Balboa Park Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend also contacting the EV Project on this issue.

http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php

Below is what I sent:

I attended the dedication of the Blink chargers in San Diego, and was happy that I'd finally be able to visit destinations outside the reach of my LEAF.

But every time I've driven to Balboa Park expecting to get a charge, every one of the 10 chargers have had a gas-powered car blocking access!

Without signage stating these are for EV charging ONLY, they're TOTALLY USELESS!!! I've talked to other LEAF owners who have experienced this same issue themselves, so it occurs frequently.

Please make it mandatory that when chargers are installed, signage limiting access to EV's is part of the project! I'm sure if anyone checks the usage stats of those chargers, it's very low, but the reason is they're being blocked!

The other day, (Tue, Aug 15?), I parked behind the Science Museum after work (btwn 5-6pm). There was one other Leaf Owner who had just parked. He indicated the middle charging station was not working, but wasn’t sure he had activated it properly. I gave it a try and confirmed it wasn’t working. (It kept making this funny “chirping” noise). I called it into Blink with the phone number on the back of my Blink card. They asked for the serial number which I read off the equipment tab. The next day it was working again. Thank You Blink folks!

While I was at the park I decided to take a walk over to the other 7 charging stations near the Aerospace/Sport Gym to enjoy the park and get some exercise. I wanted to see how the charging stations were being used. I was disappointed to see that every other spot was filled with gas cars as has been discussed in the thread. I did not say anything to the people coming out of the gym. Didn’t feel like I wanted to be the enforcer and confront people. I left almost feeling like I might not even want to come back and park/charge there if I this would be the typical situation.

The next day, however, I went back again after work but with a different mindset. I decided to drive straight there and park and plug in at the Aerospace (American Plaza?) location. One other EV was already there and the spaces on the North side were vacant (only one gas Van on the back side). This was encouraging. I had decided that if I did meet/talk with anyone I would put on a "positive" attitude. When one of the basketball players came out and saw two EVs charging he said to his buddies, "heh they're really charging". It seems to me that they had not really seen many EVs parking there. I think I am going to make it a habit to stop there several times a week if possible on my way home from work. And I would encourage more EV drivers to do that if they live in the area – if gas drivers see more EVs parked and charging it is less likely other gas vehicles will squeeze in between them. If people do not see any EVs parking there, you can imagine what negative thoughts they will start thinking (wasted spot) and why they may start parking there. If I see someone parking there I may say something like, “I hope you don’t get a ticket, I heard it might be pretty expensive when they start enforcing. This parking is to help promote EVs and help us reduce our oil dependence.” Other than that I hope to be having some friendly conversations, and “educating” folks on the benefits if they are ready to listen.

In the meantime, yes pls keep contacting the City to see if they can really enforce the parking intent or put up better signs. ( I have a feeling your words are starting to be heard.)

See you there.

+100 on showing up early to use the EV spots! If an ICE driver shows up and sees choice spots not getting used, they can justify taking it for a variety of self absorbed reasons. Some will always be like this until they get hit with a $$$ ticket. Most, I think, just need to actually see the spaces being used and they will steer clear. It has alot to do with public awareness... but enforcement helps speed up awareness.

We went to the Aerospace Museum lot today (Sunday) at 1:30. There were a lot of Leafs, only one spot ICEd by an SUV, and four open spaces. We took one, using the charging protocol placard. One other had a broken Blink which wouldn't recognize my card. And it was next to an (occupied) disabled space, so I didn't feel too bad when an ICE car with a disabled placard took that space. I reported the malfunctioning unit to Blink. After the play at 4:30 ours was the only Leaf left and most spaces were empty.

So I have to still say that San Diego drivers are pretty courteous. The signs on the parking spaces are still terrible and the non-enforcement of parking is worse. But it seems like someone who lives within round trip range of Balboa and doesn't *need* a charge may often be able to get a charge. Which is pretty good for the purpose of locals "showing the EV flag" to help make ICE drivers aware of the purpose of the charging stations. But I'd expect that nobody who lives farther than round trip range would be willing to visit Balboa and risk a tow truck rescue if the chargers are ICEd.

I decided to post a message to Mayor Sanders on Twitter:
@MayorSanders When are the new Balboa park EV charging stations going to get EV ONLY signage? Spots are always blocked by gas guzzlers
Response by office minion:
@OneSixtyToOne We'll pass your request on to Ecotality, which manages the charging stations. Thx for being part of SD's EV leadership!
My response:
@MayorSanders They can't help. It requires city council action. Does the mayor support such action?
Next response (must have been kicked upstairs):
@OneSixtyToOne Yes -- our office is working to get that muni code change through City Council. CC: @dgloriajr

TRONZ said:
Do you love it when people don't even know what they are responsible for?!?

The folks who reply to emails from government offices are many times just college interns (that are related / know somebody / son or daughter of army buddy, etc).

