mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:17 am

aqn wrote: It may well be that every LEAF in AZ (and in TX, with 7 reports so far) will have this problem and soon. I don't yet see any indication why that might not happen, just as there is yet no indication that it will.

Don't discount other areas. We still don't know what the temperature break point is before this kind of loss starts to occur. In my 'hood the temperature is supposed to be a more normal (for the season) 93 degrees for the next couple of days. But that's positively balmy compared to some the extremes in summer temperatures we've seen historically. Could an extended heat-wave be a trigger for initial bar loss in other areas too? Only time will tell.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 78,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

opossum
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 500

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 am

opossum wrote:Just got this from Scott. Do all of us really need to make yet another phone call? Maybe someone can just share with this person the newly expanded wiki tables? I have been feeding information to Vicki to expand those tables today.

"Nissan customer care just called. She said that if anyone is having battery capacity loss problems they should call her. (name redacted by request) 877-664-2738."

I just received a callback from her. No earth-shattering information. Nissan is looking into the issue. She is still urging everyone who does not have a case number to call her directly. She said she cannot take the information from the MNL wiki page, as it is not a Nissan site.
Last edited by opossum on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azdre/opossum, Phoenix, 3/21/11 purchase, 10/2/12 lemon law return.
23k miles, 3 bars lost, officially rated "normal" by Nissan

charge
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17706

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 am

[quote="mwalsh We still don't know what the temperature break point is before this kind of loss starts to occur. [/quote]

This is the $64k question for those outside the extreme temp areas. Under what conditions does heat exacerbate battery degradation??? Is it 24 hours worth of 100 degree weather and car parked on asphalt during the day? Until we know for sure, I'm playing it safe. If the temps are over 95, I'm taking the ice.

IMHO, we need to know what it takes to fix the battery. In the past Nissan said, no big deal, just swap out a few cells, just hundereds of bucks to do so. If that's no longer true, we need to know why and how much it will REALLY cost to fix/replace the battery.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/30/ni ... ent-costs/
Hope this will be me and my leaf in 10 years..."I sit in my old car, same one I've had for years
Old battery's running down, it ran for years and years"

aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 am

opossum wrote:Just got this from Scott. Do all of us really need to make yet another phone call? Maybe someone can just share with this person the newly expanded wiki tables? I have been feeding information to Vicki to expand those tables today.

"Nissan customer care just called. She said that if anyone is having battery capacity loss problems they should call her. [REDACTED AT Nissan Social Support Team's REQUEST, VIA drees."
opossum wrote:I just received a callback from her. No earth-shattering information. Nissan is looking into the issue. She is still urging everyone who does not have a case number to call her directly. She said she cannot take the information from the MNL wiki page, as it is not a Nissan site.
One contact is better than no contact. (I've added this contact info to the wiki.) But, the cynic in me wonders if this contact carries any weight, or when we tell Nissan "...but every one of us have contacted you...", Nissan would say "You did? Whom did you contact? We have no record. Etc." Is this the person who would assign a case number?
Last edited by aqn on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anna Nguyen

vrwl
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:01 am

JPWhite wrote:The Japanese culture is different to ours and whereas GM responded to the Volt Fire Fiasco quickly, offering to buy back cars etc, the Japanese culture is such that they don't want to lose face by admitting fault. They will internally accept the problem and later remedy without so much as an admission. When I worked at ComputerVision many moons ago, the Japanese division downplayed they had a call center for customers to call with an issue, simply having a call center would indicate a faulty product. When they called me for technical support they never claimed our software was faulty, but asked us to help them correct their error in being unable to complete a task. To tell someone else they had goofed up would be rude and they simply wouldn't do it, but they did reach out for help nonetheless.

I can see how their culture might account for the delay in response and the need to fully research the issue before making any attempt at solving the problem. Let's hope that's what's happening right now. Only time will tell.
Vicki
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
34000 miles

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 am

Nissan now has a point person to collect information from owners who feel that they are having an issue with the battery capacity of their car.

