First Fuji DC charger lands in California

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

cb3ad30a.jpg

7158b875.jpg

c03fe768.jpg

984b96d3.jpg

d616d096.jpg

Thanks.. so the plug has only one switch?.. I assume it unlocks it when you are done. Push the plug home, the NG lights up and you are ready to start charging?.

Herm said:
Thanks.. so the plug has only one switch?.. I assume it unlocks it when you are done. Push the plug home, the NG lights up and you are ready to start charging?.

The plug is as easy to use as a gas pump. No directions needed.

Light, too.

Everything that the big clunky Yazaki (version 1 and 2) is not.

I do not know the location, and Tony might not either (yet).

However, the North side of San Diego, just off I-5, perhaps somewhere just above the I5/80 "Y", would get a lot of business, I suspect.

Is that charger sitting in Angus' garage, too?

This CHAdeMO plug looks much easier to use than the other ones. Hopefully it's cheaper, too!

Randy said:
"Green button" for stop, eh? I'm sure that will be a pet peeve for Jeremy :)

Yup, it bugs me, but it is part of the standard. Although Aerovironment looked the other way and put green as start and red as stop. ;)

I think the Japanese writing certainly compounds the issue, but they will hopefully change it to english before deployment. :) Do love that connector though!

Jeremy

TonyWilliams said:
Herm said:
The plug is as easy to use as a gas pump. No directions needed.
Light, too.
Everything that the big clunky Yazaki (version 1 and 2) is not.

This is great news, I was a bit worried about how delicate the other plugs were.. push it in and it locks, ready to charge.

Sweet. Is this one intended to charge at 25 kWh or 50 kWh in it's deployment.

Any idea how much this unit costs? I had not heard about the Fuji model until today.

TonyWilliams said:
This is one of the first ones. It's limited to 25kW.

I bet they will start making the 25kwh ones smaller and cheaper soon and then they could cause some real competition with and advantage over L2.

I found this site when trying to look up the cost of the Fuji charger online.
There are lots of chademo charges out there... And several that run at 20-25 kwh.

http://chademo.com/01_CHAdeMO_Chargers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDrive said:
TonyWilliams said:

I bet they will start making the 25kwh ones smaller and cheaper soon and then they could cause some real competition with and advantage over L2.

There are lots of chademo charges out there... And several that run at 20-25 kwh.

http://chademo.com/01_CHAdeMO_Chargers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There will undoubtedly be all sorts of DC chargers, that operate at various kW capacities available, in the near future.

This is one of the reasons why I expect L2 to, eventually, pretty much fade out of the BEV public charging picture.

The limiting factor in the rate of public charging will always be specific to the charger location-the kW available at that site.

It makes much more sense optimize the charge rate, available at the site, by maximizing the kW of that charger, than by putting a larger, more expensive, faster L2 charger in each BEV, "just in case" you find a higher kW L2 site.

The BEV's L2 on board charger, need only be as fast, as is required for "home" off-peak charging, once most all public charging, is by DC.

EVDrive said:
TonyWilliams said:

The charger that I'm using is software controlled, so I can dial in any kW load, up to 75kW, take any input from 208 to 900 volts, including AC or DC, or a combination of each, and it's small.

It can communicate with another unit so that the overall load is never above whatever threshold is dialed in. It can accept two nozzles, so that when one charge is done, the next car starts immediately.

The future is here.

Back