Vendors for commercial charging stations in US?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhengst

I'm researching feasibility of installing charging stations for retail branches of my company. Any suggestions or experiences with vendors out there?

I know about Chargepoint, Schneider, and EV Project. Anything else?

If any one knows the rough cost per L2 station and DC Quick charging station, that would be great.

Thanks!
Leo

I would make a phone call to SemaCharge. There are about a dozen Walgreen stores in this area that have these chargers and they work first time every time.

https://www.semacharge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?Ntt=electric+car+chargers&storeId=10151&N=0&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&rpp=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lowes has 4 different models of the GE DuraStations available on their website. Starting at just over $3600, going up to over $8000 for one that can charge 2 vehicles at once.

ok schneider has a wall mount starting at 2000.00, single pedestal mount 2700.00 ,dual pedestal mount 4000.00 and if you add rfid reader its 750.00 these are level 2 if you want a level 3 it is 38,600.00 with credit card reader.all in stock ready for delivery!!!!

Why not take advantage of the Plug In America EVSE accessory tracker to see what's out there and available?

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessory-tracker?type=EVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the GE Wattstation thread: http://store.ontility.com/products/ev-charging-stations.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems almost too good to be true:
GE Single Pedestal EV Charging Station
$840.00

GE Single Pedestal EV Charging Station with RFID Reader
$1,300.00

GE Double Pedestal EV Charging Station
$2,082.00

GE Double Pedestal EV Charging Station with RFID Reader
$3,002.00

GE Pole Mount EV Charging Station
$725.00

GE Pole Mount EV Charging Station with RFID Reader
$1,185.00

GE Wall Mount EV Charging Station
$610.00

GE Wall Mount EV Charging Station with RFID Reader
$1,070.00

GE Wall Mount EV WattStation Plugin Model
$750.00

GE Wall Mount EV WattStation Hard Wire Model
$750.00

Are these EVSEs for your customers/the public? If so, definitely talk to Chargepoint. You may be able to get them installed for little cost through a government grant.

zhengst said:
TonyWilliams said:
What part of the world might these chargers be installed at?

In the US. Potentially most of the states.

If any one knows the rough cost per L2 station and DC Quick charging station, that would be great.

I might suggest not wasting a bunch of money in states that are not likely to have EVs in any volume for decades (like my home state of Montana... always 20 years behind).

Since there are lots of national chain stores I won't try and guess which one. Walgreens, as already stated, is your biggest competition. I really like Clipper Creek equipment for L2 charging; simple, robust, dependable. Built in California, not China, as far as I know.

There are lots of others, but if your are the organizer, and on the steep learning curve, I recommend having a full service company like Coulomb (Chargepoint) do everything.

For DC charging, costs range from $10,000 to $80,000 per unit. The $80,000 units are government pork barrel projects made by Ecotality / Blink, and are notorious for poor dependability amongst other significant issues. They weigh 1,750 pounds each in two giant containers.

The other end is the $10,000 units offered by Nissan, built by Sumitomo, and sold in the USA by AeroVironment. I suspect you'll pay closer to $15k-20k before you actually own one of these that are waterproof, RFID and credit card reader equipped. Nissan just gave away 400 of these in Europe.

My personal favorite is a charger made by AndromedaPower.com, for about $25k. They are very compact, very flexible in their application, weigh 150 pounds in one small container, and are not in any way funded by the government. Built in California, also.

There are about 30 models of DC chargers out there now, but many are only sold in Japan or Europe, or somewhere else in the world without lawsuits and UL listing quasi requirements.

If you like spending money, but for something innovative, JFE is offering a charger that pulls only 20kW from the grid and chargers at 50kW. It uses a big battery pack to do this; about $70k.

Anyhoo, good luck.

TonyWilliams said:
zhengst said:
TonyWilliams said:
What part of the world might these chargers be installed at?

In the US. Potentially most of the states.

I might suggest not wasting a bunch of money in states that are not likely to have EVs in any volume for decades (like my home state of Montana... always 20 years behind).

Since there are lots of national chain stores I won't try and guess which one. Walgreens, as already stated, is your biggest competition. I really like Clipper Creek equipment for L2 charging; simple, robust, dependable. Built in California, not China, as far as I know.

There are lots of others, but if your are the organizer, and on the steep learning curve, I recommend having a full service company like Coulomb (Chargepoint) do everything.

For DC charging, costs range from $10,000 to $80,000 per unit. The $80,000 units are government pork barrel projects made by Ecotality / Blink, and are notorious for poor dependability amongst other significant issues. They weigh 1,750 pounds each in two giant containers.

The other end is the $10,000 units offered by Nissan, built by Sumitomo, and sold in the USA by AeroVironment. I suspect you'll pay closer to $15k-20k before you actually own one of these that are waterproof, RFID and credit card reader equipped. Nissan just gave away 400 of these in Europe.

My personal favorite is a charger made by AndromedaPower.com, for about $25k. They are very compact, very flexible in their application, weigh 150 pounds in one small container, and are not in any way funded by the government. Built in California, also.

Tony, do you know if the Orca Air unit can run on single phase 240 volt service or does it have to have 3 phase input ?

KJD said:
Tony, do you know if the Orca Air unit can run on single phase 240 volt service or does it have to have 3 phase input ?

Full disclosure: I will own one in a few days.

Yes, operates on single or three phase, AC or DC, 200-900v, to 50kW.

Operating power is adjustable with software.

Compared to the Blink product is like an Apple iPad next to a USSR politburo computer design.

For level 2 stations, especially with the Tesla Model S hitting the streets this month, a high power J1772 EVSE, 240V 70A that charges at about 60 miles per hour of charging is worth thinking about for one of the charging stations when you are installing several and have the electrical capacity for it. The cost is pretty much the same as other public level 2 stations, somehting like $3,000 for the EVSE and $1,000 to $6,000 for a typical, easy install. Difficult installs always cost more... Way less expensive than a DCFC. Currently the Toyota 2012 RAV4 EV, Tesla Roadsters, Tesla Model S and the upcoming Tesla model X can take advantage of the higher power J1772 EVSE. The higher power J1772 EVSE will work with any J1772 vehicle or adapter, even the Plug In Hybrids, they just won't take advantage of the extra power since they have low power on board chargers.

Hi Tony - Great running into you yesterday - City of Orange - City Mall, and glad to give up the ALWAYS operational Clipper Creek station there so you could get where you were going. Too bad Blink can't have stand by Clipper Creek EVSE's at each of their stations. Those things always go and go and go and go. And - if they received no revenue from the Clipper Creek, customers would be ok with Blink failures.

hill said:
Hi Tony - Great running into you yesterday - City of Orange - City Mall, and glad to give up the ALWAYS operational Clipper Creek station there so you could get where you were going. Too bad Blink can't have stand by Clipper Creek EVSE's at each of their stations. Those things always go and go and go and go. And - if they received no revenue from the Clipper Creek, customers would be ok with Blink failures.

I got just enough charge (about an hour) to go the 11 miles to the Mitsubishi Eaton DC charger. Then, 95 miles to home required a quick stop for L2 enroute, and turtle mode about 1/4 mile from my house. Another over 200 mile day.

Only the second time this car has been to turtle (first was Sept 15 in Phoenix on purpose).

Back