While that person may or many not be the person you actually talk to, do please call 877-664-2738 to register your concerns.

I recommend that if you believe that you have an issue with your car that you call. Keep in mind that the call agent's job will be to collect the owner information and pass it on. They will not have any solutions or timelines to offer, so be nice and civil when you speak with them.
Last edited by OrientExpress on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

vrwl
Forum Supporter

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am

mwalsh wrote:Don't discount other areas. We still don't know what the temperature break point is before this kind of loss starts to occur. In my 'hood the temperature is supposed to be a more normal (for the season) 93 degrees for the next couple of days. But that's positively balmy compared to some the extremes in summer temperatures we've seen historically. Could an extended heat-wave be a trigger for initial bar loss in other areas too? Only time will tell.

Yes, I'm concerned that with all the attention on Phoenix, other places like Florida or Texas or Oklahoma or inland CA might get lost in the shuffle over at Nissan. Of particular concern to me personally is what happens with those people who did not purchase them as "New" from a Nissan dealership and instead, purchased them as "Pre-Owned". My car only had 89 miles on it and sat for 9 months in a Hertz Car Rental parking lot unused. They auctioned it off and now I own it via Toyota. So my car is the same age as yours, but essentially a year behind the curve with regards to being used. Will the people who have purchased Pre-Owned Leafs be covered in whatever decision Nissan makes about these cars?
Vicki
34000 miles

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 am

TonyWilliams wrote:They aren't flaky. The guy in the Seattle area (where they are experiencing historically lower temps, while the rest of the USA bakes) has over 40,000 miles has a VERY strong battery. It's also never seen real heat.

There's nothing wrong with the battery in moderate temps, and moderate use.

Yea, my tomatoes don't like this weather. Two days over 80F so far in July. Cool and rainy today, we need some warmer and dry weather soon, or I'll get at best some green tomatoes. Sigh. I'm sure you will all offer sympathy. Ok, maybe not... :roll:

The Leafs may "migrate" to cooler climates. Which might make the local parking lot identification problem harder. Rather than the current "oh, there is the Leaf, that's my car" or even "there is a red Leaf, that one is mine" but "darn, the whole parking lot is Leafed, and 37 of them are red, just where did I park again"? :P

TonyWilliams wrote:Which makes the case for battery TMS all the more pressing. Elon Musk (Tesla, SpaceX, PayPal) thought Nissan was crazy to offer the car without TMS. ... I think Nissan still has a chance to save the day, by offering either a new battery or a different car, to affected owners. Honestly, I doubt they will, however.

A higher temperature battery retrofit and/or TMS retrofit and/or a buyback all might make sense, both to limit damage to Nissan from negative fallout and limit the damage to affected owners. Also things like white painted parking with L1 charging for thermal management at shopping/work and fans or even AC in home garages. But expecting a logical solution isn't always logical.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

vrwl
Forum Supporter

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 am

WetEV wrote:... or even AC in home garages.

The amount it would cost me to AC my garage would equal another car payment each month. However if Nissan wanted to pay for the additional AC costs to cool my garage each month, that would be another thought altogether.
Vicki
34000 miles

azdre

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 am

OrientExpress wrote:Nissan now has a point person to collect information from owners who feel that they are having an issue with the battery capacity of their car.

I recommend that if you believe that you have an issue with your car that you call and speak with her. Keep in mind that her job will be to collect the owner information and pass it on. She will not have any solutions or timelines to offer, so be nice and civil when you speak with her.

I've said it before, but it's worth saying again. Every individual I've dealt with has been well-intentioned, has listened to me, heard me, and have done everything in their power to help. The people behind the logo, on the front lines have been very good and just so far unable to help. I'm actually quite impressed with Nissan's hiring at the levels I've been able to speak with. They are in a tough spot and I don't envy them.
Last edited by azdre on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”