Thursday Night (Aug 25) I went to Balboa for my after work "walk in the park" and plugged in at the Chargers near the Gym/Aerospace/Auto Musuems. There were already 3 or 4 Leafs plugged in :)

As I pulled in to plug I saw a Lady who had just plugged in and so we started to talk about our Leaf experiences. Right when we where talking a hybrid ( a Lexus?) pulled in next to me with basketball players heading to the Gym. The Lady was smiling and asked them "Oh is this a hybrid and does it plugin too?" I don't remember exactly how they answered her, but they headed straight over to gym - without pluggin. There were still other parking spots a 1/2 minute or minute walking distance away, (...but they were in a hurry? )

Later that evening after my walk (around 6 pm) I was amazed at how many cars were driving around looking for parking spots. There must have been lots of events going on that night! Later even the parking lots behind the Gym to the east seemed to be filling up. I ended up staying until around 7pm partially to see what would happen with the remaining two empty EV spots and also not wanting to leave and open up a big gap that some gas car(s) would be more encouraged to pull into and park. While I was watching all the cars drive around looking for a spot to park, quite a few cars started pulling into the EV spots before they saw the EV sign - I want to give credit to these people (as there were several) who then backed out and continued looking for another spot. One more EV came and was able to park and start charging thanks to those that did not take up the space. One EV spot was left open except for a few moments when a gas car parked for 5 minutes to go briefly into the gym to talk with someone, then left.

I will continue to try and stop here after work to enjoy my "walk in the park" and plug in so that the 7 spots are more being used by EVs than not. (On Tuesday evening this same week, there were 5 gas cars parked in the EV spots :cry: ). Hope to see you there.

Was at the zoo tonight with another family who also owns a LEAF. Got there around 5:45pm and parked in the Reuben H Fleet lot - all 3 spots were open, 2 regular, 1 handicap. Charged up both cars no problem (though they don't have a Blink card yet so I used mine on both) - both cars picked up 3 hours of charge. My first public charge!

drees said:
Was at the zoo tonight with another family who also owns a LEAF. Got there around 5:45pm and parked in the Reuben H Fleet lot - all 3 spots were open, 2 regular, 1 handicap. Charged up both cars no problem (though they don't have a Blink card yet so I used mine on both) - both cars picked up 3 hours of charge. My first public charge!
FYI The museums close at 5:00 PM on weekends and unless there is some special event going on, the paking lots usually start clearing by 6:00 PM.

jcesare said:
FYI The museums close at 5:00 PM on weekends and unless there is some special event going on, the paking lots usually start clearing by 6:00 PM.
Yes, I've been down three times for the Shakespeare festival and had no problems parking and charging (arriving between 5:30PM and 7PM on Friday and Tuesday). The last time I really NEEDED that charge to get home, too. All three times I have run into another LEAF driving theater goer after the show at the charging stations.

P.S. The company did an excellent job on all three plays. They're doing Amadeus, Much Ado About Nothing, and The Tempest in the outdoor theater. There's still time to see them. Bring a blanket and someone to share it with!

http://www.oldglobe.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am thinking of printing up sheets that say "Please respect that these spaces are for Electric Vehicles only. Thank you." I figure if I keep a stack of them in the car I can put them on the ICE windshields. Over time the word may get out to the basketball players and others especially if all of us do the same.

davewill said:
The Mayor's office would seem to be the most appropriate contact since it requires council action to change this. Here you go:
http://www.sandiego.gov/mayor/contact/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

City residents should also contact their councilperson. Here's a link for that, including a map and zip code search if you don't know who your councilperson is:
http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I heard back from my Councilmember. She encouraged me to post her contact info so people who've been ICED at Balboa Park (or elsewhere in San Diego) can contact her.

Hello Mr. Williams,

Thank you for contacting Councilmember Lightner about electric vehicle parking in the City of San Diego. She asked me to respond and let you know that we are currently looking into this issue and should get back with you soon with more information. Please feel free to pass the Councilmember Lightner’s contact info along to anyone else that might be experiencing the same issue at charging stations/parking spots in San Diego.

You can reach her office at: [email protected]

davewill said:
I heard back from my Councilmember. She encouraged me to post her contact info so people who've been ICED at Balboa Park (or elsewhere in San Diego) can contact her.
I would suggest attaching a picture of the offending ICE with the email. It might have more impact.

jcesare said:
davewill said:
I would suggest attaching a picture of the offending ICE with the email. It might have more impact.
I did, but her office didn't get them (embedding pics with GMail doesn't seem to actually work). The second half of the email asked for a link to the pics (this thread) which I sent them. Any other pics folks have taken would certainly help.

pksd1 said:
Just sent an email to Mayor's office !!

I still don't see these stations pop-up in Carwings. All I see is Nissan dealer chargers.

If you recharge there and your auto update feature is set, they will be added to your nav system

jcesare said:
pksd1 said:
Just sent an email to Mayor's office !!

I still don't see these stations pop-up in Carwings. All I see is Nissan dealer chargers.

If you recharge there and your auto update feature is set, they will be added to your nav system

I hope that will be fixed, otherwise you can only find what you already know is there. :eek:

ENIAC said:
This from a June KBPS report.

It's free to charge your car in Balboa Park for the next month and a half, and will cost about $2.50 an hour after that. (The Park's Reuben H Fleet Science Center also hopes to add an electric vehicle exhibit soon.)

Wow $2.50 an hour. That like paying $60-$70 to go 300 miles (typical ICE tank range/fill-up). That's more expensive than gas.

Back