Balboa Park Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have ZERO confidence of getting a charge in Balboa Park! It's 70 miles one way for us so a charge would be essential. I will be making no plans to go there until these spaces are resolved.

Can a local post up city contact info for this issue? Would make it easier for us all to drop a line.

Right now, according to the (lacking) signage, anybody can park there. San Diego still has insufficient parking in the Park, it seems.

Even when they add signage that specifies EV-Only, ticketing, and towing, the ICEs will continue to park there ... until someone begins towing, and the tickets are HUGE.

Basically, the same experience as you saw with Disabled-Parking.

TRONZ said:
I now have ZERO confidence of getting a charge in Balboa Park! It's 70 miles one way for us so a charge would be essential. I will be making no plans to go there until these spaces are resolved.

Can a local post up city contact info for this issue? Would make it easier for us all to drop a line.
The Mayor's office would seem to be the most appropriate contact since it requires council action to change this. Here you go:
http://www.sandiego.gov/mayor/contact/

City residents should also contact their councilperson. Here's a link for that, including a map and zip code search if you don't know who your councilperson is:
http://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/

Done! Sent off an email to Mayor with forum link to the photos in this thread. A picture is worth a thousand words right?!?

Brentster said:
Also done! Letter sent to the Mayor's office from me as well.

I've also sent letters to Mayor Sanders and my District Councilman:

"I was pleased and honored to attend the ceremony dedicating these charging stations last June, and I enjoyed meeting Mayor Sanders, who spoke at this event.
Unfortunately, it is now next to impossible to use the stations to charge my Electric Nissan Leaf, because the parking stalls are almost always occupied by gasoline powered vehicles. I strongly urge that signs be erected, clearly stating that these spots are reserved for plug-in electric powered automobiles only, and that violators will be cited and towed.

Thank you for your consideration and prompt attention to this matter."

If these spaces generated revenue, Park Rangers would insure they would be available for use. Until EVSEs are pay-to-park, availability will lag demand.

I imagine that more revenue would be generated by citing cars that ice the EV spots rather than charging EVs to park there... :cool:

Why would signage permits/installation not be a part of the Ecotality contract??? Its like an architect making a building without following code or any local ordinances. Totally useless!

Five $400 tickets per day times 6 spaces ... is $12,000 a day.
Then, times even 80 days a year ... a cool million!

The more I hear/see about Ecotality, the more it appears that they are trying to sink the EV boat! Is no pro-EV overseer person monitoring their use of funds and their progress?

I was in the park the same day as those pictures were taken. One of the basketball players came out to get something out of his car. I explained to him that these spaces are for electric vehicles. He told me that when he arrived the lot was full and A RANGER told him that it was OK to park in the spot (rather than telling him to park behind the Space Museum where there are almost always parking spaces.

I went to the park office and complained - they tried to reach a Ranger for 15 minutes before giving up. I left my telephone number with them and asked the ranger to call me but I have not received as return call yet - 2 days later.

I have sent an Email to my Councilwomen requesting a new ordinance and signage which includes a fine and towing threat.

Here's an easy solution since they're planning to charge to charge - just put a regular parking meter in with the charging stations. If an ICE wants to pay to park there - let them!

garygid said:
No, bad to let ICEs park there at all.
PHEVs are bad enough, parking and not charging.
You're just gonna get EVs parking and not charging there, too. I think the only way to make sure that people move their car to open up spaces for use is to charge for time parked there. Charge even $1/hour to park there (charging or not) and it will nearly eliminate the problem.

TRONZ said:
Why would signage permits/installation not be a part of the Ecotality contract??? Its like an architect making a building without following code or any local ordinances. Totally useless!
Installation of the EVSEs was done with the approval of a park committee. Changing parking regulations requires a vote by the city council.

BTW installing parking meters in the park has been a real hot button issue. A few years ago there was a proposal to meter the whole park. If I recall the debate at the time, one BIG issue was the terms of the usage agreement that created the zoo. It stipulates free parking and it would be a real mess to meter the park and leave the zoo parking unmetered. That lot would fill first and the zoo visitors would find no parking available.

davewill said:
TRONZ said:

The Mayor's office would seem to be the most appropriate contact since it requires council action to change this. Here you go:
http://www.sandiego.gov/mayor/contact/

I've submitted the note below, but won't be holding my breath for any action -

Comments: I was at the dedication of the EV chargers at Reuben Fleet, plus those at the Air & Space Museum, so was thrilled that I would be able to drive from my home in Alpine to destinations along the coast, Point Loma, etc. But the three times I've visited B.P., all of the chargers have been blocked by gas cars! Without signage prohibiting non-EV use, these chargers are useless - if one cannot depend on at least one being available, it's fruitless to plan visits to downtown S.D. from distant points.

In a recent report on KPBS, mayor Sanders was quoted: Mayor Jerry Sanders said San Diego is taking a leadership role in adopting electric vehicles. "Once we have a basic infrastructure in place this fall, San Diego will become the testing place for EVs," Sanders said. "We'll learn from drivers how we can improve the system and ultimately San Diego will serve as a model for other cities not only nationwide but worldwide."

Please provide signage that states these chargers are for EV charging use ONLY, with violators subject to being towed, as CA Vehicle Code Section 22511 authorizes. Otherwise, EV owners from distant points cannot visit S.D. and its many attractions.

Here's sample sign verbiage: No Parking Any Time Except Zero-Emission Electric Vehicles (While Charging) Tow Away Zone California Vehicle Code section 22511 Unauthorized vehicles not displaying valid zero-emission vehicle decal identifications will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at (address) or by calling nnn-nnn-nnnn

BTW, here is the link to contacting Secretary of the DOE.

http://energy.gov/about-us/contact-us

I sent an eMail with a link to the ICE parking images in this forum. The DOE might want to know why Ecotality is getting NO use Data out of the public EV spaces we have all payed for. They are always filled with gas cars!!!

"It has come to my attention that the EV Project awarded to Ecotality is not working. Not only have they NOT installed the public infrastructure they promised but the few public charging stations they have installed do not have any signage reserving them for Electric Vehicles. The stations in San Diego at Balboa Park are now filled daily with gasoline cars. Here is a link to a Forum with many images of the spaces now unable to be used by Electric Vehicles.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3524&start=10

I believe the EV Project was supposed to install public infrastructure so that Data could be collected about Electric Vehicle use. How can any public data be generated if Electric Vehicles are unable to use the public charging stations?!? Please contact Ecotality and make them aware that "EV ONLY!" Signage must be included in the installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. If Ecotality says that noone is using the Balboa Park charging stations, then this is why. They are ALWAYS filled with gasoline cars!

Sincerely,
M--- W--------"

electricfuture said:
I was in the park the same day as those pictures were taken. One of the basketball players came out to get something out of his car. I explained to him that these spaces are for electric vehicles. He told me that when he arrived the lot was full and A RANGER told him that it was OK to park in the spot (rather than telling him to park behind the Space Museum where there are almost always parking spaces.
Too bad the charging stations were not installed in the lesser used area.

TRONZ said:
BTW, here is the link to contacting Secretary of the DOE.

http://energy.gov/about-us/contact-us

I sent an eMail with a link to the ICE parking images in this forum. The DOE might want to know why Ecotality is getting NO use Data out of the public EV spaces we have all payed for. They are always filled with gas cars!!!
This is an excellent and important point. The BMW MINI E study o’pines how most participants did not require public charging, inferring it's lack of use meant it is not desirable or needed. The reality is public charging was IMPOSSIBLE. To infer it is not needed would require a control group that CAN use public charging for comparison.

Back