Questions we still have about Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BruinLEAFer said:
smkettner said:
The only affordable option for me will be WIFI. I sure hope someone learns how to hack the system to enable direct wireless communication.
Some towns and cities are fortunate enough to have free wide area WiFi, but not many. Only a cellular connection would work for a system like CARWINGS, because cellular service is available in most places nationwide (or worldwide).
It could update and communicate 12 hours a day when parked at my house. If data gets old it could just recommend finding wifi.

smkettner said:
BruinLEAFer said:
smkettner said:
The only affordable option for me will be WIFI. I sure hope someone learns how to hack the system to enable direct wireless communication.
Some towns and cities are fortunate enough to have free wide area WiFi, but not many. Only a cellular connection would work for a system like CARWINGS, because cellular service is available in most places nationwide (or worldwide).
It could update and communicate 12 hours a day when parked at my house. If data gets old it could just recommend finding wifi.
I'm going to take a guess that the cost of Carwings is more than just the cellular communication: From what others have posted, I gather that everything goes through a central computer somewhere, which knows where charging stations are, etc. Of course, here in Spokane, there won't be any charging stations (other than a few public 120-volt plugs) and I have an attached garage, making it as easy to walk out and plug the car in as to sit down at the computer, log on, and tell it to charge. Carwings will serve no purpose for me. And if it requires proprietary software, I won't install it anyway. Nissan has already demonstrated how incompetent it is in the software field with their buggy web site. Heck, I don't even have a wi-fi network at home.

OK. Have some answers. Test drive today in San Diego was cool (as expected). Mostly non-knowledgeable people, unfortunately... successfully caught a tour-guide and a know-it-all off guard when I asked at what point Nissan considers a battery pack's degradation low enough to qualify for warranty service - not that I was expecting an answer, but I tried. The only tidbit I heard that I hadn't previously heard was around the free gas-loaner for longer trips thing. The senior guy at the event said that this was originally planned only for the UK (due to their stats saying that many more European families only have one car and had more range anxiety)..but that after the press-related bits, they were "unofficially, considering it in the US as well as one of their head product guys supported the idea".

Ok, on to some details.

2. What A2DP/ACRCP bluetooth music streaming does Leaf support
Don't know which, but can confirm my ipod touch 2nd gen (w/the IOS 3.x software upgrade to enable bluetooth) worked great via A2DP to the leaf. On the nav screen, just hit menu, config/bluetooth (or similar), an alerted popped up asking me if I was pairing a hands-free device (I selected 'no'), added a device (typed a PIN), put my ipod in bluetooth search mode, it found 'MY-CAR', paired it by confirming the pin, done. Only had time to test it from my ipod but pulled open a playlist, clicked shuffle, switched the radio into the correct AUX mode, and was then controlling the stereo from my ipod wirelessly. Worked flawlessly as I walked around the car afterwords.

3. What OBD/CAN connector does Leaf support
Again, no one knew...but I crawled under the driver's foot area looking around and found it. High Res Shot after the jump: http://barboni.org/pics/Leaf_obd.jpg

9. Will you be able to communicate with your LEAF if there is no adequate GSM or 3G cellular signal where your car is located ?
No. Just like your phone won't receive a phone call or txt message unless it has service/signal, neither will your Leaf. As with phones, signal coverage in any given point will vary due to things like the chip being used/power output, antenna type/size, atmospheric conditions, parking garage concrete walls, etc.

sdbonez said:
2. What A2DP/ACRCP bluetooth music streaming does Leaf support
Don't know which, but can confirm my ipod touch 2nd gen (w/the IOS 3.x software upgrade to enable bluetooth) worked great via A2DP to the leaf. On the nav screen, just hit menu, config/bluetooth (or similar), an alerted popped up asking me if I was pairing a hands-free device (I selected 'no'), added a device (typed a PIN), put my ipod in bluetooth search mode, it found 'MY-CAR', paired it by confirming the pin, done. Only had time to test it from my ipod but pulled open a playlist, clicked shuffle, switched the radio into the correct AUX mode, and was then controlling the stereo from my ipod wirelessly. Worked flawlessly as I walked around the car afterwords.

