I'm happy to say I still have no regrets over buying and expect to get a (free) "hot pack" within the next couple of years.

Nissan advised that all LEAF owners who did not get the "hot pack" would receive a coupon to exchange for one. So he "should" still have that card to play and it looks like it wont be a long time coming either

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:

Nissan advised that all LEAF owners who did not get the "hot pack" would receive a coupon to exchange for one. So he "should" still have that card to play and it looks like it wont be a long time coming either

I thought the hot pack coupon was only for those who had to get warranty battery replacements prior to the hot packs being available. Are you saying EVERY LEAF OWNER gets a coupon for one? If so, I completely misunderstood the coupon offer....

vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:

I thought the hot pack coupon was only for those who had to get warranty battery replacements prior to the hot packs being available. Are you saying EVERY LEAF OWNER gets a coupon for one? If so, I completely misunderstood the coupon offer....

everyone who qualifies for one. is there a question of whether he will qualify or not?? sure seems pretty likely he will

Stanton said:
Good to hear that your decision has proven to be the correct one for your circumstances, and I hope that you will qualify for the pre-announced "hot battery". I believe that the OP was contemplating keeping the vehicle for sentimental reasons, since he had one of the earliest VINs. In the end, he apparently decided in favor of a new lease, because it lowered his monthly commitment; he would have financed the buyout of the lease. Personally, I believe that this was the correct decision considering the OP's location. Unless he was able to get the "hot battery" and keep the car for several years, the depreciation on a Phoenix LEAF might have resulted in a larger financial burden than he intended to shoulder. That said, the local owners I talk to claim that the 2013 pack seems sturdier than in prior years. Let's hope that is the case, and the OP will have a good experience with his new LEAF.

vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:

I was under this impression too. My understanding (which may or may not be correct) is that the voucher program were for people getting warranty replacements where the replacement was not the 2014 pack.

It was certainly a consideration to keep my 201. I mean if I kept the 2011, I could probably time it to get a 2013 battery now (after year 3) and a 2014 battery 3-4 years down the road giving me a total of 9 years of batteries, but I probably wouldn't keep the car that long anyway. I went for the 2013 now because 1: a recent decrease in my income has me wanting lower payments, and I didn't want to do a 5 year loan on the residual of my 2011. 2: the 2013 is (supposedly) supposed to be better than the 2011. I'm not terribly inconvenienced with the 30+% degradation so if it can do better this next three years, I'm fine with that. 3: I simply didn't want to go through the hassle of getting my battery warrantied. I hate dealing with dealers, and I work a lot and don't have time to play musical cars... as well as find someone to give me rides back and forth on multiple occasions through the process. I'll gladly pay more in the long run to avoid hassles like that. My time is worth quite a bit to me. 4: The whole voucher thing is yet to be official, which left me feeling uneasy relying on it for a decision. With the 2013, I have a 2013 battery like I'd have if I replaced the 2011 now (and without the hassle), and if there is a warranty replacement on the 2013, I'd get the 2014 hot battery as a replacement anyway so I don't see a big diff in my options other than I'm paying $65 a month less for the next three year.

To answer some questions:
3 year/ 12k mi lease

I did get the loyalty $1000, technically it was used as the down payment. I did not know about this, the dealer volunteered the info.

To give you guys a reference in how different the deals were:
The Gross Cap Cost was $150 different between the 2011 and 2013 with the 2013 being more expensive).
The Residual on the 2013 is about $800 lower (so I'm paying more depreciation through the term on the 2013)
Down: 2011: $2500, 2013: Nothing out of pocket, technically $1000, from the loyalty incentive
Monthly payments: 2011: $425, 2013: $361
Total Rent charge for the term: 2011 - $4400, 2013 - $294

Yeah. Rairdon can go stick it.

The seats are annoying me. My belt gets stuck under the lumbar of the seat and pulls my pants down (I wear a very stiff belt with embedded plastic in it, making it worse). I feel the lumbar area is rather soft. And there isn't enough support under your knees. I think the seat "hugs" you a little more than the 2011, but doesn't make up for the lack of support.

The AVM is nice to make sure you are straight in a spot, but as with the backup camera, I find it uncomfortable to move the vehicle while looking at a screen. I want to be looking outside and switching back and forth between outside and inside I feel is even worse than just looking at one or the other.

I just realized the headlight adjustment "scroll wheel" is missing. I used that often on my 2011, and once again I ASSumed it would be on the 2013 with the LED package...but nope.

Back