Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will 2013 electric Chevy Spark be built in Korea?

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/10/15/will-2013-electric-chevy-spark-be-built-in-korea/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what the Volt fans who used to bash Leaf by saying foreign built cars shouldn't get tax credit say now (one of the wierdest logic was - since China won't give rebates for US built Volt, we shouldn't give tax credit for Japan built Leaf, even though Japan gives rebate for US built Roadster).

evnow said:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/10/15/will-2013-electric-chevy-spark-be-built-in-korea/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what the Volt fans who used to bash Leaf by saying foreign built cars shouldn't get tax credit say now (one of the wierdest logic was - since China won't give rebates for US built Volt, we shouldn't give tax credit for Japan built Leaf, even though Japan gives rebate for US built Roadster).
If, however, that same question were posed to Mark Modica, associate fellow at the National Legal and Policy Center, you'll get a different answer. Modica says he has it "on good authority" that the Spark will be built in Korea.

According to Modica, GM North America director of communications, Greg Martin, admitted that both the conventional and electric versions of the U.S.-bound Chevy Spark will be manufactured in South Korea.
EVNow, you have got to be kidding me for spreading the BS / FUD from Mark Modica. Pick any other resource. Do a search on that guy? If this clown told me it was raining I'd have to go to the window to see for myself.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=Mark+Modica+saturn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Modica, a former Saturn dealer GM bondholder, has leveraged his financial loss at the hands of the government bailout into a blogging position at the National Legal and Policy Center, a conservative nonprofit that “promotes ethics in public life through research, investigation, education and legal action.” At the NLPC, Modica focuses on what he believes to be corruption surrounding the auto bailout, and has written a series of anti-GM posts that make TTAC look like a Detroit hometown newspaper (

Mark Modica was a business manager at a now-closed Saturn dealership in Chalfont, Pa., and then a steering-committee member of Main Street Bondholders, a coa ition of small GM investors. He is an associate fellow at the National Legal and Policy Center.

In this thread...

World’s 10 Largest Auto Markets - other sources of this info
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...I was trying to zero in on the future of largest auto markets. All auto manufacturers *need* to understand and deal with the global market. The USA market is not as critical as it use to be.

Here was one quote from an article:
SALES of light vehicles in India are expected to skyrocket to 11 million a year by 2020, making it the world’s third-biggest automotive market behind China and the US
From this new article:
http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=234687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GM is believed to be targeting the vehicle toward Asia. "The Voltec technology in the Volt certainly has a place in the US, China, and Europe," Randy Fox of GM told us. "But there are other markets that will be best served by these vehicles."

Hurst said he expects India to be a key area of concentration for the Spark EV. There, he said, mini-car-sized vehicles are considered much more acceptable, and government agencies don't require the same safety features that have become common in the US. The biggest factor, however, could be cost, he said.

"You've got lower incomes there," Hurst said. "In India, mainstream buyers are looking at two-wheel vehicles and much cheaper cars."

GM says the smaller vehicle is also better suited to Asia's high population density. "When you get into the mega-cities and the shorter driving commutes that they have in those regions, the Spark EV might be a better fit than a vehicle like the Volt," Fox said.

scottf200 said:
EVNow, you have got to be kidding me for spreading the BS / FUD from Mark Modica. Pick any other resource. Do a search on that guy?
I didn't chk the guy - posted it since it is on ABG.

Would you donate your Volt to a worthy cause if Mark Modica happens to be correct in this case i.e. I think Spark is likely built in Korea inspite of the bad source.

scottf200 said:
Here was one quote from an article:
SALES of light vehicles in India are expected to skyrocket to 11 million a year by 2020, making it the world’s third-biggest automotive market behind China and the US
I'd appreciate if you won't use HUGE fonts. Bad forum etiquette.

Hurst said he expects India to be a key area of concentration for the Spark EV. There, he said, mini-car-sized vehicles are considered much more acceptable, and government agencies don't require the same safety features that have become common in the US. The biggest factor, however, could be cost, he said.
Yes - but if you try to sell a small EV for the price of a Camry in India - you won't have many takers. Besides, you have power shortage and unpredictability.

evnow said:

I dont trust autoblog much, in any case the A123 battery will eventually be built in the US, and that will probably be the highest cost item in the car.. I bet the motor and inverter are also made in the US.