From the car - what could you do ?
- See track listings/metadata on the dash
- skip/fwd/rwd using the leaf buttons

evnow said:
4. Does the parking brake Auto-Set-ON when the LEAF is turned off?
No. The event contractor said "yes" but that's not how it worked. You have to set it just like you have to set the ordinary emergency brake.

What OBD/CAN connector does Leaf support?

As of 2008, all vehicles sold in the United States are required to support the OBD ISO 15765-4 signaling system. Traditionally, Nissan also has their own CAN-bus communication variant over the same plug, but it is the same for all their vehicles.

daniel said:
Carwings will serve no purpose for me.
That's right. If all you plan to do is plug in and charge using your home EVSE and use the LEAF's internal timers to schedule charging times and pre-heating or pre-cooling times, then you don't need CARWINGS. You want CARWINGS if you want to do those things remotely.

You will want CARWINGS if you want to:
-find the newest, nearest charger by updating charging station locations on your Nissan LEAF's navigation system
-remotely check vehicle charge status and start charging so you can be sure your Nissan LEAF is ready to go when you are
-remotely start, stop, or set the climate control timer to pre-warm or cool your car without using your battery
-stay informed with charge complete notices, plug in reminders
-plot your route with a map that includes charging station locations

These things may seem trivial, but I'm sure some people will find these features indispensable.

Which brings us to the unanswered question of: How much will Carwings cost? Nobody knows, or knows when they will know, or knows if they will know before delivery.

Fortunately, the car seems perfectly usable without it.

The residential Blink charger seems to duplicate much of the charge-control-timer-monitor wireless functionality for charging at home anyway.

GroundLoop said:
The residential Blink charger seems to duplicate much of the charge-control-timer-monitor wireless functionality for charging at home anyway.
Your right. The Blink home charger is a much smarter EVSE. But the smart data features requires a membership or account in the Blink network. Will this be free?

Questions: If the car needs to be towed (assuming it can be towed), how should the car 'settings' be configured?
a) Does the car need to be switched on? Presumably yes to disengage the electric brake.
b) Should neutral or drive be selected?
c) When being towed, will regenerative charging occur?

Regards Bob

The "tour" guide at the Test-Drive in Anaheim was saying that the Nav map data, and the LEAF's firmware and software would be kept up to date by the LEAF's "connection".

Personally, I doubt that the Map Data is updated, but ... downloading data and software is not impossible, but ... it could take a long time to download bigger files.

There is no verification of this "feature" of CARWINGS yet, I believe.

Is a wheel-jack of some sort included?

If notm what good is the included lug-nut wrench?

What is the purpose of the third tool, with the "eye" in the end?

Does it stick into a jack to operate the jack, and turn by sticking something through the "eye"?

Yes, charge-location POI locations, and hopefully charge-dock type and status too.

But, actual Map (street-related) data seems less likely.

Nicely-done Software and Firmware updates would be nice too.

One question I have is, how durable is the underbelly cover. If it is hit by debris on the highway will it damage it?

Has anybody "felt" the underbelly cover to see if it is metal, or perhaps some high-impact plastic?

But, yes, hitting sufficiently "bad" (large, hard, or pointed) debris at high speed could damage almost anything.

But, I supect (hope) it will be quite "durable" rather than just a "cosmetic" sheet.

garygid said:
Yes, charge-location POI locations, and hopefully charge-dock type and status too.
But, actual Map (street-related) data seems less likely.

The tour guide at the San Diego event was not unclear about it: He specifically said that road data, including new roads, would be updated wirelessly to the Nav system. He went on at length about how most Nav systems are out of date from Day 1, but the Leaf will be different.

"That new road that was just completed, it will be updated in your Leaf Nav."

I too was surprised. Of course, he could be misinformed.

(There is an 8GB Map SD card in the Nav unit.)

Back