So in light of my post about where GM is thinking about focusing the sales on the Spark (hint it is not the USA)
look at this figure/graphic on "Global consumer interest in EVs" where
GREEN is > 85% (China,India) and DARK BLUE is < 55% (USA,Japan,Canada).

If you were a auto manufacturer where would you focus your EV efforts?!?!.

EV%252520interest%252520delotte%252520touche.JPG

Delotte link: Unplugged: Electric vehicle realities vs expectations

scottf200 said:
So in light of my post about where GM is thinking about focusing the sales on the Spark (hint it is not the USA)

Did you happen to notice that the countries where this survey find the least interest in EV sales, (USA and Japan) are the very countries where most actual EV sales are occurring?

Maybe GM came to the same conclusions from this junk study as you did, and that’s why it’s basing it’s BEV and hybrid engineering efforts on designing the Ideal vehicles, Sparks and Volts, for the crucial Myanmar market...

edatoakrun said:
scottf200 said:

Did you happen to notice that the countries where this survey find the least interest in EV sales, (USA and Japan) are the very countries where most actual EV sales are occurring?
Can you show a little perspective here? You are talking about a single point in time right? Don't auto manufacturers need to plan out several years in advance? Isn't that smart business for all involved. ie. you want Ford and Nissan to plan to sell EVs around the globe to the biggest markets. Good for their bottom line and the R&D of EVs. Helps bring better EVs to the USA where only a small percentage want EVs.

"scottf200" You are talking about a single point in time right?...
Sure if you define the history of automobile sales as a "...single point in time".

I find your posts amusing, but I have to ask.

You don't really believe all the BS you post here, do you?

Have you developed a way to profit from your misinformation efforts?

I'd hang out on Volt sites if somebody paid me. Hell, if they paid me enough, I'd even drive one of those things.

scottf200 said:
I'm guessing you have no experience on the ground in India/China. I've not been to China but I can talk about India.

While people there would definitely like getting EVs since they would work better in slower traffic with shorter distances - cost & lack of infrastructure (as in easy to charge at home !) would make adoption very slow - much slower than US/Japan/EU.

Anyway - this is all just distraction. The only place Spark EV will be sold in US (and may be EU) and it is a pure CARB play. It won't be sold in India in any large numbers. I can bet that they will sell more Spark EVs in the US than in India.

edatoakrun said:
"scottf200" You are talking about a single point in time right?...
Sure if you define the history of automobile sales as a "...single point in time".
I find your posts amusing, but I have to ask. You don't really believe all the BS you post here, do you? Have you developed a way to profit from your misinformation efforts? I'd hang out on Volt sites if somebody paid me. Hell, if they paid me enough, I'd even drive one of those things.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just pointing to published information. I almost always cite my references for people to review themselves.

Heck, I'm sure GM doesn't even know I exist. I earn my living as a software developer on the big iron. I'm just a fan of *EVs "pure and simple" as that :roll: .

It just seems everyone is focused on the USA and CA. They want to bash companies but I think companies have done their research (with plenty of local investigation on the ground) and are putting money into smart locations. I'm trying think about a new perspective on auto sales around the world. Why are you guys faulting me for that? I don't get it.

Yep! Wake me when it is over...

evnow said:
Anyway - this is all just distraction. The only place Spark EV will be sold is US (and maybe EU) and it is a pure CARB play. It won't be sold in India in any large numbers. I can bet that they will sell more Spark EVs in the US than in India.

I was relaxing reading the Chicago Tribune (print version) this afternoon and ran across and article on the Chevrolet Spark. In the article they mentioned that the Chevrolet "Spark" (Beat) has sold 400,000 (big number compared to Leaf and Volt sales experience). Looks like they have a lot foot_on_the_ground experience in other markets with smaller cars. Hopefully that will translate into understanding how the consumer will buy/use an electric car. We know other governments are acutely aware of overpopulation and smog and health issues so there are certainly incentives being offered (we know China has some).

Oct 22, 2011 Chicago Tribune article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-22/classified/sc-cons-1020-autotips-20111022_1_ev1-electric-car-chevrolet-volt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But many many articles on the same topic recently.
http://www.google.com/search?&q=400000+beat+china+india+chevrolet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chevrolet Beat/Spark - I noticed the Beat comes in Petro or LPG: http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content_data/AP/IN/en/GBPIN/001/beat-specifications.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, Scott - software developer on the big iron (mainframes)- not a sexy job but I can afford an *EV

evnow said:
Typically people want to own a compact car & a larger car. So I'd like to own a Leaf/Spark/Mitsu i and a larger CUV that is a PHEV. If executed will, Ford Energi would be my ideal second car with an engine.
I agree completely. Now that I have been living with the LEAF for two months, I realize that our second car is relegated to road trips only. That being the case, it hardly matters if it is a hybrid or a diesel as long as it gets decent mileage. More importantly, it needs cargo space and good long-distance comfort.

I am very interested in the Ford C-Max, especially the hybrid and Energi models, for these reasons:

- Large family sized cabin
- 3rd row seating (needed when we have visitors in town)
- high MPG
- plug-in capability so that we don't need to use any gas around town
- made in the USA (hopefully this will be the case)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6503&p=144067#p144067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM Announces $325 Million Plant Investment in Michigan
Tooling and equipment installation at Warren Transmission creates and saves 418 jobs
2011-10-21

WARREN, Mich. – General Motors said Friday it will invest $325 million in tools and equipment to support production of future electric vehicle components
<snip>

scottf200 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6503&p=144067#p144067

GM Announces $325 Million Plant Investment in Michigan
Tooling and equipment installation at Warren Transmission creates and saves 418 jobs
2011-10-21

WARREN, Mich. – General Motors said Friday it will invest $325 million in tools and equipment to support production of future electric vehicle components
<snip>

every little bit helps

Chevrolet Showcases Spark EV Electric Motor
GM to be first automaker to domestically produce electric motors
2011-10-26

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Oct/1026_spark_elec_mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chevrolet is highlighting its expertise in electric motors at a pilot facility in Wixom, a Detroit suburb, in advance of beginning the domestic production of electric motors at GM’s plant in White Marsh, Md., near Baltimore in late 2012. Specifically, equipment and processes to be used at White Marsh are being validated and tested in Wixom.
<snip>
GM is focused on the development of permanent magnet and induction motors for a variety of applications. During a recent tutorial at the Wixom facility, news media were given the opportunity to hand build portions of a permanent magnet motor, the exact 85 kW (114 hp) permanent magnet motor configuration that will be used in the recently announced Chevrolet Spark electric vehicle to debut in 2013.

The White Marsh facility will produce electric motors for the Spark and other future vehicles. Currently, GM uses electric motors as part of the propulsion system in nine vehicles including the Chevrolet Volt, Chevrolet Malibu Eco, Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid, Buick Lacrosse eAssist, Buick Regal eAssist, GMC Sierra Hybrid, GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Hybrid, and Cadillac Escalade Hybrid.

Wow! For all of the 2,000 of the Sparks per year, GM imports from...where...?

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. will start making drive motors for its all-electric Leaf hatchback at its Decherd, TN, engine plant in early 2013, not long after the automaker begins assembling the North American version of the EV and its lithium-ion battery packs at the sprawling Nissan manufacturing campus in Smyrna, about 75 miles away. The automaker's 1.2-million-square-foot Decherd plant, which makes engines and components for U.S.-built conventionally-powered Nissans, will be able to produce as many as 150,000 Leaf motors a year from the 100,000 square-foot area dedicated to production (left) of the electric motors...
http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/nissan-leaf-electric-motors-us-built-by-2013.html

scottf200 said:
Chevrolet Showcases Spark EV Electric Motor
GM to be first automaker to domestically produce electric motors
2011-10-26

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Oct/1026_spark_elec_mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chevrolet is highlighting its expertise in electric motors at a pilot facility in Wixom, a Detroit suburb, in advance of beginning the domestic production of electric motors at GM’s plant in White Marsh, Md., near Baltimore in late 2012. Specifically, equipment and processes to be used at White Marsh are being validated and tested in Wixom.
<snip>
GM is focused on the development of permanent magnet and induction motors for a variety of applications. During a recent tutorial at the Wixom facility, news media were given the opportunity to hand build portions of a permanent magnet motor, the exact 85 kW (114 hp) permanent magnet motor configuration that will be used in the recently announced Chevrolet Spark electric vehicle to debut in 2013.

The White Marsh facility will produce electric motors for the Spark and other future vehicles. Currently, GM uses electric motors as part of the propulsion system in nine vehicles including the Chevrolet Volt, Chevrolet Malibu Eco, Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid, Buick Lacrosse eAssist, Buick Regal eAssist, GMC Sierra Hybrid, GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Hybrid, and Cadillac Escalade Hybrid.

Back